2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doors rattling

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:55 PM
JROSCO6
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doors rattling

We have an 07 F150 XL reg cab. I was wondering has anyone had a problem with the doors rattling going down a dirt or bumpy road. They sound almost as if door werent shut rite eventhough they are slammed shut. We took it in to the dealer and they said they adjusted and replaced door stops but we still have the same problem. plus they said they coud not duplicate.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:47 PM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
My doors did this rattle as well (2008) crew cab), turns out there are these plasctic tabs (2 each door) that were not all the up, so I just had to slide them up till they were firmly in the slot. They are towards the very bottom of door, gotta kinda squat down to see'em, hope this helps ya, as it did in fact work for me as I thought doors weren't shut either.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:11 PM
silver05fx4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my truck door rattle too but ownly in the biter cold dealer tryed to fix just made it louder so i live with it goes away when temp is warmer out

Old 05-21-2008, 06:10 PM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by JROSCO6
We have an 07 F150 XL reg cab. I was wondering has anyone had a problem with the doors rattling going down a dirt or bumpy road. They sound almost as if door werent shut rite eventhough they are slammed shut. We took it in to the dealer and they said they adjusted and replaced door stops but we still have the same problem. plus they said they coud not duplicate.
JROSC06..
Do you have a rattle or a thud?
I have a thud in my door also (crewcab) sounds like its coming from the drivers door, or pillar between the doors. I took it to the shop and they couldnt duplicate. It sounds just like you say,like the door isnt shut all the way but it is and I told him that.
So the SM and I went for a ride. The problem is that the passenger cant hear it you have to be in the drivers seat and then of course watch where your going, anyway we picked a road with hardly and traffic and I drove the truck until i found a spot that made it duplicate the sound, and told him to get in the drivers seat and do the same thing. He didnt hear it at first but after about 20 minutes he finally heard it. The thing is you dont have to be going that fast to hear it I think we were around 10 MPH.
Anyway by the time we got back to the shop the mechanic was on a different job. So I didnt get it fixed. But he looked at the alignment of the door from the outside and said it looked to him like everything was lined up correctly.
I still say its the darn latch and I told him that but like I said nobody had the time to look at it.
So basically I got feed up with it, it drives me nuts, thud, thud, thud.
My girlfriend told me to tune it out like I do with her
So I decided to take a towel not very thick, and kind of wrapped it around that loop latch on the truck, Not sure if it was the first or second part of the loop, then shut the door. You got to make sure that the towel isnt to thick otherwise the door wont shut all the way.
Anyway after I did that, guess what...No thud. I dont have the towel there now cause it always gets comes back out when you open the door.

Try it and see what happens with yours. If it takes the thud out then you know what it is and can tell the dealership.

Let us know......now i have to go diagnose the stupid noise coming from the rear of the truck, which happens when the rear flexes.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:38 PM
JROSCO6
Senior User
Thanks SD i will try that and see if it helps. I now have the Mr Clicks(owner) office wanting this taken care of. I got the call from my advisore today cause his boss came down on him. I gess after you have bought 4 cars from them they care about your buisness. I cant drive the truck. I just had surgery on my right hand.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:17 PM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got the 2007 XL Reg Cab too, and I took my truck in for the noise too. At first the techs couldn't reproduce the noise, so I went back out with them, and drove half on, and half off the road on the grass. Then, the tech could hear it. They fixed the passenger side, but the driver's side still has to be shut pretty firmly. I have found, that if you shut the door, and then grasp the front edge of the little door and pull out on it, if it moves, then either the top latch or bottom latch isn't latched. It will be a very noticeable movement. If it does move, it will rattle, at least mine will. Try it, and see if it works for you. My 2 cents worth, hope it helps. *****If somebody figures out how to adjust these door latches, please pass it on. It is a pain in the butt..........******

Old 05-22-2008, 09:00 PM
kenwowski
Senior User
so is there a fix?

Old 05-22-2008, 09:08 PM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by kenwowski
so is there a fix?
You got the problem too??

Old 05-22-2008, 11:05 PM
kenwowski
Senior User
it only happens on a big bump like a railroad track I thought it was just because the main door latches on to the smaller door and since the frame is so stiff it thumps a little

Do others with the supercab not have this thump in the door over large bumps?

Old 05-28-2008, 07:06 PM
WhiteTriton
New User
I have an '07 F150 super cab that does the same thing, but only when you don't slam the smaller rear doors. It's a little annoying to always slam them but that's the only thing that I found makes it stop. Maybe it has something to do with there being no b-pillar and the cab flexes a little. But like an earlier post stated, I only hear something if it is over a large bump or pothole.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:42 PM
442w30
Senior User
On the SCAB you can reach back while driving and rattle the rear door interior latches. They will rattle when going down washboard roads. Still trying to come up with a fix. My 04,05 and 08 all do it and Dealer says "NORMAL".

Old 05-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Slvr 2008 SS SC
Junior User
Originally Posted by 442w30
...They will rattle when going down washboard roads. ... Dealer says "NORMAL".
It's hard to believe that a door rattle is normal. I know that Ford test extensively for water leaks, I wonder if it was rattling and leaking would they pay more attention to the problem?

Old 05-28-2008, 10:11 PM
irishammer
Senior User
My 04 SCAB rattles on the passenger side. I tried to slam them no effect. And it isn't the door handles/latches doing it, it is the door.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:52 AM
falcon351
New User
I have same problem with '01 supercab. think it is latch. Has anyone replaced latch and solved problem? It seems there is no way to adjust latches short of bending striker. Do not want to replace for a wasted no fix.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:25 AM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know, I'm still shutting the doors firmly. If I don't, I get the "rattles"! I guess these doors being short, just don't have the weight to force the two latches to work correctly if they aren't perfectly aligned. Kind of a bummer in a new truck.........

Quick Reply: Doors rattling