Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excursion Died -- Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:31 PM
dothadamthang
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After a Google of a few key words, I found this forum post.... My excursion was having the EXACT same problem and symptoms... So I decided to take apart the column to have a look...

After examining the wires that lead from the overdrive button, I notice a tiny spot that had rubbed away with exposed wires.... Apparently, this rubbing came from numerous shifting over the last couple years.... I simple wrapped the wire with electrical tape and repositioned the wire to avoid reoccurrence..

Old 09-13-2008, 06:58 AM
Paul T
More Turbo
Excellent pictures!!!! I see now why you would have a problem. It makes me want to go out and check mine now.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:45 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul T
Excellent pictures!!!! I see now why you would have a problem. It makes me want to go out and check mine now.
You really should. This seems to be happening to more and more Excursions recently.

By the way dothadamnthing, excellent pictures above. THANKS!

Old 09-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Skullonarm
Senior User
how did you get the top column cover off without removing the ignition switch? Im having the same problem and read your thread ,and tried it this morning, but couldn't get the cover off. T.Moe

Old 09-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Paul T
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Skullonarm
how did you get the top column cover off without removing the ignition switch? Im having the same problem and read your thread ,and tried it this morning, but couldn't get the cover off. T.Moe
I think the ignition switch has to come out.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Skullonarm
Senior User
Yeah it must, but the picture shows it installed. Well maybe I'll check the diff sensor next.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Skullonarm
Senior User
My plastic steering column cover wont come off due to the ignition switch and tilt wheel arm. I noticed in your pictures you still have both in place. I have a 2002 excursion. Is your year different ?

T. Moe

Old 09-30-2008, 09:43 AM
Fiddle
New User
Sounds like you need to replace your battery. I had a similar problem like yours...i changed my Starter, Alternator and it keeped acting up...but i changed my battery...had no promblems since then.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:19 PM
sablejar
Junior User
Found the cause of mine. Windsheild leaking on the fuse box and the GEM under the dash.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:59 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My plastic steering column cover wont come off due to the ignition switch and tilt wheel arm. I noticed in your pictures you still have both in place. I have a 2002 excursion. Is your year different ?

T. Moe
You will need to remove the ignition switch and the tilt wheel arm. The ignition switch might have been replace for the picture because you need to turn it before you pop the release and then buzzer for door ajar stays on and is annoying during fix. Insert keys, turn on, just before start, and then on the underside below the switch you will need to insert an awl to release the switch. The tilt arm simply unscrew.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Skullonarm
Senior User
thanks for the info. I just replaced the rear vss sensor, because it didn't ohm correctly. The speedo is still going crazy and the abs light goes on and off still. Looks like I have to check those dang wires.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:39 AM
dothadamthang
New User
Sorry for the delay..... But yes,, The Tilt arm and the ignition has to be removed to take off the plastics.... I put them back afterwards to shift the gear to neutral and to tilt the column to get a better angle to make the repair..

T. Moe

Old 10-22-2008, 11:16 PM
bigjohn4300
New User
i know this sounds crazy but i had the same fuse problem, turned out to be the OD button on the end of ther gear shift, had a short in the wiring in the stalk of it

Old 04-18-2009, 07:46 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
I just took apart the steering column because I wanted to check on my inop turn signal, so since I was in there already I checked the wire. There was some obvious rubbing but the wires were not showing so I was in good shape. I did put some electric tape over it though for good measure.

One question, how did you all get the rubber/metal boot off of the shifter lever. I couldn't get mine off and it was in the way but I worked around it.

As for my turn signal, I couldn't find anything apperant like loose wires. The emergancy flashers are working normal, so I'm thinking it's the turn signal switch.

I don't want to take this to far off topic, but how do I tighten the shift lever as it's quite loose?

Old 04-19-2009, 06:37 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aortizexcursion
I don't want to take this to far off topic, but how do I tighten the shift lever as it's quite loose?
Is the shifter just sloppy or do you have it not wanting to shift into the gears. There is an adjusting screw under the column on the right side, but that is for the cable to take out a little slack from the shifter.

Quick Reply: Excursion Died -- Question