New to the site.
In the middle of the Ordering/Building process for my new 2008 Limited 4x4 Expedition EL. The waiting is killing me.
I was wondering if any current owners of this beast has any reviews/comments/suggestions on it.
We got nearly everything except the GPS, DVD ent center. Think thats it.
The test drive was real nice. Surprised me a lot. Didn't drive like a truck at all. Trading in my 2002 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 quad cab. Wonder if I will get any better MPG out of it. Ram was bad at around 14-15mpg.
Mostly use to take trips and haul my hounds around. Irish Wolfhound and a Bernese Mountain dog. They out grew the Freestyle that I had bought as the dog mobile. Now it becomes my commuter car. And they get the truck
The gas mileage sucks. The leather on the front seats is thin. I still would not get rid of it for anything else...and I am a Chevy/Nissan guy. Ford got most everything right. I do love it. No I NEVER bought it for the gas mileage. I did buy it for the passenger room in all rows. It is a GREAT people hauler. ENJOY!!!
White Sand 08 Expy EL Limited 4x4 with everything but the power running boards & trip tunes.
The MPGs was not one of our choices for this truck .
Mostly that it would fit our two dogs and us. And sense I will probably be driving this till it drops, seeing as trade in value will probably be not good , we decided to go all out and get the bells and whisles.
Heres a full breakdown of what we ordered:
Expedition EL 4x4 2008.
Ext: Black clearcoat
Int: Black Charcoal
Engine: 5.4 V8
Trans: 6 speed
Chairs 1st: Captains
Cooled & Heated
Chairs 2nd: Bench
Chairs 3rd: Power fold down
Radio: In-dash 6 CD
Speed Adj Volume
Pedals: Power Adjusted
Garage Opener: Universal
Reverse Sensor: Yep
Power rear: Yep
Rear Supension: Load Leveling
Life Gate: Powered
Rear View Camra: Yep
Running Boards: Yep
Sun Roof: Moon roof powered.
All this for $100 over invoice + $3500 coupon + $7000 trade in on the Ram.
What do ye all think og that deal? Not sure on the trade in value. Another dealer would have given us $7200, but I didn't care too much for the dealer.
Other the the trade in value I think the deal was good.
MPG certainly was not one of our requirements when selecting our next vehicle. We had requirements of
- Seat 2 adults, 2 children (in carseats) and have room for 2 90+ lb labrador retreivers in the seating area.
- Tow (safely) a 7,700lb TT
- Accomodate both a 6'2" and 5'4" driver
- fold-flat seats that are permanently installed in the vehicle (this is where the Suburban missed out)
- inside floor area to accomodate 4x8 plywood.
We (my wife) eliminated any of the s-crew trucks, as she did not want a pickup again. We test drove the Expy and fell in love with the ride and it met all of our requirements. Everything else was a bonus.
We opted for an EL XLT in the Dark Blue Pearl Metallic with Charcoal interior.
Factory options added
- Heavy Duty Tow,
- All-weather mats
- Sirius sat radio
- Convenience package
- Engine Heater.
- 18" Chrome Clad with Scorpion tires.
Dealer "options" were to add on the 7/100 extended warranty. My dealer was pushing a third-party service contract. They ended up matching the best price I could find online for the ESP, then 2 weeks after I got the truck I got a reply from another place who would have beat it by about $100 bucks.
I don't remember the bottom line price, but the sticker was around 42,000, we had the ford 2,500 rebate, a conquest (competitor) rebate of 1,000 and the dealer dropped another 4,200 or so. We ordered on 3/12, took delivery 4/17. In the end we were about $250 over invoice, plus the dealer charge of $119. We probably could have gotten a better deal at another dealership, but this one was the one right down the road from us, and they were the ones who truly took their time with us. Overall I am happy with the price we paid, that's all that is important, right?
Customer added options since delivery:
- VR3 wireless backup camera - works surprisingly well for the price, $98 at Wal-mart.
- "Hotspots" blind spot mirrors.
- MSD Dashhawk (still looking for a mount)
- LUND Eclipse In-Channel window vents.
- Ultra White reverse lights
- CargoLogic cargo organizer and carpet protector (on backorder)
Future changes: (wish list)
- winter rims/tires
- brush guard with lights
- dvd system (headrest likely, since we have the moonroof)
My only complaint is there was a substantial air bubble in the clearcoat on the inside of the liftgage, about the size of a pencil eraser. I have not been able to take it in to the dealer to have them look at it yet, but I did call them and they said it should be no problem to fix.
During the first 500 ish miles, we averaged about 13.6 with my wife driving, 14.2 with me driving. Towing the TT we saw around 8.8, but never went into overdrive and was all local semi-hilly country roads with 45 mph speed limit tops. Next month we have a longer towing trip, about 1 hour each way, and July is across WI for a 3 hour tour... er... trip.
Don't let the wait get to you. Surf the forums here and plan out all of the things you're going to do once you get it!
2000 Mercury Mountaineer V6
2008 Ford Expedition EL XLT
I installed these in the holes that attach the lower portion of the rear bumper cover to the frame using stainless hardware, replacing the plastic push in plugs. The wiring was done into a 7pin plug with a 2 wire disconnect, so it isn't dangling when I am towing. Long term solution will be to hardwire the lights, but this will do for now.
2000 Mercury Mountaineer V6
2008 Ford Expedition EL XLT
I would like to start this new thread by saying I LOVE MY 2007 Expy Limited EL. I am on my 4 th Expedition. However my Expy has been in the shop 4 times….I have had it since June 2007 and I have 10,000 miles on it…
1. You all know this problem I have in this thread I started a couple of months back..
2. The strut on the motorized liftgate was making a horrible screeching sound going up and down…Problem fixed with a replacement strut.
3. Driver side mirror was very loose….Problem fixed with a replacement mirror.
4. A wind storm was coming through the driver side window at speeds in excess of 40 MPH…..Problem fixed with a replacement of the felt-like molding on the inside of the window.
5. AND NOW….the heated and cooled seats buttons on the AC cluster will not light up and therefore the seat will not heat or cool. The passenger sign works fine. …Problem not fixed yet…
6. Do not hit the cheap tin rim against anything. It scratches easily.
7. Also, the leather on the driver seat is wearing much faster than my previous Expy’s.
I hope this helps........
Black 2007 Ford Expedition Limited 4X4
Black 2004 Ford Expedition Limited 4X2 (traded in)
Black 2003 Ford Expedition XLT 4X2 (traded in)
Black 1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4X2 (traded in)
(Purchased in 1996 during the very first release)
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.