Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

wheel bearing replacement?ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 04:13 PM
rupejosh
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wheel bearing replacement?ball joints?

i have a 94 idi turbo and i have a noise coming fromn the front end i think it is a wheel bearing because when i put it into 4wd it sqeaks and squalls.and in 2wd when im driving it sounds like something is clacking when i stick my head out the window when im driving slow.any ideas before i just tear it apart and start looking?i havent done a wheel bearing on one of these trucks before has anyone done one on one before?are they a pain?any feedback would be awesome

Old 05-18-2008, 04:25 PM
George D.
Posting Guru
jack it up and grab the top and botom of the tire and shake it if theres play look and see if its in the knucle or the hud. If its the nuckle you need ball joints the hub you need wheel bearings.wheel bearings are easy never done ball joints.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:43 PM
rupejosh
Cargo Master
the steering is sloppy as well is that an indication of something as well?

Old 05-18-2008, 04:48 PM
George D.
Posting Guru
That could be bad tie rods as well.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:59 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And also check the ball joint at the steering arm on the steering box.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:01 PM
rupejosh
Cargo Master
you mean on the pitman arm?

Old 05-18-2008, 05:04 PM
George D.
Posting Guru
Yes thats what he means.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:03 AM
muddin07
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had one go out on me, i was stupid enough to try and say it was fine, but i started to feel the brake drag. after a wile i noticed that my alluminum rim started to turn black, i gave in and went to the parts store and got the new bearings ( only like $40 for the pair). when i started to tear things apart i found that my procrastination could have cost me alot more money, the weight of my pickup had ben sitting on the bottom of my rim cousing it to shave the metal of the rim as it when around. it completly destroyed my locking hub, and started to eat away at the axle stub. i had to replace the rotor too from it wearing unevenly.

To make a long story short try not to procrastinate if you thing its a wheel bearing

Old 05-19-2008, 08:44 AM
bleedin blue
Freshman User
park the front wheels on a solid surface have someone step on the brakes and turn the streering wheel back and forth as you look underneath for excessive play from the ball joints.holding the brakes on torques up the front end.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Check also the universal joints in the axle.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:40 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
That sounds allot like u-joints. Check the needle bearing for the stub shaft also.

Wheel bearing on this truck is like any other vehicle. The hub nuts could a couple of different ones so the socket you will need it hard to say for sure.

Pack them good and when you adjust them don't get them to tight. A tight wheel bearing will scatter fast. When you put them on tighten the adjust nut down pretty tight. Don't turn the hub while you are doing this. Back the nut off till it gets loose then tighten it till it touches the outer bearing. Turn the hub and see how it feels. You want it to spin pretty free. When you put the wheel back on push and pull on the top of the tire. You don't want to feel any movement but you want it to spin free.

The reason you tighten the adjust nut down tight at first is to make sure the hub is seated on the spindle all the way.

After it is all said and done drive her around some. Check the hub, it shouldn't feel very warm. Test drive around where you don't have to hammer on the brakes much so you don't get that heat.

Also when you check the hub for play, make sure your calipers are in. You don't want the brake pads holding your hub for you while you do this.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:27 PM
rupejosh
Cargo Master
i know im gonna sound like an idiot but what is the needle bearing on the stub shaft.my knowledge of suspension stuff isnt too extensive.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:06 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rupejosh
i know im gonna sound like an idiot but what is the needle bearing on the stub shaft.my knowledge of suspension stuff isnt too extensive.
The stub shaft, as I call it, is the short part of the drive shaft from the u-joint to each lock out hub. Inside the spindle there is a needle bearing that supports that shaft. You get to it by unbolting the spindle from the caliper support frame that is fastened to the ball joints. There is like 5 or 6 nuts that hold it on to the studs. You will see all that when you take the hub off.

I wouldn't say you are an idiot for asking a question like that.

Other things determine that.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:31 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only dumb question is one that is not asked, we're here to help so don't be shy.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:31 AM
George D.
Posting Guru
Is it a 250 or 350? I can get the tool number off the one i got for mine if its a 350

Quick Reply: wheel bearing replacement?ball joints?