Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Bronco > 1966 - 1977 Early Broncos
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1966 - 1977 Early Broncos SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-11-2008, 12:06 AM
Freshman User

stangdano is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Easy way to drain oil in 9 inch rear diff?

Does anyone know of an easy way to drain the rear diff on a 9 inch rear? It doesn't have a drain plug and I'm not much in the mood to pull the axles and split the housing apart. Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:02 AM
Postmaster

RCrawler is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.RCrawler is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
THere is a tool available called a suction gun. Looks like a grease gun without the pump handle. You can stick the hose into the fill hole and suck out the old oil. You will not get all of it by doing it this way, but it will be close enough to make the new oil new.

Jason
Honey badger don't care...
Old 05-11-2008, 03:11 AM
Freshman User

Bush_aholic is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would pull the rear housing either way, I would much rather know I was able to take a glance at the gears and inspect for any unusual wear and have a fresh RTV seal. IMO

I might be missing something here, but you said pull the axles apart, can't you just pull the rear diff cover nothing else?
Old 05-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Postmaster

1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush_aholic View Post
I might be missing something here, but you said pull the axles apart, can't you just pull the rear diff cover nothing else?
Not on a 9" rear. Its a third member where the ring, pinion, carrier, etc all comes out of the housing as an assembly. Its not like a Dana 60 or Dana 44 or most other differentials.

Click - My Super Duty Tech Articles
1975 Baja Bronco Project
1984 Ranger 4x4 R.I.P Nov 2007
Old 05-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Freshman User

Bush_aholic is starting off with a positive reputation.
That's good to know, I can see why he wouldn't want to take it apart just for an oil change.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Freshman User

stangdano is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for all of the feedback, everyone!
I tried using a suction gun but didn't have any luck. There's really no clearance between the ring gear and the side of the housing to get the tube down to the bottom of the diff. I also tried using the old siphon method, but that seemed like it would take way too long, not to mention it didn't taste so good.
So I came up with an interesting way to get most of the oil out easily. I have the truck up on jack stands and I noticed that if I spin the driveshaft, a little oil was coming out. So I started it up and put it in reverse and let the truck idle the oil out. Probably not the best way, but without being able to get the suction gun in there and not feeling like getting another mouthful of oil, it seemed like a decent idea.
The only possible bad side is that I'm not sure that I got all of the oil out, but I'll try to siphon it again and see if any more comes out.
Again, thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Senior User

dodmort is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well
i was told how foolish i was for doing this but..
i drilled a very small hole in the back bottom curve of the housing and put in a very small screw with a washer and put a little sealant on it.
in 1986
so far i have had not a problem one...
reason is that it gets submerged in water 55-60 times a year and i like to change fluid....a lot..

Guns, Guns, Guns......."Clarence Boddicker" Robocop circa 1987
Old 06-11-2008, 01:51 AM
Senior User

Fordteamone is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have had good luck on two different 9" with drilling and tapping a 1/8" pipe plug.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:58 AM
Junior User

Pedestrian is starting off with a positive reputation.
I drilled and tapped my 9 and have had no problems
Old 09-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Elder User

Boba Fett is starting off with a positive reputation.
"THere is a tool available called a suction gun. Looks like a grease gun without the pump handle. You can stick the hose into the fill hole and suck out the old oil. You will not get all of it by doing it this way, but it will be close enough to make the new oil new."

The Rcrawler

This is how you do that!
Old 09-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Junior User

play400 is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Suction gun sucks when it comes to gear oil. Biggest POS I have ever used. Had a 5ver of Red Tacky which I used in the diffs and t-case and it was a pain to fill the gun.

I would drill a hole on the side and either weld on a bung with a plug or use a self tapping oil pan plug with 1 of those washers that have a rubber seal. After all you'll probably have to drain it again.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:29 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Bronco > 1966 - 1977 Early Broncos

Tags
150, 2004, 9, axle, change, differential, drain, draining, fill, ford, inch, oil, oin, pulling, rear