1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

wipper problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:42 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
wipper problem

I just got the windshield installed and put the wippers on,The wippers only move about 1/2 of what they should.If I start with the wipper down buy the windshield gasket,when turned on they go about to the middle of my view.If I start 1/4 of the way up they go to the 3/4 mark of travel.I replaced the stock motor with a aftermarket bus wipper motor and arm.If the arm is to short off the motor would this cause the problem and if I make the motor arm was made longer would this increase the throw at the wipper pivots?

Old 05-08-2008, 11:10 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DR Smith
I just got the windshield installed and put the wippers on,The wippers only move about 1/2 of what they should.If I start with the wipper down buy the windshield gasket,when turned on they go about to the middle of my view.If I start 1/4 of the way up they go to the 3/4 mark of travel.I replaced the stock motor with a aftermarket bus wipper motor and arm.If the arm is to short off the motor would this cause the problem and if I make the motor arm was made longer would this increase the throw at the wipper pivots?
Hey Doc,
I think you hit the nail on the head. If you have the arm off the old motor you might try it. Maybe you could post some pictures of the old wiper motor and the replacement you used. If you have the means to do it, you might want to make a longer arm or modify the one you have. I'm not familiar with what you are working on so I don't know if the arm on your motor rotates continueously in one direction or if it oscillates back and fourth like the old vacuum motors. Either way I think changing arm length is a step in the right direction. I haven't had a chance to tear into my 53 yet so I really have no idea what the set up is. If you tell us what truck you are working on I am sure there are guys on here that can help you with this problem.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:15 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
wippers

the truck is a54 panel with optional electric wippers.when I first put in the wipper assembly the motor worked fine and I threw the old stuff out so I do not have the old arm.The motor workes in a continus revolution.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:01 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DR Smith
the truck is a54 panel with optional electric wippers.when I first put in the wipper assembly the motor worked fine and I threw the old stuff out so I do not have the old arm.The motor workes in a continus revolution.
OK, it sounds to me like you need a longer arm that rotates in a circle twice the diamenter that you have now. You may be forced to find the right arm in a bone yard or from somebody selling axtra parts if you can't make what you need.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Is your aftermarket wiper motor from Newport Engineering? I had to adjust mine to go all the way across the windshield. I think there should be adjustment instructions on a separate piece of paper. If you don't have one they will send you one.

Later Juls!

Old 05-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Bob at warsaw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Group
Anyone have a motor for a 57? Anyone no where to
buy a after market one?
Thanks