Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Paint & Bodywork
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Paint & Bodywork SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Senior User

hatchet is starting off with a positive reputation.
how long does it take to paint a truck?

My paint on my old pickup is getting pretty bad.Before I go to body shops to get prices I want to know about how long it would take a shop to paint my truck and fix the rust over the rear wheels on each side.has anyone ever had this type of work done?And how long was your truck in the shop?
Old 05-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Elder User

BChance is starting off with a positive reputation.
whole lot of variables there. Could be a hack job in a few days, top quality work can be weeks or months. Depends on how much you want to spend, what you want it to look like when it's done, and how much talent and skill the shop has..

JOIN NEW MEXICO CHAPTER HERE!

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
Old 05-22-2008, 07:28 PM

Action4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by BChance View Post
whole lot of variables there. Could be a hack job in a few days, top quality work can be weeks or months. Depends on how much you want to spend, what you want it to look like when it's done, and how much talent and skill the shop has..

What he said .....
'Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!'
Old 05-22-2008, 11:54 PM
Elder User

fordinmudd is starting off with a positive reputation.
plan on it being there a long time.My trucks been in a body shop now for over 3 weeks and I still didnt get a call its done yet.I was told body shops will do insurance work first over rust repair and painting.so if someone comes in with a car that got hit they will fix it before yours and make you wait and I dont think thats right.I would say if you want it done in a week or two forget it.make sure you ask them first and get it in writing how long it will take them.Take it from me body shops are really really slow with there work.I would rather pay a little more money and have it done faster.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:36 PM
Elder User

kenseth17 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
They say when it comes to bodywork and paint, you can possibly get two, but not all three. Good-(Quality, price, time)
Old 05-23-2008, 08:10 PM

Action4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenseth17 View Post
They say when it comes to bodywork and paint, you can possibly get two, but not all three. Good-(Quality, price, time)
It depends on where you take it ...& what the shop wants you to say about them to your friends...
'Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!'
Old 05-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Elder User

kenseth17 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yes, of course there are exceptions to everything, but generally I believe its true. A shop can only give away work for so long, or do favors, hear promises or have a new friend for so long if they want to stay in business. Doing side work, I'd like to think my quality was pretty good, and my price was really better then it should have been, didn't have much overhead, but wasn't the fastest getting them done working after hours after doing the same thing all day, being the only one working on them, even plugging away at them every day, the hours left in the day go by quick..
I am sure there are several people that got all three from some place trying to get there name out.
If a shop though puts in the imense hours to do the best job possible, and has a number of people working on it to get it done fast, it probably wouldn't come cheap. Likely would have a ton of work if the price, quality and time were all reasonable, but if they continued to give too much away, that would also get old very quick, putting in so many hours and then looking at what you got in the end of it all, and then watch a big chunk of it go out to cover what it costs to run a shop everyday. They are not afraid to charge for gas, electricity, heating. a gallon of paint, or insurance today, so if its an established shop thats known fairly well and has business, chances are if they do good quality work and get it done in a timely matter, it probably won't come cheap. Maaco on the other hand, does many jobs cheap and fast, but look at what majority write about their quality.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:53 AM
Posting Guru

Boss9F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.Boss9F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.Boss9F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenseth17 View Post

thats simple just do it yourself!
Old 05-29-2008, 01:53 AM