Print Wikipost

How to rear hub seals and parking brake shoes

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:40 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by camodown
Other side is the same, but with opposite threads.
For anyone following this VERY nice write-up, do not confuse the last sentence as meaning "left-hand" threads. Everything is normal, right-hand thread.

Pop

Old 09-24-2008, 10:01 PM
eckart
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Well the ford seals are in and no leak so far( ebrake still works). $20.- cheaper than aftermarket ones I put in first. Keep in mind that when ever you have a leaky seal on a axle check your breather line isn't plugged. Thats wasn't my problem this time but it does happen.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:09 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Excellent!! Reps sent!

Old 09-24-2008, 10:31 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just finished replacing the rotor/pads on my dually.. Had to remove the outer bearing and axle to remove the rotor.. But, i am wondering if I screwed up. You mention repacking the wheel bearings with grease... I thought the rear-end fluid lubed the bearings..Or is a single axle different from a dually when it comes to lubing the bearings?

Old 09-25-2008, 07:08 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by clintbonnie
I just finished replacing the rotor/pads on my dually.. Had to remove the outer bearing and axle to remove the rotor.. But, i am wondering if I screwed up. You mention repacking the wheel bearings with grease... I thought the rear-end fluid lubed the bearings..Or is a single axle different from a dually when it comes to lubing the bearings?
They are basically the same and lubed with the 90wt. The grease is just a precaution and will eventually get washed out by the 90wt during normal operation.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:53 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
They are basically the same and lubed with the 90wt. The grease is just a precaution and will eventually get washed out by the 90wt during normal operation.
Hey thanks Dan... I figured it was something like that. I did apply some rear-end fluid on the bearings when I re-installed them..

Old 09-25-2008, 03:56 PM
machmedic
Laughing Gas
Received 106 Likes on 61 Posts
Great job. Will come in handy later.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:27 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oops. Springer is right. Nice catch... it's pretty easy to figure out which way to tighten and loosen the nut. The grease is just used so the bearings and spindle don't gall when you put a load back on them, but since you used some gear oil in the cavity you should be fine.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:37 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used this write up too. Made the process easier. Just gotta get off my lazy butt and do the other side for peace of mind.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:08 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
For anyone following this VERY nice write-up, do not confuse the last sentence as meaning "left-hand" threads. Everything is normal, right-hand thread.

Pop
In most cases you are right. However, there are some ford trucks that do have left hand threads on the drivers side (left side) rear spindle. Also, as noted, use some gear oil in the hub before putting the nut on. Grease alone may not be enough. In fact, I have replaced spindles that people packed with grease. Too much grease on the outer bearing prevents the oil from flowing through the bearing and getting to the inner bearing, causing it to burn up.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:33 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
Also, as noted, use some gear oil in the hub before putting the nut on. Grease alone may not be enough. In fact, I have replaced spindles that people packed with grease. Too much grease on the outer bearing prevents the oil from flowing through the bearing and getting to the inner bearing, causing it to burn up.
I agree ... I think i will keep using the gear oil to lubed the bearing on assembly.. Don't like mixing lubricants. I always think of the tragic accident involving the Alaska airlines MD80 off the coast of California a while back.. It turn out to be the mechanics were mixing lubricants that galled the jack screw .

Old 09-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by clintbonnie
I agree ... I think i will keep using the gear oil to lubed the bearing on assembly.. Don't like mixing lubricants. I always think of the tragic accident involving the Alaska airlines MD80 off the coast of California a while back.. It turn out to be the mechanics were mixing lubricants that galled the jack screw .
Is that what it was? I simply assumed that they were not lubing it at all and it dried up.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:04 AM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by papadelogan
Maybe Guzzle will add this to his site...
Great writeup!

I have added a couple of 2nd party writeups to the site because the only ones I can document myself are the maintenace items that I have performed on my truck and there is only so much that one truck needs. I basically only have one rule .... LOTS OF PICTURES!

I welcome other authors writeups on the site but they have to be submitted by the author. This way they can change the wording if they find that there is a "better way" to do something plus they need to send the original pics for re-sizing on the site. This also gives the author full control over the article if they want to make changes later as the author just simply e-mails the necessary changes. I know that I have found it necessary to change a number of things in my writeups.

All 2nd party writeups are approved by the original author before they are published on the site.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:16 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I, too, don't like mixing different base lubricants. However,

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines_Flight_261

"The NTSB considered a number of potential reasons for this excessive wear, including the substitution by Alaska Airlines (with the approval of the aircraft manufacturer Boeing) of Aeroshell 33 grease instead of the previously approved lubricant, Mobilgrease 28. The use of Aeroshell 33 was found not be a factor in this accident.[6] Insufficient lubrication of the components was also considered as a reason for the wear. Examination of the jackscrew and acme nut revealed that no effective lubrication was present on these components at the time of the accident. Ultimately the lack of lubrication, and resulting excessive wear of the threads, were determined to be the direct causes of the accident."

It's number 21 of the NTSB's "Conclusions" section of its Final Report.
http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2002/AAR0201.pdf

Though having different base stocks, and different thickeners, Aeroshell 33 and Mobilgrease 28 both meet MIL-G-81322, though they are each qualified to different suffixes.

As a side-note, one of the members of our Springer rescue organization was supposed to have been the PIC of that flight, and had swapped flights with another pilot. He knew both the cockpit crew. ESRA has three ATC left-seaters among its members.

Pop

Old 10-03-2008, 06:02 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey guzzle,

when I get some extra time on my hands, I'll re-type up the how to if you'd like. Do you prefer word format?

Quick Reply: How to rear hub seals and parking brake shoes