1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

best programmer for my truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:03 PM
ms1780
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
best programmer for my truck

I am wanting to buy a programmer or chip for my 1997 ps diesel. I am not wanting to change anything else if possible. I have read about problems with egt when using a programmer. Is there any mods I have to do to control egt? Also what will give me the best bang for my buck.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:18 AM
immastrokinnow
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tony wildwman. and you definatly want gauges. boost egt and trans temp (if auto) but to run any wild programs you will want an intake and exhaust.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:36 AM
93f1505.0L
Elder User
x2 Intake, Exhaust, and a TW chip will really wake your truck up and you wont have to worry about EGTs too much but Guages are a must with any mods so I would deffently get them too. Then all you have to do is watch them and you will be fine.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:53 AM
jimwilsonmasonry
Elder User
tw is the crowd favorite

Old 05-21-2008, 12:34 PM
foxracing0934
Posting Guru
I personally love my DP-Tuner, but TW is just as good. X3 on the gauges, they really help keep everything in check. I would also put a down pipe in to help flow air better.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:11 PM
ms1780
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking I think I have decided!!!

After talking to tony wildman today i think i decide to go with one of his kits that includes a 4 position chip, gauges and gauge pod (pyro and boost), intake and 4 in diamond eye exhaust. Now my next question is how dificult is the installation. I am not too worried about the intake or the chip, but a little about the gauges and the exhaust. Tony said the exhaust does not have to be welded in which is good because afte talking to several muffler shops they are not willing to remove the catalytic converter. What is involved in installing the gauges? I am a pretty good shade tree mechanic, but this is all new to me. What does it take to install the exhaust, does it just clamp together? Sorry for being so ignorant about this, but this is the first diesel truck I have owned. Thanks for any support!!!

Old 05-21-2008, 11:17 PM
foxracing0934
Posting Guru
Dont worry about it we all have to start some where. The exhaust is real simple, it should just bolt right up, but you are going to have to clearance the firewall for the down pipe, a crowbar and a hammer worked good for me. As for the gauges it all depends on how good you want it to come out, the more time you take on the small details the better the result will be. I drilled the holes into my stock A-pillar cover and then ran the wires where i wanted them, make sure you do them one at a time so that you dont cant to mixed up. then i put the guages into the new A-pillar cover and connected them to the wires i ran and then screwed it in. Its pretty simple, just take your time and you will be done before you know it. Sorry if its a little wordy, i didnt know how much detail you wanted.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats You will love the TW. You are getting ready to see how these trucks SHOULD run. The gauges are a breeze. You will have to either tap into the map line with a "T" for boost or drill and tap the y-pipe. The pyro gauge should be mounted in the exhaust manifold. Drill with several bits getting larger till you reach the right size then tap it. Put anti seize on the threads before you put it in.

The exhaust is no problem. Get a sawzall with a long blade and cut the original DP off at the top to get it out. Then you will need to cut the seam on the firewall, where the bottom and top come together, on each side of where the DP goes down. Then you can bend the seam down to make more room. Some use a hydraulic ram here to make more room. The rest is just bolt-in.

Good luck and keep us posted.