Old 05-13-2008, 05:04 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 05-13-2008, 06:12 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ford needed to do this 10 years ago. They've lost a lot of Ranger sales to people buying mid-sized trucks.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:17 PM
VikingBabe
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yesterday, while in town, I saw my first Ford F-100 badge in years. Looked like a very early 80s. About time, I would say. Used to see these driven around by local farmers and small businesses that switched to Rangers after the F 100 was dropped.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:21 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've gotta agree with Ken on this one, we needed the F100 back a LONG time ago.

If they're willing to sell a stripped down basic model F100 I'll be the first in line to buy it. I don't need any frills, crank windows, vinyl bench seat, plastic interior, and 15 inch rims is prefect to me.

Hell if they're worried about gas mileage throw in a 1BBL 300 six, with a 2.73 axle ratio, and a wide ratio 4 or 5 speed. Sounds a lot like the perfect mileage maker truck they made over 20 fricken years ago.

Time for Ford to take a cue from their past and quite selling strictly bloated mall/soccer buggies. Not everyone wants them damn things.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:33 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Don't count on Ford selling a manual tranny truck for a long time. The take rate on the manuals is under 2%, and Ford started implementing measures a long time ago to help reduce the costs of the truck. Basically, if under a certain percentage buys an option the option is dropped. If over a certain percentage buys an option it becomes standard equipment.

The F100 is not likely to be stripped down truck, but rather a mid-sized truck sharing components with the F150. Its perfect for those needing a truck with more space than a Ranger offers but not needing a full size pickup. I held off on buying a F150 Supercrew for a long time because I wanted a 4 door Ranger because I have family and the truck needs to do double-duty. I looked at how Nissan and others offered mid-sized trucks, with 4 doors as an option, longing for the day Ford would offer one.

I finally threw in the towel and started looking for F150 Supercrew. Only because I came across a deal I couldn't pass up did I buy the Roush. The irony is instead of getting a mid-sized truck I've ended up with 2 full size trucks (actually 3). So now I have a 1975 F100 (parts truck), 2000 Ranger (daughter's driving it though I occasionally use it), 2004 F250 King Ranch 4x4 and a 2006 F150 Roush Supercrew FX4. A mid-sized truck would have been a great replacement for the Ranger, but the Ranger will have to do for now.

By the way, my Ranger has been an extremely reliable truck. Never a problem at all. Its got 130,000+ miles on it and its going very strong. Shocks are worn out but that's to be expected (its an upcoming project for me to change them).

Once I get the backyard project finished (just put in the fence today) the hunt for a good condition 1966 F100 begins in earnest!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:51 PM
71dusterdan
Postmaster
man i sure hope Ken is mistaken about the manual trannies. i wont own a truck that isnt a 3/4, 4x, stick shift. I just cant get over changing my own gears. Dan

Old 05-13-2008, 07:59 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
While I agree on a personal level about manual tranmissions... I can understand why Ford wouldn't too (from a cost point of view)

People don't buy them!

I would expect the 3.7 V6 (Mazda CX-9) to be the engine of choice too, with the 5.0l V8 as an option

Old 05-13-2008, 09:26 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
Don't count on Ford selling a manual tranny truck for a long time. The take rate on the manuals is under 2%, and Ford started implementing measures a long time ago to help reduce the costs of the truck. Basically, if under a certain percentage buys an option the option is dropped. If over a certain percentage buys an option it becomes standard equipment.
Honestly Ken I've never really understood the common trend of dropping manual transmissions among full sized trucks. I'm pretty sure you have a better understanding of the auto industry then I do, but to me it would seem like Ford would want to sell every truck they possibly could. Instead of loosing sales to other automakers wouldn't it be a good business practice to offer everything in a truck? Even if only one buyer wanted a truck with a manual transmission wouldn't it be worth it to sell one to keep that customer happy? Beyond making revenue isn't that what every business is about, keeping your customers happy so they'll buy from you again in the future?.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the provisions for producing a manual trans put in place a long time ago? What I mean is the equipment/assembly line for the manual trans were put in place in the Ford factories many years ago, correct?

I'm also assuming that from the purchase cost of a new vehicle a small percentage of that covers the transmission.

So if a factory has the capability of putting a manual trans into a truck, and the vehicle purchaser is covering the cost of that trans, then why cant they offer it? I can see from Ford's standpoint that it'll cost them money in labor for workers to manufacture and put the trans into the truck. Assuming that a custom order for a manual trans truck was given to the factory wouldn't the cost of that trans be past on to the vehicle purchaser?

I understand that most common folks have no use for a manual trans. But when the automatic trans was introduced no one had any use for them either, so they were offered as an option for those few folks who wanted one. As odd as it may seem to me perhaps an automatic could be offered as the standard trans with a manual as a option. I've heard plenty of people on FTE voice their opinion in favor of a manual trans, Ford can't tell me there wouldn't be a market for one. A small market sure but the demand hasn't completely faded away yet.

The F100 is not likely to be stripped down truck, but rather a mid-sized truck sharing components with the F150. Its perfect for those needing a truck with more space than a Ranger offers but not needing a full size pickup. I held off on buying a F150 Supercrew for a long time because I wanted a 4 door Ranger because I have family and the truck needs to do double-duty. I looked at how Nissan and others offered mid-sized trucks, with 4 doors as an option, longing for the day Ford would offer one.
I'm quite happy to see the return of the F100. Although I don't expect it to be a completely stripped down truck it would be nice if they offered a stripped down trim level of the truck. Something like the way XL, XLT, and Lariat were back in the day. Some people don't want or need all the bells and whistles. Also some purchasing their first new car simply can't afford them. With china and korea soon to be offering really really cheap cars Ford needs to strip what they can to offer some variations of their vehicles for reduced costs.

For the second part of your statement, I've seen my fair share of 4 door tacos and frontiers running around so I know there is a market for small 4 door rigs. Hopefully between the F100, and the return of the Ranger in 2012 (or so I've heard), Ford will end up with a small 4 door truck for that market. If Ford is going to make changes to their lineup it would be smart for them to utilize the ability to offer the new trucks in many different configurations.

By the way, my Ranger has been an extremely reliable truck. Never a problem at all. Its got 130,000+ miles on it and its going very strong. Shocks are worn out but that's to be expected (its an upcoming project for me to change them).
Between my family, friends, and co-workers I can think of 13 Rangers and B-series Mazdas. They are really good trucks. I had a blast 4 wheeling in my buddie's FX4 level 2 Ranger, I love the nuts that little 4 liter has. I've also got nothing but respect for the little 4 bangers, and the good old 3.0s. I can't think of how many times I heard people complain that the ranger hasn't changed since the 80's, I think thats what makes its perfect. It a time tested and proven design. If the Ranger nameplate returns I truly hope it can stand up to what it means, same for the F100.

Once I get the backyard project finished (just put in the fence today) the hunt for a good condition 1966 F100 begins in earnest!
Good luck with you search. I know a lot of the finer old truck examples can be found down there in the south. It truly sucks up here in the rust belt. You can find literally hundreds of really strong running old trucks. The only problem is they all have rust holes big enough to put your fist through. Every now and then you get lucky and find a diamond in the rough, like I did with my '96.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:29 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by IB Adrian
...with the 5.0l V8 as an option
Oh-man a F100 with a 5.0, that'd be enough to put a tear in my eye.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:35 PM
rangerfan
Posting Guru
It's going to be 9/10ths the size of the F-150? What's the point? If I wanted an F-150 I would've bought one a long time ago. Ford should be thinking about us guys and gals that use our Rangers as small trucks not using it for family outings. By the time that thing comes out gas will probably be 6+ per gallon. I use my Ranger to take the tractor to my mom's every Sunday to mow her yard and for mulch around the house.

If we go somewhere as a family we take the Fusion. Sure we sometimes take the Ranger but that is on very rare occations.

I have a neighbor with a 06 F-150 with 4 door and they use it all the time to go to Wal-Mart and other crap while they leave their car at home. When we make normal neighborly small talk he is always complaining about how much it cost him to fill up. I sometimes feel like breaking a beer bottle over his head for complaining.

When was the last time that anybody's seen a Ranger commercial on a national show? Around here at my local dealer they can't keep them in stock anymore, but you can get a used 07 or older F150 for practically nothing anymore.

9/10ths the size? I think Ford is going to really screw the putch on this one. A few soccer mom's may buy it, so they can still travel in a truck and feel good about it, but that's about it.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:03 AM
ggarrahan
Elder User
Well, I've had 3 Rangers, an '85, a '90, and a '96. All good trucks. When I was looking to replace the '96 in 2003, there were no real changes to the Ranger, so I bought the F150 instead. Now, if in 2011 Ford introduces a smaller truck with improved mileage, I will be very interested.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:17 AM
pintoches
Postmaster
Put me down for one as I want a new truck but wont have the money tell then. LOL I too would like a 5speed or maybe even a 6 speed paired with the V8 The turbo V6 could be more fun!

If Ford hits the goal of 28 mpg set for 2015 with the 2011 F100 I will be in line too

Old 05-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Octane
Posting Guru
I held off on buying a F150 Supercrew for a long time because I wanted a 4 door Ranger because I have family and the truck needs to do double-duty. I looked at how Nissan and others offered mid-sized trucks, with 4 doors as an option, longing for the day Ford would offer one.
What about the Explorer Sport-Trac? Its pretty much a crew cab Ranger (although considerably more expensive because its an Explorer, not a Ranger).
Im excited about the F-100. I love my F-150, but I dont really need a fullsize truck and I would appreciate something that is more fuel-efficient. Ive considering trading my F-150 in on a midsize, but Im not too crazy about the thought of going to a Nissan, Chevy/GMC or Toyota.
Hopefully Ford follows through and comes out with this truck.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:20 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Octane
What about the Explorer Sport-Trac? Its pretty much a crew cab Ranger (although considerably more expensive because its an Explorer, not a Ranger).
The part you put in parenthesis is why I didn't consider the Explorer. For the price I could by an F150. Its ironic since the Explorer Sport-Trac is actually built on the Ranger platform and not the current Explorer platform!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:20 AM
ggarrahan
Elder User
FTE Ken- Doesn't the latest Sport Trac have the IRS?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 F100