Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-30-2002, 02:18 PM
New User

99Guy is starting off with a positive reputation.
2.5L vs 2.3L

I was wondering how the 2.5L Ranger I4 compares to the
2.3L. This engine was the 4-banger on the 98's and 99's.
Can I use 2.3L mods? Can I put a turbo on it?
Is it a bore and /or stroke difference? It has the 8 plug
digital ignition system and I believe its SOHC. I know
it gets 119HP @ 5000 rpms and 146-150 Ft/lbs @3000 rpm.

Also does anyone know how to calculate rpms from gear
ratios? I have a 5-speed and no tach and was just
wondering where that 6000 rpm redline is at in each gear.
I know I've gotten pretty close.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:55 PM
Post Fiend

TallPaul is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
2.5L vs 2.3L

MPH = ( C * RPM ) / ( 88 * T * R )

Where:

MPH = speed in miles per hour
C = tire circumference in feet
T = tranny ratio for gear in use
R = rear end ratio

The 88 comes from 60 / 5280, the 60 bringing things from minutes to hours and the 5280 being the base distance of a mile so we get the result in miles per hour.

Tire circumference can be calculated in several ways:

1) Use wheel size and tire spec such as P75 225 15 which means the tire rides 70 percent of 225 millimeters off the wheel. Convert that to inches and add half the 15-inch wheel size to get radius and then circumference is pi * radius squared. But there is squish from the vehicle weight, so

2) I like to put the truck on flat concrete and chalk mark the tire at the bottom and on the cement, then push it forward until the chalk points down again and measure the distance. In a parking lot you can go multiple rotations for greater accuracy. Just divide the distance by the number of rotations. This accounts for the tire squish, but that could change at say 70 mph with wind perhaps giving lift to the vehicle.

3) Just take a tape measure from the hub center to the ground.

Maybe use all three and average. Regardless, the end result is approximate, but close enough and then there is speedo error too.

Have fun, but ultimately---get a tach! They are a piece of cake to hook up and a lot more fun. I recomment mounting it smack center on top the dash where it is in your face. JEGS has a nice 6K Autometer mini tach for about 65 bucks, thought the lighting on my 25$ JC Whitney 8K tach is much better.

INLINE SIX POWER! '95 F150 XL
300 Cubic Inches of Low RPM Truck Torque! And twin-I-beams too!
"Drive a stick young man! There'll be time for automatics when you're old and unable."

'01 Ranger, 2.3L, 5 speed, 83,000 miles. Redline MTL, Amsoil Signature 5w20, Wix Oil Filter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:11 AM
Postmaster

tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.
2.5L vs 2.3L

Old 01-05-2003, 01:19 PM
New User

84MustangGT is starting off with a positive reputation.
2.5L vs 2.3L

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 05-Jan-03 AT 02:20 PM (EST)]You could turbo it, but you need a set of forged low compression pistons. Best bet would be to grab a complete engine from a turbocharged Ford. There are some good turbo sites on the internets for Fords.
Old 01-05-2003, 01:19 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines

Tags
23, 23l, 25, 25l, differences, engines, escape, ford, forum, fusion, i4, ranger, truck, versus, vs