1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Do I need a locking gas cap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 12:02 AM
mfp4073
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Do I need a locking gas cap?

Have thought about putting a locking fuel door modification on my truck, but does anyone know if there is an anti siphon thing in the fuel filler neck of these trucks?

Old 05-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Elias
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no they dont any1 can do it

Old 05-13-2008, 02:47 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
to steal gas from ranger is not so easy. there is a valve in tank filling neck.

If you have a locking cap anyone may remove filling hose and steal gas with thin hose throught filling neck. using 1/4" hose is a way to drane gas throught anty-siphon. When gas was much cheapper in Russia I filled ranger tank fully and drained a half to cans for my aerostar.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:17 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
It's not easy to get gas from a ranger, but sure it can be done. Gas thiefing will become more of a problem you can bet.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:04 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
yeah, bug gas thiefing is not a problem here, thifs prefere to steal diesel from semis......

Old 05-13-2008, 05:58 AM
racsan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know you can siphion fuel from a ranger, i do every time i need to mow the yard. ive thought about a locking gas cap myself. the full tank of fuel in some vehicles is worth more than the vehicle its in in some situations. it would be funny to have a hidden fuel-fill and have the "stock" fuel fill go to a container of sugar water hidden under the chassis.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:49 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
I installed a locking Motorcraft FC-1005, Part Number XU5Z-9030-HC gas cap, for less than $20 on my Ranger last year & keep a key in the center console.

If it prevents ONE theft, at todays gas prices, it's paid for itself several times over!!!!

Can it prevent any thief, nope, if a thief can break into a bank vault, a locking gas cap won't deter him, but if it can inconvienence one, he'll probably move on to an easier, less time consuming target, to do his dastardly deed!!!!

I like the hidden sugar treated gas tank idea, wouldn't that be a blast to see one of those low life's mess up his fuel system by stealing bad gas!!!!! lol

It may come down to tying a junk yard dog to the truck & only feeding him what he can catch!!!! You know, makes him REAL efficient at catching dinner!!!! lol

Old 05-13-2008, 07:27 AM
sfcwoodret
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get one if you live in the city or immediate rural areas. I wouldn't bother if you live way out in the country as myself.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Elias
Freshman User
no such thing as security in this day and age

It cant be that hard i caught two guys stealing it from my wifes 93Ranger they already had a 5gallon jug filled they stuck a screwdriver in and bent that so called "Security" valve back. Locking gas caps sont help much either there just a detourant. if you poke your head in your wheel well and look towards the gas cap you can see your filler hose, ive heard of ppl cutting those to get around the locking cap, so either way i guess we are all S.O.L when it comes to that

Old 05-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Elias
Freshman User
i agree with the junk yard dog idea, let him bite his *** off and then we'll see if he's dumb enough to come back lol

Old 05-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Bikeitswift
Senior User
One of the news stations here in San Antonio ran a short report showing the increasing number of gas thefts via punctured gas tanks. They just poke a hole in the tank, and catch what they can. they showed a few (this is becoming common), and one poor girl's Honda had a length of rebar left sticking in it. When it gets to $10.00, people will BECOME thieves.

It wouldn't be difficult to fab a hose protector from some exhaust tubing, and possibly a tank "plate" to protect the bottom...

Old 05-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Elias
Freshman User
Puncturing the tank,thats amazing.. it just shows you "there is no such thing as security"

Old 05-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
it would be funny to have a hidden fuel-fill and have the "stock" fuel fill go to a container of sugar water hidden under the chassis.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

There was a real crime team in Lugansk. They had F250 and F350 trucks with hidden tunks under beds, enforsed springs and they used them to deliver diesel illegally. But now prices in Russia and Ukraine do not differ much and they went to west border....

To prevent thiefing from tanks you need to do something not to let thief remove tank filling neck.

In Moscow was found the thief who used to steal trannies from trucks on parkings... Just imagine, you go to you truck in the mornings, start engine and..... NO TRANNY! DS is on ground!!!

Old 05-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
if thiefs can not open tank to steal gas they can drill a hole and steal all they can and spill what they cant steal....

Old 05-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Rock Auto Jessa
Former Vendor
RockAuto carries locking gas caps. Prices start at $8.51 and go upwards to $21.79.

RockAuto Parts Catalog

Thanks
Ashley

Quick Reply: Do I need a locking gas cap?