Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 02:17 AM
hotrodtodd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you identify my pics?

Early 99' F-250 psd

I have a couple of questions regarding these pictures,

#1 is this the stock plug under the rear bumper for a trailer harness plug because mine is missing and I need one, and is there a stock plug under the dash for a brake controller that ties into it?

#2 is this oil relocation setup stock and are they both for oil I assume?

#3 I have a 4" rancho lift in the truck and cant stand how low the sway bar links hang down, has anyone seen this before and should I mod it or just remove it all together?

Thanks for any help.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:33 AM
JOE-M
Elder User
#2 No, that's not the stock filter setup. Stock will have only one filter on the engine, where that setup has the plate that the hoses run from. Yes, both filters are for the oil. My guess is the first one is the full flow filter and the second one is the bypass filter for extra filtration. Make sure you replace the second one with the same filter number. #3 Yes they look low to me (but then again, I don't have a lift).
Joe

Old 05-16-2008, 06:45 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome to FTE!!!

Keep in mind that the early 99's have a few quirks and I don't know them all so take what I say with a grain of salt.

#1 That looks like the stock plug for the trailer harness. Yes there should be a plug underneath the dash that a Ford factory wiring harness for a brake controller should plug right into. It is usually gray and square in shape. It should be to the right of the steering column, towards the middle of the underside of the dash.
#2. As Joe stated that is a relocation kit with a bypass set-up, which is a good thing. I will disagree with him on the statement of replacing the second filter with the exact same filter number. I would cross reference that thing and get rid of the Fram filter on your next oil change. They are junk. Go with a Wix or a Napa Gold brand, they are much better. I don't run a bypass set-up so I'm not sure if you need an different filter than stock on the bypass element, so I would ask someone who does and see what they run.

#3. I agree with you and Joe on this too. They look way low to me.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:52 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I notice you have stock front leaf springs. No way you could have a 4" lift with stock springs, sorry. That looks like 4" drop links for the swaybar. I bet putting in 4" springs would make it sit level. Ideally you want the sway bar to be parallel to the ground.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:23 AM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Yep, got to go with Kris, the only thing that is related to a four inch lift on the front is the drop links. May have had one at one time, but it is stock now, except for the drops. And welcom to the site.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:41 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
1. That is the OEM trailer wiring connector. However, here's the catch- none of the aftermarket trailer wiring kits I've found come with that plug on them. You're going to have to do some junk yard scouring to get the right plug I think. Actually I lied- there are a few "OEM replacement" setups that have the right plug.
3. I agree with Kris- those are stock springs. My swaybar does not point downward like that on my early 99.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:42 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Chase, do you know, that you have a 1, and a 3, but not a 2?

Old 05-16-2008, 08:28 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just curious on #2, are you sure it is oil and not fuel filters??

Old 05-17-2008, 07:07 AM
chrisjrosenbohm
Mountain Pass
Well with pic 3 I have a 6 inch lift and mine is exactly the same. Looks badbut I dont take it off roadin or anything. My friend has a 2000 sprduty with the same lift and he removed the whole sway bar with no ill affects looks better and drives the same.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:14 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like you are covered on #1 and 2, for #3.......that setup is definitely wrong, you can relocate the end links where they bolt to the frame, IF it won't hit on anything during articulation. Simply remove those drop shackles...and you could possibly already have other holes to use on the frame, or you can drill new ones. The expensive route....is to buy new sway bar links that are the correct length.....but you should just be able to relocate where they bolt up to frame. When I lifted mine more.....I simply flipped the mounts upside down, and it gave me extra length.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
#3 I'm with Kris and the others, look like stock springs to me. It also appears that longer sway bar links were used with drop brackets. I'd say eliminate the drop brackets and the sway bar should sit level. I did a 4" lift in mine a couple weks ago and installed the drop brackets and new end links(stock length) The stock and new links measure 12" center to center.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:27 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You still could possibly have a 4" lift if you have the spring hangers in the front. Post a side view picture of your truck, and maybe where the front part of the leafs attach. Definitely stock springs ya got there though

Old 05-17-2008, 11:43 AM
hotrodtodd
Senior User
Thanks for the input guys, so the filter setup isnt stock and will increase the life of the oil and require more oil to fill than stock. The local shop here had all the stuff to get my trailer brakes and wiring up to par including the factory plug at the bumper to the big 7 pin plug including the plug under the dash, it couldnt have been any easier. And the suspension has the stock spirngs yes, they have the ford stamp on them but have the front and rear extended hangers. The link I was thinking is just too long to be right (I bought the truck as it is now) and was thinking I could just shorten the links as I have all the stuff to do it properly or just take the whole thing out and see how it handles then.

My first thing to do now is clean up that oily mess underneath, replace the filters, oil, transmission oil, fuel filter and air bags for sure because my trailer is going to be tug'd around everywhere and I cant stand the truck sagging below level.

So a couple more lame questions, do I have a water seperator and where is it located?

I noticed the tranny pan has a drain plug and is it just as simple to replace the fluid as open, drain, fill?

Fuel filter location?

And I was reading here about the plug in the side of the tranny for a temp gauge but I didnt really see one that jumped out at me, is there a pic someone has or is already here? I a lucky enough to have the BD diesel factory where I live and my friend is a salesman there so I get real good deals and some Ford friends of mine highly recommend the oversize oil pan from them that already has a spot for the temp guage built in, does anyone have one and is it worth the upgrade for my tow rig?

Thanks again guys this is my first Ford and have to say I am impressed how Ford does it right with the heavy duty stuff the first time with all the options stock VS other brands, I would rather ask dumb questions to do the job right

Old 05-17-2008, 07:05 PM
HighOctane
PMS: an obsession

I have the deep oversized oil pan for the tranny and would recommend that you spend the $200 elsewhere. I don't think it is really needed. Get yourself and upgraded tranny cooler like the 6.0 version or the Tru-Cool inline addition. My .02

Old 05-17-2008, 07:48 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So a couple more lame questions, do I have a water seperator and where is it located?

It is located on top of the engine under the PS cover, the fuel filter is in there too.

And I was reading here about the plug in the side of the tranny for a temp gauge but I didnt really see one that jumped out at me, is there a pic someone has or is already here

It is at the top above the pan on the drivers side, if you get gauges (I recommend there should be a description with it.

I noticed the tranny pan has a drain plug and is it just as simple to replace the fluid as open, drain, fill?

Here is one way to do it LINKY this is a flush you can also just change fluid and filter, but you have to drop the pan.

Quick Reply: Can you identify my pics?