old engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 09:00 PM
DirtBikeMike
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
old engine

ive got an 89 ranger with a 2.9, its a little old and the engine makes a ticking noise in one cylender, i know that it is the oil lifters, the engine has like 185000 miles on it and it still hauls ***, but i want it to go fatser, i want to rebiuld the engine but im short on cash, and i dont really wanna mess with too many bolt ons because i dont want to kill my engine. I was looking threw a catalouge the other day and i found an intake manifold for 180 bucks, would that hurt my engine in any way? Im only 16 and im more dirtbike orienteed when it comes toengines so i ont kow much everything about cars, should I try to hop-up my engine or am i just wasting my time? is there anything i can do to make it faster without hurting my engine life? any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Old 12-15-2002, 06:50 PM
bumpin_BII
Senior User
old engine

ive got an 86 b2 with the same probs. acording to alot of ppl its just the valves being out of adjustment. as for power get a k@n air filter clean out your intake runners and free up your exhaust. if your good with wiring start patching up any wires you find need it. maybe run a new wire or two. do a tune up and use heavy plug wires. also when you get the air filter you may want to look in to changing it to a cold air intake. take your bat loose and have your ignition coil checked to make sure its not wearing out. also clean your injectors and do a 02 sensor check. if it needs it replace it. all this dont cost much and will make about 50 or so more horse power. i made about 70 extra horse power in wiring upgrades alone. that just comes to show you how these things can deteroate so fast. good luck and have fun with that 2.9. these things are a hauss compared to some newer trucks. as far as hopping it up more than factory if it runs good leave it alone other than the little things above and buy a 2.9 block and just build you a custom moter. thats what i plan on doing after i get parts lined up for it. may get the parts then the block and do it in a week. who knows

Old 12-15-2002, 07:49 PM
matthews_56
Senior User
old engine