Computer Chips & Tuners  

'96 F-150 Programmers

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Buckmaster008
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow '96 F-150 Programmers

I have a 1996 F-150 351 5.8 V8, I'm putting bigger tires and different gears on, and was wondering does anyone know if they make a programmer for this model and engine? Any info will be much appreciated.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:01 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Your OBD II so your in pretty good shape, however Hypertech probably will not account for gear/tire changes. You should look at Superchips, Sniper, and SCT. I prefer Sniper after playing with them and Superchips.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Groovy Chick
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Buckmaster008
I have a 1996 F-150 351 5.8 V8, I'm putting bigger tires and different gears on, and was wondering does anyone know if they make a programmer for this model and engine? Any info will be much appreciated.
Hi there,

Just wanted to let you know that Power Hungry Performance has two options for your vehicle: a handheld programmer or a 4-position chip. If you're interested, please take a look at our website.

Blessings,
Corey

Old 05-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Buckmaster008
New User
Thanks, I will.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Maxx_Mugsley
New User
Originally Posted by Groovy Chick
Hi there,

Just wanted to let you know that Power Hungry Performance has two options for your vehicle: a handheld programmer or a 4-position chip. If you're interested, please take a look at our website.

Blessings,
Corey

They make some good stuff.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:35 AM
rossijd
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Buckmaster008

I am wanting to swap gears and go with slightly larger tire on my 2wd,96,302. Bought a Jet Performance Programmer from Summit, but it didn't work. First one would not do anything when plugged into diagnostic port. Called Jet teck support, they were very rude and not very helpfull. So, I called summit and they said they would exchange it. The second one, when plugged in, told me "software needs update". Called Jet again and they told me to take my truck to a dealer and have latest updates downloaded to my PCM. I did. Cost $72. Plugged up programmer, got same error code! I am returning to summit for refund.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:08 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I am not a big fan of Jet either. You have plenty of options, but be aware alot of the offerings for the earily OBD2 will not do all of the features. Hypertech used to miss the VSS, so they didn't allow for tire and gear changes. If the newer versions cover back that far, you have a good chance of being able to program, but if your looking at PP3s I wouldn't expect it. I've had pretty good luck with superchips max-tuners, I would think cortex and flashpaqs would be able to do tire/gear changes as well.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:49 PM
rossijd
Freshman User
Ya, I'm glad summit is working with me, otherwise I'd be out $350 and stuck with somthing I can't use. I called Hypertech and they don't have anything to adjust speedo on anything older than 99. I was concerned about swapping to 4.10 gears. Others on this site have told me that won't affect the speedo, so I really don't need the programmer anyway. I did talk to a tech at FRPP and he said within the next 2-3 months Ford was going to come out with somthing that plugs to the trans wire harness to adjust for tire size changes on the "older" trucks.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:12 PM
baldboyford
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a 96 F150 that was a 5.0 and I swapped in a 351W stroked to 393. Found a local SCT dealer for an SCT Xcal2 to modify the ECM programming to accept the increase in cubic inches and general increase in performance. Not positive about gear changes and tire size changes, but I would think it would be able to do what you need. A Dealer may need to download a custom tune for it instead of being user adjustable.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:56 PM
nflfreak43
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i thought i would ask this on this post so i dont start another thread. but im trying to find a programmer for a 92 F150 with a 5.8L. ive been looking everywhere and it seems like they skip the year. idk. but im fixing to get this truck and i want it to get up and go. it ill anyways but i wanna have the fast truck in the area.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:22 PM
rossijd
Freshman User
Originally Posted by nflfreak43
i thought i would ask this on this post so i dont start another thread. but im trying to find a programmer for a 92 F150 with a 5.8L. ive been looking everywhere and it seems like they skip the year. idk. but im fixing to get this truck and i want it to get up and go. it ill anyways but i wanna have the fast truck in the area.

I don't believe you will find a programmer for that truck. Jet performance advertises that they have one, but I had terrible experience with them. Two programmers and a $100 trip to the ford dealer to have my computer "updated" and still would not work. Thankfully Summit refunded my money(for the programmer). I think a performance shop and a custom burned chip would be a good idea. What is it you want from the programmer? I finally realized I could swap rear end gears with no problems. You can bump up the timing on your own, and I have had good luck with a $40 B&M shift improver to get your trans to shift firmer. Sure you will get better performance from the custom chip, but I think you can get pretty darn close for a lot less money on your own, as long as the motor is stock or close to it. Just my opinion!

Old 01-16-2009, 11:03 AM
baldboyford
Tuned
I agree with rossijd, I don't believe you will find a programmer for your truck. Most, if not all, programmers out there work on OBDII vehicles (1996 and later). However, SCT and other companies sell custom tune chips that plug into your diagnostic port; some even have switch chips that can have multiple tunes on them and you can change your tune by a flip of a switch or turn of a dial. I found the switch chip on SCT's website, check out the following SCT Automotive Performance Products . Hope this helps out.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:28 AM
nflfreak43
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so i should probably go get a custom tuned chip? Well that blows i dont really have the money for that. itll probably be around 400 im guessing. but oh well the truck has 3.55 as the rear gear and id like to keep it that. i might just bump the timing ahead a couple of degrees maybe.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:11 AM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I think MOATES will have a new prom and software to work with the EEC-IV. I bought a new truck before I needed to worry much about the early proms. Read up on this website Ford Adapters : Moates.Net Also sniper say's their software will go back to 1988. I don't know how, because I only have the cable for the OBD2 connector.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:25 AM
baldboyford
Tuned
I forget, does your '92 have speed density or mass air flow for the air intake flow on the EFI system? If it is mass air, I was told by my SCT dealer that the EEC-IV EFI systems (with mass air) are very forgiving about adding engine mods with out the need for a programmer to accomodate the mods to the engine. So you can change the cam, heads, intake, etc... and the EEC-IV should be able to handle it ok. Even with speed density, you can bump the timing without worrying too much about causing computer issues, as you already mentioned doing.

Quick Reply: '96 F-150 Programmers