2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Bigger Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 02:38 AM
threefiftyone
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bigger Tires

Ok, i'm tired of searching. Has anyone dared to put larger tires on their stock-height Expy's? I'm kinda thinking that a 285 would fit just fine. I have 265/70/17's stock. I'm thinking either PJ Dirt Grips, or BFG A/T's. The only thing I don't like about the PJ's is the 2 ply sidewall, but i guess i could live with it. I don't rock crawl with it

Old 05-11-2008, 12:42 PM
nfntruth
Senior User
I fit 33" procomp A/T extreme without the lift. No problems, even on the new rims which had a much larger offset. It was very close in the front, but it cleared with full suspension travel. Your 285s should fit fine. I put the truxxx lift on it a few weeks later, but that was mostly for cosmetics. I say go for the tires. Personally I would do the BFGs if those are your only two choices. I would actually go with the procomps, 40K mile warranty and they look a lot more aggressive, and not too loud on the freeway.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Truckin4life
Street Queen to the extr3m3
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
being a personal owner of the bfg at's dont buy them... they are ok at best on dry roads... and dangerous once the pavement goes dry... Off road there not much better either... Im not speaking from opinion. I speak from personal expierence... the bfg at's are not a good tire and really are over priced...

Old 05-12-2008, 04:09 PM
nfntruth
Senior User
Originally Posted by Truckin4life
being a personal owner of the bfg at's dont buy them... they are ok at best on dry roads... and dangerous once the pavement goes dry... Off road there not much better either... Im not speaking from opinion. I speak from personal expierence... the bfg at's are not a good tire and really are over priced...
Thats interesting. Definitely glad I got the procomps now, I have ever had a problem on pavement, and of course they are great in the dirt and sand. They are probably about the same price as well. If you look at my profile, you can see pics with and without the lift on the procomps. I know I sound like a procomp sales guy or something, but they were the only aggressive looking A/Ts with a warranty. Mickey thompson had some nice tires, but not in the size I wanted.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:28 PM
threefiftyone
Elder User
Wow, that's gotta be maybe the second time (in 13 years or so) i've ever heard of a bad review for BFG A/T's. That's ok though, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I personally love the BFG's. I've owned M/T's and A/T's and never had any bad experiences with either of them. I have experienced the A/T in deep mud, deep snow, ice and slick roads and have been pleased with it's performance. Don't know much about the Pro-comps other than what i read in the pages of Four Wheeler and 4WOR. They seem good, but around here it's BFG's and Toyo's for duty.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:26 PM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
i would look at the nitto terra grapplers, I have around 35K on them and they still have another 10-15K left in them. They are the stock 265/70/17's but when they wear out I will probably be getting the toyo mud terrains, i have heard they are quiet on the road, and have a little more bite off road, especially since I have 2wd. Great on the road and great off road.

I put the truxxx lift on mine as well, not just for looks though. I also put a grille guard on the front and it pulled the front end of the truck down, and everytime I braked it felt like I was going to hit the pavement. Looks and reacts much better now. Only issue I have is not fitting in alot of parking garages, and my wife has to step up to get in.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:28 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I second the nitto's. Heard nothing but good about them. I had procomps, hated them. Bad on wet pavement.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:29 PM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
I like my BFGs. Look awesome covered in mud.

Great tire and I too have only heard a handful of bad reviews. Every tire shop I talk to has nothing but good things to say about them.

-rockstate