Sponsored by: Moser

2009 5.4L horsepower leaked

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:59 AM
'68EB
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
1. I'll disagree here....theres a reason you don't see alot of short wheelbase vehicles in mud, longer wheelbase trucks work better in mud bogs...

2. If you really cared about acceleration or towing....why don't you complain about torque...as thats what actually gets the job done there..... Semi's out there have 4-500 hp...and can pull far more than you'll ever tow with a pickup... so i'll ask again, do you need 400 hp, or are you just playing into the hp wars?

3. No...lightning and srt10 owners aren't stupid....they bought LIMITED EDITION trucks....not run of the mill daily drivers.

Well you shouldnt be mudding its a waste of fuel (you like someine telling you what you should or should not do?)

Hp is a product of torque and fords currently lack across the board. Besides most personal trucks are empty most of teh time.

what does it matter how many trucks with hi HP are ,made? some people want best in class some people think they dont.

You and others need to stop telling everyone what they need/want. especially a guy with such a wasteful truck as yours.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:02 AM
tjthegreat
Elder User
from what i understand the ranger isnt exactly small and light for a ranger,ive heard noting good about any newer models out.... i kno this is off topic,but can anyone tell me why the jeeps are popular off roading vehicles,they dont have very big engine in them do they?

Old 05-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by '68EB
Well you shouldnt be mudding its a waste of fuel (you like someine telling you what you should or should not do?)

Hp is a product of torque and fords currently lack across the board. Besides most personal trucks are empty most of teh time.

what does it matter how many trucks with hi HP are ,made? some people want best in class some people think they dont.

You and others need to stop telling everyone what they need/want. especially a guy with such a wasteful truck as yours.
1. What you do for a hobby is up to you.....(plus...i don't own the 95 anymore....for the record)

2. 390 ft-lbs of torque isn't enough? And yes...hp is a function of torque...which is the point i've brought up time and time again...if you're complaining about a lack of torque thats one thing...but you keep harping on not enough hp...which makes me think you're just wanting a truck thats fast....and if thats not the case...explain to me what you need more than 390 ft-lbs of torque for?

3. Since what ford builds in 2009-2010 will affect me (i plan on another new truck in two years), I do have a right to voice my opinion. Ford isn't going to offer 23 engine choices, and since I don't need 400 hp, I really hope they don't bump the hp on the 5.4 past where they've already been confirmed of doing. If you feel you need 450 hp....go buy a toyota...or a dodge.... I hope they keep it right where it is.....

By the way....what do you drive now?

Old 05-19-2008, 11:17 AM
AB328
Senior User
Yup I was certainly hoping for more.....maybe like 340hp/385-400 tq. I guess we will just have to see what the new transmission does for these trucks.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tjthegreat
from what i understand the ranger isnt exactly small and light for a ranger,ive heard noting good about any newer models out.... i kno this is off topic,but can anyone tell me why the jeeps are popular off roading vehicles,they dont have very big engine in them do they?
They do for the weight.....they weigh at approx 3800 lbs...and have 200 hp ..... many jeep owners will tell you they prefered the 4.0 straight six they used to come with vs. the current v6, and you'll also see ALOT of jeeps with v8 swaps into them off road...

Not bad for a vehicle their size and weight....they're also very popular due to the two solid axles (much better off road), things like 4:1 transfer cases (rubicon), dual lockers and narrow footprint on the trails....

Old 05-19-2008, 11:21 AM
tjthegreat
Elder User
i sure as hell dont need 400hp.if you look at the 351 for example it put out 210hp,and around 330 ibls of torque,and i think everyone was happy,but if you want to have a 400 hp truck thats fine,its just more$$$$$

Old 05-19-2008, 11:41 AM
azfordf100man
Elder User
Hey guys, did you see that pickuptrucks.com updated their article on this stating in the yellow box that if the 5.4 is running on regular gas the gains are only 10HP and 0 tq. Don't know the merit to this, and hope that it is false.

A source has come forward with additional details about power ratings for 5.4-L 3-valve V8 equipped 2009 Ford F-150s. The ratings vary, whether the truck is fueled with regular gasoline or E85 (85% ethanol / 15% gasoline).

- 320hp and 390 lb-ft (running on E85)
- 310hp and 365 lb-ft (running on gasoline)

PickupTrucks.com: Update 1 - 2009 Ford F-150 5.4-liter V8 Power Ratings Unofficially Revealed

Old 05-19-2008, 11:42 AM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok ,
Let me ask this question:
Whats the Advantage of less H.P and Less torque given the same mileage ?
Example : Money does not solve all problems but It can buy you anything poverty can.

If were talking Trucks here and they all get around the same mileage and all have a auto's
What can a truck with less h.p/tq , Smaller brakes/Smaller axle do better that a Truck with Class leading spec's ?.
Does FORD's new F150 look to be the Future leader in U.S truck sales ? and the BEST the #1 truck leader can do ?

It feels like a Harley thing , We sell them and they buy them weather or not it's good or someone makes it better.

Look what Ford did with the Ranger, This is a perfect time to have a updated class leading smallish truck. But it's almost dead. At one point The ranger was a class leader and very popular now its a Toyota fest.

I hope FORD does not think the F150 will stay #1 just because it's a FORD
People are getting smarter about what they buy and there are MANY more choices now than ever.
and the internet brings all that together like no time in the past

Old 05-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by supeRobertduty
Ok ,
Let me ask this question:
Whats the Advantage of less H.P and Less torque given the same mileage ?
Example : Money does not solve all problems but It can buy you anything poverty can.

If were talking Trucks here and they all get around the same mileage and all have a auto's
What can a truck with less h.p/tq , Smaller brakes/Smaller axle do better that a Truck with Class leading spec's ?.
Does FORD's new F150 look to be the Future leader in U.S truck sales ? and the BEST the #1 truck leader can do ?

It feels like a Harley thing , We sell them and they buy them weather or not it's good or someone makes it better.

Look what Ford did with the Ranger, This is a perfect time to have a updated class leading smallish truck. But it's almost dead. At one point The ranger was a class leader and very popular now its a Toyota fest.

I hope FORD does not think the F150 will stay #1 just because it's a FORD
People are getting smarter about what they buy and there are MANY more choices now than ever.
and the internet brings all that together like no time in the past

preach on brotha!

Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Sure wish I had some of what you are drinking or smoking

which statement are you referring to? the global warming one? - come visit me in MN. The drilling into ND or alaska? let gas hit $10/gal like the other thread predicted, you'll see those places drilled like swiss cheese. the complaining about MPG part? true, ye'r all a buncha whiners when it comes to that, that ain't gonna happen.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:45 PM
RwdyRedneck07
New User
Bring Back The 351, Screw the 5.4.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:39 PM
ffdemoss
Senior User
Are there current differences in the HP/TQ ratings between the US and Canada? The picture shown on the webiste is from a Candaian brochure.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by RwdyRedneck07
Bring Back The 351, Screw the 5.4.
Tell me one thing the 351 did better than the 5.4?

Old 05-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
Tell me one thing the 351 did better than the 5.4?
let go of its spark plugs?

sorry, couldn't resist

Old 05-19-2008, 02:18 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The thing is the arguing is pretty much pointless, re: one group saying we don't need more horsepower, the other saying we do. Its why more than one engine is offered.

If you don't need or want more horsepower, stick with the 4.6L 2-valve or the 4.6L 3-valve. If you want it or need it get the 5.4L V8. For those wanting or needing more the numbers are disappointing. For many the F250 is overkill and towing 8,000 lbs with a F150 with a high torque, 380+ HP engine is surely going to be more enjoyable than with a 320 HP engine.

My hope is that Ford is playing a disinformation game, like they did with Nissan and tow ratings. The whole world knew Ford "numbers" until Nissan started production of their truck... then Ford announced the tow rating was actually higher. Surely Ford wouldn't present this information to dealers knowing the history they have of not abidding by non-disclosure aggreements if they didn't want it out in the public. Maybe the numbers are real... maybe not, but Ford wouldn't have shown them if they believed they wouldn't leak.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:26 PM
excaliber551
Elder User
Originally Posted by Fosters
sooo have you looked at a ranger lately?

I see nothing but a bunch of people complaining that the F150 is too big, but at the same time the ranger is dying because of no sales. wtf gives?
I'm not interested in a Ranger. I have an older Toyota truck with a 3.0 V6 in it that's been the best vehicle I've ever owned. I'm looking for a 1/2 ton like a Tundra or a F150.
Actually the Ranger sales have been up year to date but the way to go is Toyota if you are looking for a smaller truck.

I don't think the F150 is too big. It's too heavy and the power plant is beyond weak and the miniscule engine upgrade still has it bringing up the rear.

Quick Reply: 2009 5.4L horsepower leaked