Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-2001, 08:37 PM
New User

f100drivr is starting off with a positive reputation.
?? Modern Flat head ??

I tring to find out if it's worth getting the Modern Flat head oil filering Sys,PVC Sys that plugs into the old road draft breather hole,& the new one piece front crankshaft oil seal. Has anyone used this products & do they work?
Old 02-27-2001, 06:12 PM
Post Fiend

mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.
?? Modern Flat head ??

I'm using 2 of the 3 you asked about. The front oil seal is one of the best mods you can make. It reduces your drips and runs by one!
The other I have installed is the pvc system in place of the road draft tube. It also helps keep the engine clean. I made up my own - bought a simple pcv valve, a section of hose, adapter for the threaded hole on the intake(stock) and a pcv plug that fit the draft tube hole. (was on the same rack with the pcv valves at the parts store)
The one I haven't tried is the full-filtering system. It makes sense that it is the way to go, but you have to remove the engine to install it. Good candidate for when you rebuild. I'm doing what some old timers used to do. I removed the inadequate filtration system and just change my oil often.
- tim
Old 02-27-2001, 08:48 PM
New User

f100drivr is starting off with a positive reputation.
?? Modern Flat head ??

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 27-Feb-01 AT 09:49 PM (EST)[/font][p]Thanks,Thats what I was looking for, thanks for the info.Was the front seal easy to install?
Old 02-28-2001, 12:52 AM
Post Fiend

mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.
?? Modern Flat head ??

Front seal is very easy if the engine is out of the truck. Depends what your motor is in, are the splash pans in place, etc.
If it's in the truck, you'll have your work cut out for you, but it should be do-able. Loosen motor mounts, water hoses, remove fan and anything else in the way.

Basically you remove the timing gear cover and loosen the oil pan (you'll have to get the old rope seal out anyway) enough for the new seal to slip past it, remove crank pulley. It will be evident where it goes, just make sure to get it turned with the lip in toward the crank and oil it before installing it.
Follow the mfg recommendations for installation. Some guys install them with silicone, others don't. I didn't and haven't had any leaks. Button it back up in reverse order.
As you can see, installing the seal is the simplest part of the project.

Good luck with your project. If you need any more info, just say the word.

Old 09-01-2001, 01:23 PM
Post Fiend

Ratsmoker is starting off with a positive reputation.
?? Modern Flat head ??

Old 09-01-2001, 01:23 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6

Tags
audern, draft, flat, flathead, flatheads, front, head, modern, pvc, remove, road, seal, tube