Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2002, 12:15 PM
Senior User

bryanknie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
tick tick tick

comming from the passenger side maybe around second cylinder. just very slight. Does not sound like a rod, maybe a lifter? Otherwise motor runs beautiful. how can I find what this is, should I leave it alone as a little noise is usualy from this type of motor? Noise seems to quiet when truck has been used and driven a while.

Truck is just a driver, show or go mainly on weekends.

Old 06-14-2002, 08:52 PM
Post Fiend

mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.
tick tick tick

Sounds like a sticky valve to me. The flatheads don't have pushrods. Cam to lifter to valve stem - direct contact, so the ticking sound is most likely a valve hanging up a bit.

You might try Marvel Mystery Oil additive. The stuff can be used in the gas tank, crank case, dab a little behind your ear, etc. Nobody knows whats in it, but some guys swear by it.

The fact that it quiets down after running awhile is good news and with regular use it might quit ticking without any work on your part.

Enjoy your flatty - I'm driving one daily in my '48 pickup.
Tim
Old 06-17-2002, 07:52 AM
Senior User

bryanknie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
tick tick tick

Thanks,

I will try it. The Flatty is great, I dont see reason to run a moden engine, it has plenty of power and with the headers and dual pipes it rumbles going down the road. I looked at many trucks before I bought this one, glad I held out the the Flat V8, almost got tired of looking and settled for one with a more modern ford v8. I would never go Chevy in a truck like this, just not natural.

Mine will be used for heavy weekend fair weather driving and the occasional trip to work on Friday's.

Bryan

Old 11-06-2002, 06:07 AM
New User

Willem_F100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
tick tick tick

Good Day

I have the same ticking noise on my engine. Although mine is righthand drive. I also have a little bit of smoke coming out of that exhaust pipe. The sound comes and goes, I am not driving it but only starting up once a week but the sound was worse in the beginning now it is nearly gone and idling after a while gors away

Willem
South Africa
Old 11-20-2002, 11:09 AM
Senior User

FOWL1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
tick tick tick

If it is a slight ticking and goes away with more RPM's it could also be an exhaust leak. I had a '66 Mustang that sounded like a valve tap but I found out it was a leak between the manifold and the head. Sometimes if you take a spry bottle with water and as the motor is running spray around the exhaust manifold, the sound might quiet down or change. If it does, it's an exhaust leak. I have an '88 ford with a cracked manifold and when there is back pressure it squeaks. It also squeaks like a water pump bearing at an idle. When I sprayed it, it stopped or changed. Exhaust leaks can create funny noises. If it is the exhaust manifold on yours that's creating the noise, you might want to try tightening the bolts or new gaskets. Hope this helps. I have a '55 ford F-250 and will be picking up a '53 around Thanksgiving.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:18 PM
Junior User

gary534 is starting off with a positive reputation.
tick tick tick

Old 11-20-2002, 12:18 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6