General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Memorial Day 2008

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 07:32 AM
78stepside429
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memorial Day 2008

Well, another year down since the last time I wrote about Memorial Day. I am sure I will write it for many more too. Memorial Day to many seems like the start of summer plans. Getting the boat in the water, cleaning out the garage, or just a good reason to get the bbq out and have a party. All great things no doubt, but Memorial Day is much more than that. Its a day to remember the sacrifice that so many young men and women have paid for our freedoms. It pains me everytime I see a servicemember coming home in the flag draped coffin for they will never get to be a parent or to see their kids grow up. But they are just part of the reason that we have the freedoms that we have. They are truly the heroes of this and any other war.
So as we all dust off the boat, grill, sports car, whatever it may be, take a moment of your time and remember their sacrifices. If you go to a local parade, stand up when the colors pass and take off your hat. Its the least you can do.
Everyone have a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:30 AM
jimdandy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JUST A SIMPLE SOLDIER - A SOLDIER DIED TODAY

He was getting old and paunchy
And his hair was falling fast,
And he sat around the Legion
Telling stories of the past.

Of a war that he had fought in
And the deeds that he had done.
In his exploits with his buddies:
They were heroes, every one.

And 'tho sometimes, to his neighbors,
His tales became a joke,
All his buddies listened,
For they knew whereof he spoke.

But we'll hear his tales no longer,
For 'Ole Sarge has passed away,
And the world's a little poorer,
For a soldier died today.

He won't be mourned by many,
Just his children and his wife,
For he lived an ordinary,
Very quiet sort of life.

He held a job and raised a family,
Quitely going on his way
And the world won't note his passing:
'Tho a soldier died today.

When politicians leave this earth,
Their bodies lie in state,
While thousands morn their passing,
And proclaim that they were great.

Papers tell of their life stories,
From the time that they were young,
But the passing of a soldier
Goes unnoticed, and unsung.

Is the greatest contribution,
To the welfare of our land,
Some jerk who breaks his promise,
And cons his fellow man?

Or the ordinary fellow,
Who in times of war and strife,
Goes off toserve his country,
And offers up his life?

The poilitician's stipend
And the style in which he lives,
Are sometimes disproportionate,
To the service that he gives.

While the ordinary soldier,
Who offered up his all
Is paid off with a medal
And perhaps a pension, small.

It's so easy to foret them
For it is been so long ago,
That our Jacob's and Jim's and Tony's
Went to battle, but we know

It was not the politicians,
With their compromise and ploys,
Who won for us the freedom,
That our country now enjoys.

Should you find yourself in danger,
With your enemies at hand,
Would you really want some cop-out,
With his ever waffling stand?

Or would you want a soldier,
Who has sworn to uphold and defend,
His home, his kin, and country,
And would fight until the end?

He was just a common soldier,
And his ranks are growing thin,
But his presence should remind us,
We may need his like again.

For when countries are in conflict,
Then we find the soldiers part,
Is to clean up all the troubles,
That the politicians start.

If we cannot do him honor,
While he's here to hear the praise,
Then at least lets give him homage,
At the ending of his days.

Perhaps just a simple headline,
In the paper that might say:

"OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING
FOR A SOLDIER DIED TODAY."

Local poet, name unknows. Dedicated to my Uncle Kenneth and best friend who gave the untimate sacrifice in Korea.

Thanks. jd

Old 05-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Bruker
Fleet Mechanic
All gave some, some gave all...

Old 05-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
This is a particularly reflective Memorial Day for me. One of my all-time favorite uncles passed away earlier this month. "Uncle Curly" was a great American, he served in WWII and saw a ton of action. He's one of the lucky ones who came back in one piece after spending so much of his early adult life humping around Europe ducking mortars and bullets. His son Mark and I are close cousins, we grew up in different towns but went to the same college (UCONN) together. I was honored to be a pall-bearer at the funeral done with full military honors.

Obituary
My heartfelt thanks go out again to all who have served this great nation!

Old 05-24-2008, 10:36 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just on my way out the door for my annual visit to the Oregon Veterans Home when I saw this thread. I volunteer there on a regular basis. These guys are great to talk to, and are true American Heroes.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:59 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
My grandfather served in WWII....

I'ds like to find out more about what he did in the war (Navy) but am unsure where to look. My mom never really talked to him about it,

Any Ideas?

Old 05-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Tribalgeek
Junior User

Try to find out what unit he was in and you can look it up that way. Otherwise try the Va and see if they can get you in touch with a group that can actually give you info they find.

Right now I am in iraq so memorial day can be just a reminder or it can hit real hard. Thankfull no one in my unit has died though we have hit some road side bombs. We had a truck roll over, but everyone we brought with us should be returning home in one piece. I work at a mess hall and we are getting ready for it. We've got decorations going up and the cooks that work for us are doing their best to make sure this is a great meal. I spent a good chunk of my working day today just wacthing the guys who make the cakes decorating.
Thanks for the support, and if you have nothing better to do go sit at a vfw and listen to some stories from vets. They will be heart warming or just down right funny. If the story starts with. "This one time me and my buddy were sitting in the field..." Be ready to laugh.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

No matter what your religion, no matter what your political affiliation is, no matter how busy you are, no matter who you are: take a minute to offer a silent prayer for the well being of our troops who are in harms way. And remember to thank the veterans for the freedoms we all enjoy...................

Old 05-24-2008, 06:24 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jake00
My grandfather served in WWII....

I'ds like to find out more about what he did in the war (Navy) but am unsure where to look. My mom never really talked to him about it,

Any Ideas?

You might want to start here, By requesting the military records.

How to Request Military Service Records or Prove Military Service (DD Form 214, DD-214, DD214

Old 05-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Gorilla1
Senior User
Jake, there is also a National Records place that you can request his info from. The exact title escapes me but when the grey matter lines back up I'll send it to you. Pretty easy to reqeust info from them. I had sent in a request on my Grandfather, an Army vet of WWI, however, some years back there had been a huge fire there and many records where destoyed. That was before the advent of e-filies.

And now, for a poor transition...Friday nights I go out to our local dirt track races. It's an unofficial group therapy for me and also time for my son and I to spend time together. It is small town Americana at its best. They open with a prayer and then the National Anthem.

Any time the National Anthem plays, I get teary eyed, but especially out there. Less than a mile up the road, I lost a troop in an auto accident. When the Anthem plays, and I watch the Flag being raised, I think of her and all the rest who have suffered and sacrificed for me. Danged if those eyes ain't getting misty might now. If I miss a word or two, forgive me. A little hard to see the keyboard, and no, I can't type without looking at the letters. We have it real danged good here and it's because of our vets and our kids still serving.

Last Veterans Day, I got to be the key note speaker at the ceremony at the New Mexico State Veterans Home. I did it not as a fellow vet, but as a grateful, free American who wanted to thank those folks for what they have given me and my family. I met a Navy man who was 101 years old. There guys over there missing limbs, there are ladies that live over there as well and each one of them has fought for my freedoms. That's pretty cool.

So what will I do on Monday? Probably going to ride over to the site where that young lady died and pay my repsects to her. I'll BBQ later on in the day, maybe have some friends over or it may just be me and my son. For sure, by myself, later in the evening, it will be me and the memory of my friends and family who aren't here any more. We'll set, have a beer and shed a few more tears...

Rich

Old 05-24-2008, 09:24 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Gorilla1
Jake, there is also a National Records place that you can request his info from. The exact title escapes me but when the grey matter lines back up I'll send it to you. Pretty easy to reqeust info from them. I had sent in a request on my Grandfather, an Army vet of WWI, however, some years back there had been a huge fire there and many records where destoyed. That was before the advent of e-filies.
Rich

That's the link I just posted.....

Old 05-24-2008, 09:26 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Very well put 78stepside429. Hopefully everyone takes the time to fly the flag as a way of saying thanks on Memorial day (If your not one of those types that flies it every day).

Old 05-25-2008, 04:23 AM
Autoglass
Posting Guru
1 of the other posts I put up the links for The WWII Memorial & The Viet Nam Wall. you could also start there!
The warehouse in St.Louis,Mo. burned in 1973, My Dad's records were there.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Bear 1
Junior User
Thanks to all vets. and our people serving this country now that are in the armed services.
Lost friends and had faimly and friends wounded in viet nam (both mentally and phyically)

I fly my flag every day in their honer!

Old 05-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Chugalug
Elder User
Some people have never seen the horrors of a war torn country.
Just look at pictures of the WTC after the 911 attacks. Try to imigean most of the USA
looking like that part of Manhatten.
If it weren't for our Military, the whole USA could very well look that way.
These vetrans, some who gave all were spit on and called names when they came home
from forign wars.
They did their part for our freedoms that we take for granted.
From the Generals who gave the orders, to the grunt that emptied the Latrines,
all did their parts to serve our country.

Quick Reply: Memorial Day 2008