1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

slamming a 65. PICS!

Old 05-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Brandonwillis90
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cobraguy
Brandon please go to your profile and create a gallery. Many of us(ie me) have filters on our (work) computers that won't allow access to free hosting sites (photobucket, youtube). Welcome to FTE can't wait to see the pics in your gallery.
ok will do, It might take me a day or two, im at work right now but this weekend is going to be spent busting *** trying to finish the 4 link and installing my front suspension componets. So hopefully by the end of this weekend i will have some photos for you guys of the truck with the bed and everything on.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:49 AM
hines182
Senior User
i dont like it when people chop and hack an old car when it's straight and rust free, but when it starts out like this one did with the bondo and rust and all, there's nothing better! it beats the hell out of scrapping and if you're gonna put all that time into restoration why not make it how you want it? awesome work!

Old 05-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Brandonwillis90
Junior User
Originally Posted by hines182
i dont like it when people chop and hack an old car when it's straight and rust free, but when it starts out like this one did with the bondo and rust and all, there's nothing better! it beats the hell out of scrapping and if you're gonna put all that time into restoration why not make it how you want it? awesome work!
man, i started out reading this thinking it was going to be a negative comment and got a little bummed out. But it ended up good, so thank you.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that's most peoples opinion. Find a scrap heap to make yer own. At least if the idea fails, a good classic hasn't been destroyed. Out west there may still be a lot of solid metal driving around, but here in the Mississippi Valley, it takes caring owners to keep the rust maggots away. And now, the scrap vultures are finding what little was left.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:12 PM
Brandonwillis90
Junior User
an update finally.

heres some photos for oyu guys.

the 4 link is finished, and everything is welded in. These pictures are from during the whole process so some are of things tacked in place in such, b ut you get the idea, and a few extras in there too.

the shop

notch welded in, just a close up to see craftsmanship. MIG welded.
Name:  PG4J0915.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  41.3 KB

bag brackets with upper link tabs welded on
Name:  PG4J0916.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  45.4 KB

finished 4 link
Name:  PG4J0919.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  86.9 KB

front triangulation tabs tacked in place
Name:  PG4J0907.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  46.3 KB

links again
Name:  PG4J0922.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  76.4 KB

gas tank
Name:  IMG_6644.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  84.3 KB

Old 05-31-2008, 06:41 PM
drof46
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice gas tank. Some people will bitch, but thanks for posting your pics on the thread so I don't have to jump over to your gallery all the time.

On the 4 link, I thought that the bags went on top of the axel, but I see they are further up. Does it affect the ride having them there? Do those rods have enough strength so you could still use it as a truck?

Thanks,

haus

Old 05-31-2008, 09:23 PM
Brandonwillis90
Junior User
Originally Posted by drof46
Nice gas tank. Some people will bitch, but thanks for posting your pics on the thread so I don't have to jump over to your gallery all the time.

On the 4 link, I thought that the bags went on top of the axel, but I see they are further up. Does it affect the ride having them there? Do those rods have enough strength so you could still use it as a truck?

Thanks,

haus
yeah those are 1/8th wall DOM tube, stronger than ****. But the lower links are going to be braced by another peice of 1/8th wall 1.5 OD as well, so they are rediculously strong.

over the axle bags are really typical and they work just fine. There is nothing wrong with that set up. A link bar mounted bag is just better. You get a better ride, more lift, amongst other things. Thats all we do at our shop, no over the axle jobs.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:57 PM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Brandon where is your shop, I'll be right over. I finally looked from home. You do some nice work. Do you angle the bags in for a reason other than it looks cool? I like the bag mount crossmmber. What kind of front end will be under it when your done.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:52 AM
Brandonwillis90
Junior User
Originally Posted by cobraguy
Brandon where is your shop, I'll be right over. I finally looked from home. You do some nice work. Do you angle the bags in for a reason other than it looks cool? I like the bag mount crossmmber. What kind of front end will be under it when your done.
yes the bags are angled for a reason to get more lift, well in theory. Because if the bag is at an angle the smallest part of the angle is going to lift to its fullest potential because of how a bag works. BUT, it is somewhat restricted by the other side of the bag maxing out. really mine are angled because of frame clearence and looks. Something is wrong on my 4 link though. But i was just happy to have it finished i didnt bother messing with it today. Ill play with it tomorow. It wants to pull the axle to the driver side.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:40 AM
drof46
Elder User
I don't know jack about fabricating, but as my previous question asked about placement of the bags, it looks like they are pushing in different direction( to the side and down). Sounds like one of them is winning. Just a guess on my part, nothing more. You may not have a problem when you actually have rubber on cement though.

later

Old 06-01-2008, 09:59 AM
matt2491
Elder User
That's some killer fabrication right there!

Old 06-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Brandonwillis90
Junior User
Originally Posted by matt2491
That's some killer fabrication right there!
thanks man

Originally Posted by drof46
I don't know jack about fabricating, but as my previous question asked about placement of the bags, it looks like they are pushing in different direction( to the side and down). Sounds like one of them is winning. Just a guess on my part, nothing more. You may not have a problem when you actually have rubber on cement though.

later
well the bags havent had any pressure to them yet so it cant be that. I think that my 4 link is all out of wack adjustment wise. Either that, or my tab idea on the cross member is going to have to be modified. eventhough i like it how it is now.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:19 AM
dragginwagon
Senior User
im pretty sure its cause the upper bars... the way it is now makes em unequal and its gunna have em fightin with each other. it looks cool, but i dont think thats gunna work.

is that a mazdawg i spy????

Old 06-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Brandonwillis90
Junior User
Originally Posted by dragginwagon
im pretty sure its cause the upper bars... the way it is now makes em unequal and its gunna have em fightin with each other. it looks cool, but i dont think thats gunna work.

is that a mazdawg i spy????

no idea what a mazdawg is BUT. the upper bars work fine now, they just needed to be properly adjusted. All is well now. But i bent my link bars a little bit playing with it. SO today i straightened them and ill have photos of the new/reinforced lower links

Old 06-03-2008, 05:21 AM
dragginwagon
Senior User
mazdawg= mazda ( the white truck in the shop pic ) thats what it looks like or it could be a isuzu.... just curious

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: slamming a 65. PICS!