Need help to ID y block motor

Old 02-27-2001, 03:24 AM
bill v
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was just involved in friends purchase of a Y block motor. Was to be installed in his 56 F100. Turns out motor is industrial version of unknown cubic inches. Beleive it to have been used in a early 60's tow truck. Motor had all brackets and accsessories including water cooled air pump and p/s pump. Has the rams horn style exhaust manifolds with the one piece heat shield gasket, a hydraulicly operated clutch, and a 5 speed trans. with drum emergency brake at rear. Now that this setup is in the barn its obvious that this motor is longer and wider than the 292 in the 56. Can someone help us id this motor and determine its displacement without tearing it apart?? Cast upsidedown high at the right rear is C8TE 6015A, at the left front is 4C80:1, and on the 4bbl intake C1TE-942S-C. Is this enough info to make a call or are we missing some other vital clues?? Does anyone know of a good source book that would cover this topic in depth?? What about a club specializing in the older medium and heavy rigs?? I've used the FTE class ads many times with good success. This is my first post on the message board. Hope this too will be helpfull. Thanks for a wonderful site and kudos for the speed in which all my inputs have been processed. Bill V. Pnx. Az.

Old 02-27-2001, 06:21 AM
Nate_64
Senior User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 27-Feb-01 AT 07:30 AM (EST)[/font][p]Bill,
Those numbers do not appear to be for a y-block. The date code (C8) on the block is for 1968. The y-block hasn't been used since 64. I looked for your numbers in my books and couldn't find them.

There are some engines from the MEL engine family that I think look similar to y-blocks at first glance. They were used in a lot of medium and heavy duty trucks and I think were used at least until 68, which might explain the casting # on the block

I found an engine with the same intake casting # a couple of weeks ago in 1961 T-750. I am almost sure it was a MEL engine, too. It also matched your description. I think the MEL engines included the 401, 477, and 534.

I hope someone can offer you more help.

Nate

1964 F-100 Custom Cab 292 V-8 3 spd
1964 F-100 292 V-8 3 spd
1990 F-150 5.8L
Check out http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/fordpickups61to66fseries

Old 02-27-2001, 02:10 PM
BB
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Bill and welcome to FTE. Sounds like you have one of the Ford Super Duty engines. These were dedicated truck engines that are similar in design to the MEL but are a family all to themselves, bigger and heavier. I haven’t seen one for a while but I believe the oil cooler is built into the front passenger side of the block and uses the engine coolant. Also, the flange for the intake ports on the heads rises up and is nearly horizontal. Nate's right, they came in 401, 477 and 534 displacements. The Ford truck shop manuals cover these engines, sorry I can’t be much more help on this.

Barry

Old 02-27-2001, 04:46 PM
wytfut
Junior User

I believe I have been around a few of these motors... big ol' things with no rpms to speak of... but wouldn't the first clue be the distribuor placement??

Old 02-27-2001, 05:11 PM
BB
Post Fiend

I thought the MEL and the Super Duty both had the distributor up front.

Barry

Old 02-27-2001, 09:23 PM
BB
Post Fiend

Oh, I see what your saying wytfut, talk about missing the obvious! The oil filter is on the front passenger side for the Super Duty, front driver side for the MEL and rear driver side for the Y. Hope that helps.

Barry

Old 02-28-2001, 05:42 PM
Kenny
Cargo Master

You are correct. the Super duty engines did have the distributor up front. You may have one of the Heavy Duty engines like the 302 HD V-8, or the 332 HD V-8 if it came out of an F-750 OR F-800. The distributor was in the back on those, and they did have the "ram's horn" style manifold.
Kenny

Old 05-23-2001, 05:46 PM
tlak
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do the rams horn style exhaust manifolds look like? I have an impression of like Chevy.

Old 05-25-2001, 03:34 AM
bill v
New User

Yes the ramshorn style exhaust manifold was used on the small block cheys in the late 50s and 60s. The casting arches over from both the outside exhaust ports to the center two where the casting increases in size and continues straight down to bolt to the head pipe. This is considered by many to be the most free flowing of all the common cast iron exhaust manifold styles. As for motor ID, still haven't got any info we can take to the bank. Distributor is at back and presently we're leaning towards the 332 cu.in. Gettin to feel like poor OJ searchin those golf coarses in Fla. for the killer. Bill V.

Old 05-25-2001, 09:04 AM
tlak
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess my question is did the Y motors have a ram horn exhaust and what did it look like? Did it look like the chevy with the center pipe hookup?

Old 05-25-2001, 11:35 PM
hpguy
Elder User

Yes, Y-blocks look like small Ch*vy's with the exhaust, and the dist. in the back; BUT; what is called the 'Ram's horn' exhaust, is not the Ch*vy exhaust setup, but that the manifold on the driver's side exits on the front of the engine, with a crossover pipe just behind the radiator to the front of the passenger side manifold. The exhaust then runs out the back of the passenger side manifold and out a single pipe.

-Andrew
f250_64(No Email Addresses In Posts!), same for yahoo messenger

Nothing, and I mean nothing, stirs the soul, saying I'm a bad **** like lettin'em rip with a window shaking, fuel gulpin, carbon monoxide belchin, attention gettin, V-oh my LORD!-8!

Old 05-26-2001, 01:01 AM
bill v
New User

Andrew, beg to differ with you here. The exhaust system you've discribed is the standard Ford pass.car and light truck setup for the Y blocks. I've never heard of this style refered to as rams horns, why would they?? The ramshorn is so named because if you use some imagination this is what they resemble. Head in the middle and big horns arching off to each side. These were used on the heavier series of Ford trucks only. They're quite scarce now. Bill V. Pnx. Az.

Old 06-06-2001, 11:45 PM
hpguy
Elder User

Sorry... I was a little confused.

-Andrew
f250_64(No Email Addresses In Posts!), same for yahoo messenger

Nothing, and I mean nothing, stirs the soul, saying I'm a bad **** like lettin'em rip with a window shaking, fuel gulpin, carbon monoxide belchin, attention gettin, V-oh my LORD!-8!

Old 06-07-2001, 12:54 PM
darkman
Posting Guru

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-Jun-01 AT 01:56 PM (EST)[/font][p]Sorry I don't know where this pic came from but it's a great looking ride.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/User_files/3b1fbfb20edec216.jpg

Hope this pic helps

Charles

Old 03-29-2002, 12:36 PM
yalincoln
New User

hello, you've got a 302 or 332 HD truck motor, same design as the 52-57 lincoln-y-block. very little will interchange,sorry. if you decide to use this engine you'll probably want to use 57 big valve lincoln heads and a 56-57 lincoln cam unless it has solid lifters whitch means you'll have to go aftermarket unless you use the hydralics with the lincoln cam. the block to bell bolt pattern is different than any other so you'll have to use a truck bell or a trans from a lincoln. hope this helps, wayne in ohio.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help to ID y block motor