Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Junior User

travisg96 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Red face Bio as solvent

I am working on cleaning up my head as I am waiting for gaskets to arrive so I decided to get some B99 to clean the parts up with figuring that it would be less toxic than using diesel or other chemical solvent. Started off this morning by wiping out my wash tub and filling it up with bio. Started out cleaning intake bolts that were encrusted with grime, so I put them in and walked away letting them soak. Came back about a hour later and started to brush them off with the parts brush. I noticed two things the grime pretty much just rinsed off and the silicon on the handle of the brush was starting to dissolve. As I progressed with my cleaning I would let the parts soak for a little while before scrubbing them down. It appeared as the bio got warmer it was cutting the grime with more ease. After finishing up I tried a bit scrubbing it on some encrusted grime in the engine compartment and it cut through it faster than anytime I had tried to pressure wash it. Well I don't know if I am he first person to notice this but I think tat I might start using bio as a cleaning solvent from now on. Besides cleaning faster and better my hands don't smell like I have been working in a car.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:26 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
I've been using B-100 in my solvent tank for years. Really works good, but it will remove paint if you leave it in to long!

I use it in my "normal" solvent tank, and also in my "automatic" parts washer. I have a 10 gallon can of "regular" solvent next to my parts washers to dip the parts in to remove the bio so the parts will dry faster, and not leave a "slimy" feel to them.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 05-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Junior User

travisg96 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Have you noticed it being more more solvent at higher temperatures? It is 80 deg outside right now so I would guess that it is the same temp being as it was sitting in the sun. Also it seems to dissolve the silicone on the end of the bolts and the where someone had tried to use as a make a gasket. I have never seen anything eat up silicone like that.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:18 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Yes, heat makes it work much faster. Watch for any plastic parts, because it will soften those too!

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 05-16-2008, 05:18 PM