Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for an Interior Color Change...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 01:11 AM
dave_1001
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for an Interior Color Change...

Hello All,<O</O
<O</O

I am new to FTE. I have spent countless hours reading the posted threads, viewing pics, and visiting the web sites, (the wife’s beginning to feel neglected). Anyway, this is by far the best site I have found for answers and information about my Ford truck! Thanks to all who make it work!<O</O

So, here's my question. I'm beginning a bit of a restoration project on my 1988 F-250. I want to paint the exterior blue and change the interior from tan to grey. Lift kit and new tires to follow. But what I’d like to know is, is it a huge hassle to change the interior color? I have found that many parts are available on line and I will begin hitting the junk yards this weekend, but for those parts I cannot find…is painting them a viable option? Will the paint on these plastic molding parts hold up thru the years? I don’t mind spending the money to buy new and/or used parts, I just want it to look good when I’m done.
<O</O
If anyone has had experience changing the color of your interior, I would greatly appreciate any advice, information, or experiences you could share.<O</O
<O</O

Dave<O</O<O</O<O</O

Old 05-24-2008, 01:24 PM
rowdyredneck
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I restored the interior on my '84 F-250 several years ago, I think the results speak for themselves:

The truck was originally blue/white with a blue interior, but I painted it black and wanted to change the interior to gray. Some of my plastic was broken and missing so I scrounged together enough parts of various colors to get a complete interior. The door panels and dash pad were originally red and some of the trim pieces were blue or tan. I used vinyl spray paint and it worked great; its held up just fine after about five years. Most auto parts stores can get this stuff, its designed just for use on vinyl and plastic. It has cracked a little on the arm rests since they are more flexible, so I might hit them with another coat sometime. Otherwise I used it on the entire dash assembly, even the sun visors. I lightly sanded everything to dull the glossy surface and promote adhesion. I was lucky enough to score wood grained dash panels at my local boneyard. I also installed a custom molded carpet and had the seat and headliner reupholstered at a local upholstery shop. Overall I spent about $600 on the interior but I'm very happy with how it turned out. I've heard dying is a better alternative to the paint because its more "permanent", but I have no complaints about the method I used.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Grey89F250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just did a complete dash swap on my 89 F250. I put a dash out of a 93 truck and painted them all grey, painting them was fairly easy, getting them out and in with out breaking them is easy if you TAKE YOUR TIME. Also DO NOT SAND THE SURFACES!!! Just clean them with simple green degreaser and them soap and water and then with straight rubbing alchohol. Them spray them with bulldog adhesion promoter with 1 light coat wait 15 mins and spray with another coat and then wait 30 mins and then follow with the color of choice. I chose SEM brand paint. Its what everyone I talked to recommended and it worked great! Time comsuming and tedius but its well worth it. I love my new dash. Look for my update thread tomorrow. Also PM me if you get stuck or need part numbers. I dont have them right now as Im laying in bed.