2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Mileage is killing me 2005 F-150 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 11:30 AM
robertbucher
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fuel Mileage is killing me 2005 F-150 4.6

Last November I got a 2005 F-150 suppercrew with the 4.6L V8. Of the Ford lot it got 15.5 mpg in town and 17.5 on the highway. Looking to do a little bbetter I installed a K&N air filter and a slightly higher profile tire. (Not wider just higher. Tire psi is at 31) I run plus grade gas and change oil at 3k. I change fuel filter at 6K. I have noticed a steady drop in mpg over the last 6 monts. (aprox. .5 mpg per month) I took it into the local ford shop last week and they said they did some software upgrades, cleaned the injectors and again changed the fuel filter. They said according to the compuer it shoul be back at 15 mpg in town. I filled up today and only got 11.9 mpg. Any one have a suggestion?

Old 05-17-2008, 03:06 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Get used to it. Gas mileage sucks with these rigs. Make sure none of your brakes are draggin and fill the tires upto max PSI.

That K&N might make your MPG worse. More air needs more fuel to maintain the 14.7:1 air/fuel mix.

Also taller tires eat more gas, especially in town, as it reduces your effective gearing. Your speedo and odo will also be off because the tall tire does less RPM per mile than the shorter tire. So your total indicated mileage will be less even though you're going the same distance as before. With that it will look like you are getting less MPG, but in reality it's the same.

Mike

Old 05-17-2008, 05:12 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
Big truck+big tires+V8 engine=low MPG
don't waste extra money on "plus" or "premium" gas either, 87 oct. is all you need.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:41 PM
fireman28
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you have your speedo recalibrated for the taller tires. As stated earlier this can affect the mileage. Also you stated that you are running premium gas. Does the pump say that it contains ethanol? They use it in some areas to increase octane level but it will lower mpg. Just something to look at.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Panzerbrumbar
Senior User
I am not sure what you mean by "plus grade gas" but where I live they sell 87, 89, and 91. The 89 is ten percent enthanol and usually a little cheaper then 87. I noticed I got worse mileage with the 89 octane with my 5.4 and the same goes with the old ladies Nissan Altima.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:24 PM
robertbucher
New User
Originally Posted by robertbucher
Last November I got a 2005 F-150 suppercrew with the 4.6L V8. Of the Ford lot it got 15.5 mpg in town and 17.5 on the highway. Looking to do a little bbetter I installed a K&N air filter and a slightly higher profile tire. (Not wider just higher. Tire psi is at 31) I run plus grade gas and change oil at 3k. I change fuel filter at 6K. I have noticed a steady drop in mpg over the last 6 monts. (aprox. .5 mpg per month) I took it into the local ford shop last week and they said they did some software upgrades, cleaned the injectors and again changed the fuel filter. They said according to the compuer it shoul be back at 15 mpg in town. I filled up today and only got 11.9 mpg. Any one have a suggestion?
Note on tire size: Factory rims....switched from 255 to 275. This only changes the sdeedo reading by +.05 miles not enough to effect fuel consumption by a loss of 4mpg.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:41 PM
barecove
Elder User
this may have something to do with it....

The oil industry has known for 100 years that gasoline expands with
temperature. As it warms, gasoline expands by volume but not by weight or
energy content. Since the 1920’s, the oil industry has taken temperature into
account for wholesale transactions, and use a 60 degree Fahrenheit standard
when measuring gasoline at wholesale. But the oil industry does not adjust
for temperature in retail sales to consumers. As a result, consumers pay a
Hot Fuel Premium when gasoline temperatures exceed 60 degrees, as they do
during the summer.
• 513.8 million gallons of gasoline sold in the summer 2007 will be attributable
to the thermal expansion of gasoline.
• Consumers will pay a hot fuel premium of about $1.5 billion in the summer
BACKGROUND
Gasoline expands when temperatures rise and contracts when temperatures fall. The
energy content of gasoline, however, is directly related to its weight, not its volume.
Therefore, the energy content of gasoline does not correspondingly increase when
gasoline volume expands. The standard coefficient of gasoline’s expansion/contraction
equals 0.069 % per degree Fahrenheit.
At wholesale, oil companies buy and sell to each other at a 60 degree standard.
Since the 1920’s, oil companies have taken into account temperature’s effect on the
volume of gasoline in transactions among one another at the wholesale level. Wholesale
transactions are temperature-compensated at a standard of 60 degrees.

At retail, oil companies buy at one temperature and sell to consumers at another.
However, retail sales are not temperature-adjusted. Though technology exists and has
been accepted for near universal use in Canada, no U.S. retailer of gasoline compensates
for temperature when selling to consumers. As a result, when temperatures of gasoline
rise above the 60 degree standard, as is the case in the U.S. during the summer, the
amount of gasoline by weight decreases in a gallon, and the effective price per gallon
increases.
For instance, let’s say that Consumer C pumps 20 gallons at Retailer D’s gas station, and
assume that the actual temperature of the gasoline is 90 degrees Fahrenheit, and the
consumer is paying $3.50 per gallon. Due to the thermal expansion of gasoline, the
retailer only had to deliver 19.59 temperature adjusted gallons to make 20 gallons at 90
degrees. The consumer, therefore, paid the retailer a premium on top of his costs for the
gasoline and station operation, profit and excise taxes of $1.44. Stated another way, the
consumer effectively paid about $3.57 per gallon, not the advertised $3.50.

source:

http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/reso...lUSAJune07.pdf

also check....

Richard Suiter House Oversight & Government Reform Subc on Domestic Policy 6-8-07

Old 05-17-2008, 08:56 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
Or, it could just be that he ran into an unusual number of red lights,or spent more time with the engine at idle, or any number of things could cause a 4 mpg drop over a short time period.

Originally Posted by barecove
this may have something to do with it....

The oil industry has known for 100 years that gasoline expands with
temperature. As it warms, gasoline expands by volume but not by weight or
energy content. Since the 1920’s, the oil industry has taken temperature into
account for wholesale transactions, and use a 60 degree Fahrenheit standard
when measuring gasoline at wholesale. But the oil industry does not adjust
for temperature in retail sales to consumers. As a result, consumers pay a
Hot Fuel Premium when gasoline temperatures exceed 60 degrees, as they do
during the summer.
• 513.8 million gallons of gasoline sold in the summer 2007 will be attributable
to the thermal expansion of gasoline.
• Consumers will pay a hot fuel premium of about $1.5 billion in the summer
BACKGROUND
Gasoline expands when temperatures rise and contracts when temperatures fall. The
energy content of gasoline, however, is directly related to its weight, not its volume.
Therefore, the energy content of gasoline does not correspondingly increase when
gasoline volume expands. The standard coefficient of gasoline’s expansion/contraction
equals 0.069 % per degree Fahrenheit.
At wholesale, oil companies buy and sell to each other at a 60 degree standard.
Since the 1920’s, oil companies have taken into account temperature’s effect on the
volume of gasoline in transactions among one another at the wholesale level. Wholesale
transactions are temperature-compensated at a standard of 60 degrees.

At retail, oil companies buy at one temperature and sell to consumers at another.
However, retail sales are not temperature-adjusted. Though technology exists and has
been accepted for near universal use in Canada, no U.S. retailer of gasoline compensates
for temperature when selling to consumers. As a result, when temperatures of gasoline
rise above the 60 degree standard, as is the case in the U.S. during the summer, the
amount of gasoline by weight decreases in a gallon, and the effective price per gallon
increases.
For instance, let’s say that Consumer C pumps 20 gallons at Retailer D’s gas station, and
assume that the actual temperature of the gasoline is 90 degrees Fahrenheit, and the
consumer is paying $3.50 per gallon. Due to the thermal expansion of gasoline, the
retailer only had to deliver 19.59 temperature adjusted gallons to make 20 gallons at 90
degrees. The consumer, therefore, paid the retailer a premium on top of his costs for the
gasoline and station operation, profit and excise taxes of $1.44. Stated another way, the
consumer effectively paid about $3.57 per gallon, not the advertised $3.50.

source:

http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/reso...lUSAJune07.pdf

also check....

Richard Suiter House Oversight & Government Reform Subc on Domestic Policy 6-8-07

Old 05-17-2008, 08:58 PM
fireman28
Elder User
Going from a 255 to a 275 should make you 2 - 2.5 mph off @ 65. You are right that this wouldn't make a 4mpg drop, but with that eth in gas and depending on your location a winter mix in the fuel it could add up. Try to find a station that doesn't have eth in the fuel and try a tank and see if it helps.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:37 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
If I'm not mistaken, all gas now has 10% ethanol instead of the MTBN or whatever it was that they used to use.

Mike

Old 05-17-2008, 10:54 PM
wwilson43
Senior User
A low tire pressure could also efect milliage, the harder the tire the less resistance, the softer the tire the more resistance therefore less mpg

Old 05-18-2008, 01:52 AM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
bigger tires affect a car way more than you think. if mpg is what you're after, find the smallest, lightest pizza cutters you can get away with. same thing for rims.

next up, the driver's foot is one big one... I have driven my mustang to 28mpg, and i have driven it to 7mpg. truck has ranged from 9 to 21 so far... but I have not taken it to the track yet, so it's got potential for way lower than 9

Old 05-18-2008, 03:43 AM
jokerforever
Elder User
I'll tell you your biggest problem is the small V8. The 4.6 is the crappiest truck engine that Ford has ever built. It’s ok in a small car but it is way too small and under powered and it has to work its butt off to try to move a full size truck. I bought a 2000 F150 brand new off the lot with one. It could barely move out of its own way unloaded and it was the worst truck I have ever tried to tow with. I ended up trading it on another ½ ton with a 5.4. The bigger engine was not only more capable but it got a lot better gas mileage. Remember, a petting zoo pony won’t eat much when it only has to carry toddlers around but hook that same nag up to a plow and he’ll eat like a Clydesdale.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:11 AM
barecove
Elder User
Originally Posted by jokerforever
I'll tell you your biggest problem is the small V8. The 4.6 is the crappiest truck engine that Ford has ever built. It’s ok in a small car but it is way too small and under powered and it has to work its butt off to try to move a full size truck. I bought a 2000 F150 brand new off the lot with one. It could barely move out of its own way unloaded and it was the worst truck I have ever tried to tow with. I ended up trading it on another ½ ton with a 5.4. The bigger engine was not only more capable but it got a lot better gas mileage. Remember, a petting zoo pony won’t eat much when it only has to carry toddlers around but hook that same nag up to a plow and he’ll eat like a Clydesdale.
I have the 4.6 and get as good a mileage as those with the 5.4... I get 16 mpg avg. it can certainly get out of it's own way.... as a matter of fact I was quite impressed with the power it has.... I would counter that the truck you got was a 2000.... not a 2004.... I don't know what , if any, changes they may have made.... but it would appear that they must have made some if yours was truly as bad as you say

Old 05-18-2008, 08:34 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BLK94F150
If I'm not mistaken, all gas now has 10% ethanol instead of the MTBN or whatever it was that they used to use.Mike
You are mistaken. Several states and almost all metro areas require ethanol for at least part of the year but many of us outside cities in many states have 100% gas available. A year ago, you almost depend on getting 100% gas but now you have to check the pumps as about 30-50% of the stations have "converted". Here in Hillbilly country, we would rather drink our corn than burn it.

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage is killing me 2005 F-150 4.6