Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Senior User
Garage is empty, add now

tr0y is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chemical Prices ?

After successful small batches I am about start larger scale production in the next week or two. I have found suppliers for the methanol and NaOH /KOH what are you folks paying per gallon / pound for supplies ? I just need to know I am in the ball park on costs.

Has anyone figured out a per gallon cost for finished product as well ?

THanks

Troy

Soon to add 4" turbo back, Guages, and SCT with some tunes, and of course I would bet new headgaskets and studs when the truck tells me it needs them.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Postmaster
Garage is empty, add now

empiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to allempiretc is a name known to all
$7/pound delivered for KOH. Methanol ~$3/gallon. Haven't gone big yet, but have cost figured right now ~$1.25/gallon without methanol recovery.

Please, do not text & drive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRwfq7Igvxc

-David
Old 05-16-2008, 09:13 AM
1935 Ford pickup

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
I'm paying just over $1/lb for KOH, and $2.60 gal for methanol.

Total cost of production including Magnesol........$1.20 per gallon.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Senior User
Garage is empty, add now

Gun-Driver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fabman does that $1.20 figure include the methanol recovered? I'm right around the same price for everything but the methanol I'm paying around $3.09 a gallon, $170.00 a drum.
I just figured my cost to produce including methanol recovery at just under a dollar a gallon. Maybe my math was off.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:50 AM
Senior User
Garage is empty, add now

lowell75 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check Ebay for KOH sources!!
Old 05-16-2008, 10:01 AM
1935 Ford pickup

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun-Driver View Post
Fabman does that $1.20 figure include the methanol recovered? I'm right around the same price for everything but the methanol I'm paying around $3.09 a gallon, $170.00 a drum.
I just figured my cost to produce including methanol recovery at just under a dollar a gallon. Maybe my math was off.
I do not include my recovered Methanol in my cost. If I did the cost would be below $1/gallon

I also do not include the value of my canola crop. If I sold just the canola oil I could sell it for $2.68/ gallon. I do sell the canola meal for $200/ton, which offsets the value of the oil.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Senior User
Garage is empty, add now

Gun-Driver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks Fabman. I was wondering if my figures were screwed up. I guess their about right.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Senior User
Garage is empty, add now

tr0y is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks guys, my methanol supplier wants 5.96 a gallon, clearly to much where are you ordering supplies from ?

Thanks

Soon to add 4" turbo back, Guages, and SCT with some tunes, and of course I would bet new headgaskets and studs when the truck tells me it needs them.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:49 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels