Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Pulling AWD Fuse 03 Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:18 PM
camper1083
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling AWD Fuse 03 Explorer

I was reading one of the threads about pulling the AWD fuse on a 02 explorer and was wondering if I could do the same on my 03 explorer v8? I looked in my owners manual and there was a PTEC fuse and a PCM fuse as well as some 4x4 fuses. If this does work, which one do I pull to disengage the awd? I have been having some trouble with my awd. as long as I am going straight I am fine, but if I turn even slightly it engages the front wheels. Highly annoying! Help!

Old 05-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, my first question is why would you want to. The AWD system has all 4 wheels engaged simultaneously. It remains engaged all the time whether the system is powered or not. The AWD computer uses a speed sensor on the front and rear axle that allows the computer to look for a speed difference. If a difference of more than a certain amount is found, the AWD system will activate a clutch that locks the front and rear axles together. If the system is engaging when it is not supposed to, it most likely means that one or both speed sensors is faulty. The best solution is to fix the problem by replacing the faulty component. Removing the fuse will prevent the system from going into lockup, but is really intended as a temporary solution.

To answer your question, if you pull the fuse, the AWD computer will be disabled, though you may get a code and a light on the dash. Unplugging the AWD computer will do the same thing except you shouldn't have a code.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:32 PM
camper1083
New User
Good point about it being a temporary fix.

Is the sensor an easy fix or does this require a some work?

Old 05-12-2008, 07:30 PM
beater79
Freshman User
Originally Posted by camper1083
I was reading one of the threads about pulling the AWD fuse on a 02 explorer and was wondering if I could do the same on my 03 explorer v8? I looked in my owners manual and there was a PTEC fuse and a PCM fuse as well as some 4x4 fuses. If this does work, which one do I pull to disengage the awd? I have been having some trouble with my awd. as long as I am going straight I am fine, but if I turn even slightly it engages the front wheels. Highly annoying! Help!
You may want to check your tires. If the front are lower PSI than the rear it would cause the AWD module to think that one tire was slipping because it is turning slower/faster than the others. You will also want to make sure that all 4 wheels tread depth is within 3-5/32 of each other. The circumference of them could cause the same concern. Does the AWD light flash at any time? I am a Ford tech of 5 years and a heavy duty truck and bus technician. I have seen some customers AWD Explorers with teh same issue and checked the tires as I described and found that the tires were causing the concern. Changed tires andthe concern went away. Hope this info helps and good luck!

Old 05-12-2008, 07:40 PM
camper1083
New User
Thanks for the reply. I wish it was just the tires, but I had this problem with two different sets of tires. I really just want someone to tell me which fuse to pull. I have read through multiple threads and everyone says pull the "auto clutch fuse". That fuse may exist, but it is not called that in my explorer handbook. I am not a professional mechanic so please excuse me for not knowing what fuse does what. Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Old 05-12-2008, 07:45 PM
beater79
Freshman User
hey camper1083, send me a pm with all info about your truck and I will check at work tomorrow. We have a Ford dealer only site we use to talk with the engineers and to pull up schematics you wont find in any "aftermarket manual", I will check it out for ya and pm ya back tomorrow night.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:17 PM
beater79
Freshman User
camper1083, I tried to send you a pm tonight but it says you are not accepting pms. pm me if you can with your email so I can give you the info I found for your truck. Thanks.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:01 AM
camper1083
New User
I can't get private messages anymore so can you just post the answer as a reply?

Old 05-16-2008, 02:48 PM
paul1910
New User
beater the door sticker states front and rear tire pressure be 5psi diff between front and rear...........should all tires be same pressure i am having a problem with my o/d light flashing got a code for a stuck off tcc soleniod put the problem showed up after i rotated the tires and corrected the pressure also get an intermintent abs light to come on and i already changed out the rear diff sensor that light came on after the tires rotated and psi adjusted what tires should i be running and at what psi so all the sensors work properlly

Old 05-16-2008, 05:43 PM
beater79
Freshman User
Originally Posted by paul1910
beater the door sticker states front and rear tire pressure be 5psi diff between front and rear...........should all tires be same pressure i am having a problem with my o/d light flashing got a code for a stuck off tcc soleniod put the problem showed up after i rotated the tires and corrected the pressure also get an intermintent abs light to come on and i already changed out the rear diff sensor that light came on after the tires rotated and psi adjusted what tires should i be running and at what psi so all the sensors work properlly

No, the code you have for the tcc valve has nothing to do with your tires. You are experiencing the Explorer trans problem. Mine did the same thing. You have to pull your pan off and find the valve, depending on what model you have, it will be towards the front of the valve body or I believe on the side, I think the pass side of the valve body.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:48 PM
beater79
Freshman User
Originally Posted by camper1083
I can't get private messages anymore so can you just post the answer as a reply?

Sorry took so long to reply back to ya.
What I found is a TSB for the auto transfer case system. It is thinking your front wheels are slipping therefore locking in. If I remember right, it said it is due to a wiring short or shorted wheel speed sensor. As for pulling the fuse, I was told that it would mess up the transmission shift points because it reads off of the input from your wheel speed sensors through the PCM as does the transfercase. I hope this helps you out it fixing it!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:11 PM
paul1910
New User
i have an 03 awd mountaineer so is the tcc right there when i take the pan and filter off according to all-data thats what it looks like in the diagram so if i remove and replace the tcc soleniod it should be good..........im having a mechanic do the diagnostic on thurs to find out exactly what it is it still runs fine shifts fine od seems to go on and off when i hit the switch by the rpms going up and down

Old 05-16-2008, 09:25 PM
beater79
Freshman User
it just means that it is sticking every now and then, the seals in it might be getting worn. I think that if you replace it that it would be fixed.