Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

help! need some info

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:07 PM
OldBlue68
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help! need some info

Hello i am new to this section of the forum, but i would like to know if anyone knows of a good shop around the olympia/lacey area that would tune a holley correcttly as i have no idea how to tune a holley . Thank you, any information helps!

Old 05-19-2008, 03:59 PM
FESTER1st
Senior User
I'm in Everett so can't help U with a shop but every carb Ive ever purchased is Holley and Ive been around them alot for some time. So I would be happy to help you with Q's and I have a couple of in depth books on the them. They are the simplest on the planet IMO. I strongly suggest first that you make sure the ignition system is in perfect working order or you may find yourself beating a dead bush. What is it doing that you think it needs tuning?

Old 05-19-2008, 05:06 PM
OldBlue68
Senior User
I see well, i know the ignition is fine the reason i need it tuned is becasue i had just bought it new in box..then i lent it to a friend of mine who put it on his big block 454 ...the deal was since i lent it to him he would tune it for me but he ended up tryin to keep it long story short its now on my truck which is a 400m...but with same setting for his 454, good friend ay?...any help would be appreciated though haha and nice truck by the way is that yours?

Old 05-20-2008, 01:03 PM
FESTER1st
Senior User
Yep the truck is mine. 390, AT, and a Holley 650 dbl pmpr (new).
I need a little info before we start. What year model of truck, trans, bigger cam or not, is the intake a spread bore or square bore and aluminum, are you running a spacer under the carb, and most important carb size and model#.
Holleys are set at factory to run reasonably well at sea level so your in good shape to start, assuming your friends 454 had no issues he was trying to compensate for by adjusting the carb, vaccumm leaks etc. Please inspect the carb very carefuly for indications of what he may have adjusted, tool marks on various adjustment points primarily.
This process of carb tuning can take some time so be patient.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:38 PM
OldBlue68
Senior User
nice truck man what year? anyways my specs are a 1968 f100 with a 400 modified with edlebrock cam, intake , a holley street avenger 670 cfm ,and yes i have a spacer,but his 454 did not run very good most of the time, also he told me he had adjusted everything on it..but he kept saying how the float level is fine. But im not sure of the holes on the intake yt i am at work so i will check when i get home.. Thank

OldBlue

Old 05-20-2008, 04:12 PM
FESTER1st
Senior User
Its a 74.
Regarding your friends adj. AAAAAAHHHHH Crap!
Check your PM's. Folks around here know me as a good fella although not frequent (I'm busy hiding beers and stalking Bunnies) incase your skeptical.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:03 PM
OldBlue68
Senior User
haha im not worried, you will be hearing from me in a few

Old 05-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FESTER1st
Yep the truck is mine. 390, AT, and a Holley 650 dbl pmpr (new).
I need a little info before we start. What year model of truck, trans, bigger cam or not, is the intake a spread bore or square bore and aluminum, are you running a spacer under the carb, and most important carb size and model#.
Holleys are set at factory to run reasonably well at sea level so your in good shape to start, assuming your friends 454 had no issues he was trying to compensate for by adjusting the carb, vaccumm leaks etc. Please inspect the carb very carefuly for indications of what he may have adjusted, tool marks on various adjustment points primarily.
This process of carb tuning can take some time so be patient.
Did you consider a 4160 Holley with the same specs?...Helps greatly unless you pedal it. 4150's are great, but the vacuum secondaries that the 4160's provide are gas savers.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:20 PM
FESTER1st
Senior User
Mike if you were talking to me about the 4150 I went with this because of my experience with them (comfort zone) I realize the vacuum seconds can be more efficient but at the time I was not expecting the truck to be my daily driver for so long. I Have modified the carb internally for better street performance but I'm still working out the unknown kink in the timing curve before I can get the carb just right. Currently getting 14 city 17 hwy which is good for these as far as I can tell. Since my last 4150 years ago Holley kicked out the Street HP if I had done more research before my purchase I would have bought that instead for its tunability and the lack of choke. I'm kicking myself now.