Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Senior User

Stone Mathews is starting off with a positive reputation.
What size floor jack?

So I wheel my floor jack beneath my new-to-me 1999 stock F-250 4X4 5.4L last night and for the first time since I've had this floor jack I realize just how tiny it is.....

Then again, this truck makes most things look tiny, like my garage for instance.

Anyway, can I get a recomendation on what size floor jack I'll need for this monster?

Thanks,

Stone
Old 05-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Senior User

SBastow is starting off with a positive reputation.
I use a 3 ton jack/stands works great.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Junior User

Remmy is starting off with a positive reputation.
6,000 lb. should be plenty. Just used one to install the readylift on my v10.

2007 Yukon Denali, 6.2 Liter, 6-Speed Auto, Stock
Old 05-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Freshman User

wickerad is starting off with a positive reputation.
3 ton. I have the Craftsman combo that works great. Use it for the 7.3L and the mustang. The creeper is always good to have also. $129

Craftsman 3 ton Floor Jack, Jack Stands and Creeper Set - Model 50188 at Sears.com
Old 05-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Junior User

MPHorvat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just Encounterd Floor Jack Death

Literally 2 weekends ago I was doing a tire rotation. I removed the spare, jacked up front left, swapped there, moved to rear right, swapped there, moved on to front right and began to lift, felt like the jack was struggling a bit, then heard and saw it pee'ing jack fluid all over my driveway - my 18-year-old Harbor Freight 2-1/4 Ton Floor Jack just bought the proverbial farm.

My suggestion: get one that's rated for more than 4500 pounds. Of course, one could spend considerable coin for a floor jack, several hundreds of dollars for fancy, lightweigh aluminum ones that won't lift the weight of a 3/4-ton truck w/ a big 'ole diesel engine in it. Personally, I may forego the floor jack route and return to strictly bottle jack use.

While we're (sortuv) on the topic, where does one place a jack (floor, bottle, whatever) to lift so that one can then place a proper jackstand in the proper position for it? I've encountered this on BMWs: the jackpad lift points are for both lifting and supporting, so if the position is being used to lift, you can't place the jackstand there. Instead, one must find an alternate position to lift, leaving the proper jackstand place avaialble for the stand.

Mark
Old 05-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Elder User

WildWildWest has a great reputation on FTE.WildWildWest has a great reputation on FTE.WildWildWest has a great reputation on FTE.WildWildWest has a great reputation on FTE.WildWildWest has a great reputation on FTE.
I have the Michelin 3 1/2 Ton floor jack and it works great. My wife gave it to me for Christmas a year and a half ago. I think she got it at Canadian Tire but in the States I think they are available at Sam's Club.

Very heavy duty jack - weighs a ton but works great. Two piece long handle. I think they are worth about $130Cdn - probably cheaper in the states. Good quality jack for the money in my opinion - perfect for the garage mechanic with a 3/4 ton truck!!

Canadian Tire
2011 F350 Lariat Ultimate FX4 6.7L PS, H&S MiniMaxx Race Tuner, 4" FloPro Dual Exhaust w/23" Muffler, S&B Intake, H&S EGR Delete, Titan 50 Gal. Fuel Tank, Firestone Air Bags w/AirLift WirelessAIR. Over 100,000 miles!!
2013 CrossRoads Cruiser Patriot CF345RF
2010 Lincoln MKX Limited (Wife's)
Old 05-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Elder User

elee3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.elee3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have a 3 1/2 ton floor jack from Sam's. I think it is like $70. Works great.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Posting Guru

mudmaker has a very good reputation on FTE.mudmaker has a very good reputation on FTE.mudmaker has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPHorvat View Post
Literally 2 weekends ago I was doing a tire rotation. I removed the spare, jacked up front left, swapped there, moved to rear right, swapped there, moved on to front right and began to lift, felt like the jack was struggling a bit, then heard and saw it pee'ing jack fluid all over my driveway - my 18-year-old Harbor Freight 2-1/4 Ton Floor Jack just bought the proverbial farm.

Thats too bad about the floor jack, I use the same one and, knock on wood, it works good still. Mine is at least 16yrs old, so maybe I still have two years left LOL!!

2002 Excursion Limited 4X4, PSD, 6637, CCV, Gauges, 4" MBRP, John Woods Valve Body, DP Tuner
2001 F250 4x4 PSD, SUPERCAB, ARE UTILITY TOPPER
Old 05-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Posting Guru

thedaddycat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
OK guys, floor jacks are great IF you have a nice hard flat concrete floor to use them on. I have a crushed stone driveway and the jack will not roll like it's designed to when lifting very much in height. I use 4 ton and 6 ton bottle jacks and four 3 ton jack stands to get all four wheels up and solidly supported. I set the jacks under the axles and the stands as far out towards the wheels as I can. I raise the stands up a notch as soon as I have the clearance to do so, just in case the jack should slip. Even when working on the car I will use the bottle jack as soon as I can. I have a couple of scissor jacks that are good for low clearance situations and straight vertical lifting, but I prefer the bottle jacks just for brute strength.
TAG, Power Elbow, Blisteins, gages, MBRP 4" Turbo-back
XCal2 by SDT, HFCM drain, Centrimatic balancers
ESP luber, Oilguard bypass filter
Old 05-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Postmaster

V10man is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I bought the 3.5 Ton jack from Sams a couple years ago. It's the one with the quick lift. After rotating the tires on my F350 is no longer quick lifted. Now it leaks and only goes 1/2 way up. It should have been able to lift the whole truck but it struggled just lifting one corner.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:09 PM
Post Fiend

biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.
Arrow

My wife got me for Christmas a 3-ton Central Hydraulics floor jack from Harbor Freight. She also got me a set of 6-ton Central Machinery jack stands.

Lots of lifting and holding power now!

biz

2012 FORD F250 SD CC 156" Lariat FX4 6.2L BOSS 4x4 4.30s
2003 F250 SD SC 142" XLT FX4 V10 Auto 4x4 3.73s -- Traded
1976 F150 LWB Custom 4x4 390FE NP435 3.50s
Old 05-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Disgruntled Texan

texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
I use a 6 ton bottle jack and 6 ton jack stands from Tractor Supply. I had to get the 6 ton stands, the three's just looked whipmy, and if my head is going to be a foot from it under a diesel engine....... yeah, I'm going bigger than necessary. I went with the bottle jack because it's small enough to carry around in my toolbox and it beats the heck out of the stock screw jack.

Nancy, you been going to that healer for twelve years, and you still get headaches every night.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:12 PM
Elder User

jlmotox is starting off with a positive reputation.
sorry to drag up an old post but I am getting ready to do a suspension lift on my truck and was curious as to where would the safest place to put the jack stands on the frame to drop the front axle? then where in the rear is the safest? I have the harbor freight 6ton stands and the 3ton jack which so far have been great but I am now worried the stands won't be tall enough...
4" Mbrp turbo back exhaust,Muffler delete, Airaid intake, ARP studs, blue spring mod, SCT X4 tuner, Gearhead tunes, Warn 12,000lb winch w/hide a winch bumper, custom light bar with 4 - 8" lights, 37" Toyo M/T tires, 8" lift, Pioneer Navigation w/ XM, reverse camera, 10" Kicker sub, 15% tint, reverse lights (aka A-hole lights), Firestone air bags, Truxedo bed cover
Old 03-26-2009, 02:09 AM
Senior User

Roadfind is starting off with a positive reputation.
lifting

I use a 6 ton air jack , so much easier than pumping 2tons into the air, besides I can press a button with one hand while sipping a barley pop with the other
Old 03-26-2009, 07:35 AM
Postmaster

juneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmotox View Post
sorry to drag up an old post but I am getting ready to do a suspension lift on my truck and was curious as to where would the safest place to put the jack stands on the frame to drop the front axle? then where in the rear is the safest? I have the harbor freight 6ton stands and the 3ton jack which so far have been great but I am now worried the stands won't be tall enough...
I haven't done it on my truck and I have not seen the underside of an '05-up, but my past experience with other vehicles tells me that you need to find a flat spot on the frame behind the control arm mounts. Again, I'm not sure if this helps because I've never seen the newer setup.

Quote:
You haven't lived life until you've done 110mph in a Yugo
Old 03-26-2009, 07:35 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
central, excursion, f150, f250, floor, ford, hydraulics, jack, lift, machinery, service, size, stands, tall, ton, truck