Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Posting Guru

Hank85713 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mirror light lens

Broke the amber lens on my mirror does anyone know if they can be gotten or does the whole mirror have to be replaced (fat chance)?

Thanks Hank
Old 05-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Posting Guru

adambomb has a good reputation on FTE.adambomb has a good reputation on FTE.
yeah they can be replaced w/o having to buy the whole assembly. just go to the parts dept. and tell them what you need, i don't remember if you need to know right or left tho.

2005 F350 6.0 (modded) ~450rwhp/900+ft/lb tq
1999 F350 7.3 (normal mods + 13" King Suspension on 40's)
1998 F150 (basic mods + 7" Suspension on 35's/Prerunner fiberglass and skidplace)
1994 Bronco (normal mods + 9" Coil Suspension on 35's)
Old 05-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Posting Guru

Hank85713 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ok thanks for the reply.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Senior User

pagnew is starting off with a positive reputation.
Really? I have only seen full assemblies via the internet. That would be great if you actually can replace the amber lense only!

I'll have to check it out!

Thanks
Super Cab / Long Bed
3V V10
Torqueshift
4:30 Limited Slip
Old 05-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Elder User

A. Michael Foxtrot is starting off with a positive reputation.
the whole mirror doesn't need to be replaced, but the back half of the mirror assembly will. Ask me how I know

1998 F-150 S/C XLT 4X4 4.6
2005 F-350 C/C Lariat 4X4 6.0
Click me to see what I drive
Old 05-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Michael Foxtrot View Post
the whole mirror doesn't need to be replaced, but the back half of the mirror assembly will. Ask me how I know
OK...how do you know - and how is it done??
Super Cab / Long Bed
3V V10
Torqueshift
Old 05-17-2008, 11:33 PM
Elder User

A. Michael Foxtrot is starting off with a positive reputation.
A road sign leaped out in front of my truck and smashed the lens of my signal mirror.

The lens as far as I could tell, is glued to the back half of the mirror assembly. I didn't need to replace the entire mirror assembly, (which is what I was lead to believe what the OP was inquiring) rather just the rear half (signal lens included) could be purchased and replaced. Remove the glass, pop off the fasteners holding the rear portion to the main assembly, unplug signal light. Take new signal light plug and plug it in. Reattach the new rear portion to the main mirror assembly. Reattach glass to assembly and you're good to go.

Though I'll admit, mine was a little easier to do as the force of the sign that struck the mirror also popped out the glass, making it easier to access the clips necessary to release the rear portion of the mirror from the main assembly.

1998 F-150 S/C XLT 4X4 4.6
2005 F-350 C/C Lariat 4X4 6.0
Click me to see what I drive
Old 05-17-2008, 11:40 PM
Senior User

bigjake0524 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would check with powerstrokeshop.com or ed the parts guy! Will probably have way cheaper prices than your local dealership.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Senior User

Hmmmm - will do..will do gentlemen!

Thanks!
Super Cab / Long Bed
3V V10
Torqueshift
Old 05-18-2008, 01:54 AM
Elder User

kengarchow is starting off with a positive reputation.
why not get the clears since you have a broken one?
Old 05-18-2008, 04:15 AM
Freshman User

fordemt2001 is starting off with a positive reputation.
When i bought my 06 the lens was cracked, the salesman was a good sport about seeing how i already bought the truck and paid out of his pocket to get it. Mine has the chrome backs and at his cost the part was 194.00 and i was going to replace it myself and the service guy said he would do it cause they are a real pain if your not careful and can break the glass.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Postmaster

Beerstalker has a very good reputation on FTE.Beerstalker has a very good reputation on FTE.Beerstalker has a very good reputation on FTE.
These guys are mostly right. You cannot replace the amber light itself if you want new, you have to replace the black plastic (or Chrome) that holds the light also. The black plastic ones ran about $80 when I bought mine from Ed (FTE Parts Guy) a little over a year ago. The lights themselves are not glued to the black plastic though, they can be removed. You can check in the classifieds here or look on ebay to see if anyone is selling the light itself, or you can look into the aftermarket lights from Recon. I personally changed out my amber lights for the smoked lights from Recon and I like them much better. Buying the pair doesn't cost much more than buying a single mirror back with light from the dealer.

You don't have to remove the mirror glass to get the mirror back off either. If you tilt the glass all the way in you can look behind it and see the two latches that need depressed, and use a long screwdriver to depress them. Then tilt the mirror all the way out and there is one more tab on the other side. This is how I replaced mine. Just be sure not to sit in your drivers seat with the screwdriver sticking out of your back poket like I did

BTW here is a link to the Recon Lights.
Recon Accessories: FORD SIDE Mirror Lenses
Recon Smoked Cab, Mirror, and Brake Lights
MSD Dashhawk w/A Pillar Mount
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
Lund Eclipse Window Vents
Weatherguard Toolbox
Old 05-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post
These guys are mostly right. You cannot replace the amber light itself if you want new, you have to replace the black plastic (or Chrome) that holds the light also. The black plastic ones ran about $80 when I bought mine from Ed (FTE Parts Guy) a little over a year ago. The lights themselves are not glued to the black plastic though, they can be removed.

BTW here is a link to the Recon Lights.
Recon Accessories: FORD SIDE Mirror Lenses
If you can remove the black (chrome) plastic and then remove the lights - can't you just re-install the lights and re-install the black (chrome) plastic?
Super Cab / Long Bed
3V V10
Torqueshift
Old 05-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Posting Guru

caprang is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
sorry if I am being retarded here. Are you guys saying that yes the amber lens does come out fairly easy and can be replaced with a unit like the smoked Recon, but the reason you cant do this with the amber lense is because Ford doesnt sell just the lens and requires you to buy the whole mirror back?

If that is true it seems silly that Ford wouldnt sell just the lens. If it is indeed a removeable item why wouldnt they sell just that individual item.
Job #3 build, 2" leveling kit, rear air bags, smoked cab lights and mirror lenses
Old 05-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Postmaster

Beerstalker has a very good reputation on FTE.Beerstalker has a very good reputation on FTE.Beerstalker has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caprang View Post
sorry if I am being retarded here. Are you guys saying that yes the amber lens does come out fairly easy and can be replaced with a unit like the smoked Recon, but the reason you cant do this with the amber lense is because Ford doesnt sell just the lens and requires you to buy the whole mirror back?

If that is true it seems silly that Ford wouldnt sell just the lens. If it is indeed a removeable item why wouldnt they sell just that individual item.
That is exactly what I am saying. For some reason Ford won't sell the lights by themselves. There is no reason for it as far as I can tell.

I originally had the chrome mirrors on my truck and didn't like them so I bought the black mirror backs and they came with new amber lights. I then bought the smoked Recon lights and replaced the amber ones, and then installed the black mirror backs with the smoked lights on my truck. I sold my chrome mirrors, and extra amber lights to a buddy at work (efoster_01 on here). As far as I know he might still have them so you might try sending him a PM to see if he would be willing to sell you one (he wrecked his 06 and has an 08 now so he really wouldn't need them).
Recon Smoked Cab, Mirror, and Brake Lights
MSD Dashhawk w/A Pillar Mount
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
Lund Eclipse Window Vents
Weatherguard Toolbox
Old 05-19-2008, 01:22 PM