Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Elder User

azfordf100man is starting off with a positive reputation.
Actually, there is stuff on bitog showing that filters actually filter better with more mileage. Me personally, I do it with every oil change because of the peace of mind.

I think one of the big reasons oil breaks down is because the active additive (TBN) gets depleted, the oils ability to control wear becomes shot and the viscosity drops. Just my opinion, not positive on this.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:53 AM
MMNC (SS)

Tylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputation
the quality of the oil reduces because of 2 things. heat and particulates. heat causes the oil to break down on a molecular level...and of course crap in the oil just speeds things up.

you should see the stuff we do in the Navy to keep oil good. I was on my ship for 5 years, and we were still running oil in some stuff that was there before I showed up. alot of that machinery ran for 10 months at a time without a pause

keep the temps right and properly clean/filter the oil, and it will last indefinetely. it's harder for gas engines though because of the various ways crap can get into the oil (piston leak-by, valve covers, condensation)
Old 05-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Posting Guru

slc10844 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalErrorz View Post
Nope, my oil looked brand-spanking new, minus the odor from running about 50% E85 for 5000 miles. Supposed to be able to go 7500 miles between oil changes in the 08's...That's out of the manual, and there isn't a different schedule for E85 either...
My manual says to run either E85 or gas and not to delute one with the other. It also has a different oci if you use E85. Maybe they use a different manual depending on the build date.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Senior User

FatalErrorz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slc10844 View Post
My manual says to run either E85 or gas and not to delute one with the other. It also has a different oci if you use E85. Maybe they use a different manual depending on the build date.
Must be a build issue. Mine says I can run any combination or mixture of E85, and/or Gas. There's a probe in the tank that measures the amount of alcohol, and the fuel pump adjusts accordingly.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slc10844 View Post
The manual does say if running the E85, "it's recommended to use a different maintenance schedule", but it doesn't say which one to use!! I've looked everywhere, and it doesn't say. I know that at 5000 miles, my oil still looked and felt brand new, but had an odor to it, that I'll assume was from the E85.

It also says it's "RECOMMENDED"....I guess I'd use a severe duty one if I was ******* my truck, or idling for hours in the summer...

It does say I can run the E85 in any combo, but that it "RECOMMENDS" running a regular tank of gas every 3000 miles...
Old 05-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Posting Guru

baitmaster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Having the CAI on mine helped a bit too, that stock air intake sure takes up a lot of space. Now I can see the engine.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylus View Post
you got lucky. It took me almost 2 hours to get that POS off my truck. I did my first oil change at about 1k miles. I would have gladly paid somebody $30.

oh well, how bad was the oil at 5K?

my oil was pitch black and nasty at 1K. 21K right now and it comes out just slightly darker than it went in at every oil change...about 3K between changes
haha...I just changed my neighbors (for $20.00 and a 12pk of Bud Light) and someone at Ford needs to get laid. That filter was on tighter than any exhaust bolt I've ever broken loose. I almost called it quits so I didn't screw his truck up, and then it came loose. Had to buy an OEM filter wrench because of the way it's positioned, and used my Motorcraft wrench to put it back on. The OEM wrench looks the same, but is made of metal, and like a 15-sided socket vs the 75 point Motorcraft one.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:05 PM
New User

jfabombs is starting off with a positive reputation.
It is good to change oil filter

The blood in your body. Water in the desert. And oil in an engine. They're all vital. Without them, someone or something is going to die! Oil is an essential lubricant in your engine. It lets metal press against metal without damage. Let's say that your engine has plenty of oil, but you never change it. The two things will definitely happen: Dirt will accumulate in the oil. The filter will remove the dirt for a while, but eventually the filter will clog and the dirty oil will automatically bypass the filter through a relief valve. Dirty oil is thick and abrasive, so it causes more wear. Additives in the oil like detergents, dispersants, rust-fighters and friction reducers will wear out, so the oil won't lubricate as well as it should.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Posting Guru

mattd17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfabombs View Post
. It lets metal press against metal without damage. .
actually, the oil will not let metal press against metal... it creates a thin film barrier so they in fact dont rub. thats why the oil needs to be clean, otherwise dirty oil would have the same affect as metal on metal, just not as fast. that is why one of the worst things we can do to our engines is start them, since there is no oil covering the parts at that point....

and as tylus pointed out, in the military we run things for months on end, due to proper operting conditions. in the Coast Guard, we have pre-lube pumps on most all of our larger machinery to provide the adequate lubrication to prevent the metal on metal during startup. we also use Spinner systems which work amazing. its incredible how much carbon can be removed from the oil, to extend its life.

if our passenger vehicles had this equipment installed, then im sure they would go MUCH longer on each oil change.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfabombs View Post
The blood in your body. Water in the desert. And oil in an engine. They're all vital. Without them, someone or something is going to die! Oil is an essential lubricant in your engine. It lets metal press against metal without damage. Let's say that your engine has plenty of oil, but you never change it. The two things will definitely happen: Dirt will accumulate in the oil. The filter will remove the dirt for a while, but eventually the filter will clog and the dirty oil will automatically bypass the filter through a relief valve. Dirty oil is thick and abrasive, so it causes more wear. Additives in the oil like detergents, dispersants, rust-fighters and friction reducers will wear out, so the oil won't lubricate as well as it should.
Where did that come from?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd17 View Post
actually, the oil will not let metal press against metal... it creates a thin film barrier so they in fact dont rub. thats why the oil needs to be clean, otherwise dirty oil would have the same affect as metal on metal, just not as fast. that is why one of the worst things we can do to our engines is start them, since there is no oil covering the parts at that point....

and as tylus pointed out, in the military we run things for months on end, due to proper operting conditions. in the Coast Guard, we have pre-lube pumps on most all of our larger machinery to provide the adequate lubrication to prevent the metal on metal during startup. we also use Spinner systems which work amazing. its incredible how much carbon can be removed from the oil, to extend its life.

if our passenger vehicles had this equipment installed, then im sure they would go MUCH longer on each oil change.
The Army uses the AOAP. (Army Oil Analysis Program) You take a sample, send it to the lab (like a urinalysis for trucks and tanks) and the results come back "normal", "change oil and filters", or even "replace engine", xmsn, or xfer if they detect certain metals in them. Most equipment is enrolled, and I've seen trucks with oil as black as coal come back "normal"...I've also seen turbine engines with less than 50hrs on them come back "replace engine" even when the smelly turboshaft oil looks fine.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Post Fiend

Ryan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to beholdRyan50hrl is a splendid one to behold
Oil changes at 3000 miles is a scam these days.....go send in your oil for analysis (there are companies that do this for you) and you'll see you can easily go 5000 miles or more on semi syn oils. Engines are built much better with better tolerances today and this allows the oils to go far longer than they used to....me personally...motorcraft semi-syn every 5000 miles

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/97...round-7-a.html
Old 05-13-2008, 07:32 PM
New User

jfabombs is starting off with a positive reputation.
Oil changes at 3000 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl View Post
Oil changes at 3000 miles is a scam these days.....go send in your oil for analysis (there are companies that do this for you) and you'll see you can easily go 5000 miles or more on semi syn oils. Engines are built much better with better tolerances today and this allows the oils to go far longer than they used to....me personally...motorcraft semi-syn every 5000 miles
Right thats the way i used to be to change oil every 3000 miles, and thanks to others for additional info.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:32 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150

Tags
2004, 2008, f150, filter, ford, location, oil