Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

moving to knoxville! input please

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:38 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
moving to knoxville! input please

please oh please can someone point out a nice place in or around the knoxville area to live with commuting to ut in mind.

we been up there and only really gotten to look at the west end, from ut out to farragut, and the center around ut.

my wife and i are going to be attending ut so commuting distance to there is a concern, but do not mind a bit of a commute if it gets me a nice place to rent, best bang for the buck.

we are looking at apartments, out west they are pretty high priced, there are some that are reasonable but that kind of makes me wonder what sorts of people they attract then, there are reasons people pay higher prices.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Nighthawk53
Freshman User
Ok, There's the UT married students apts. on sutherland ave. then there's some UT apts. off Sevier ave. in S. Knoxville. If not those then you have some apts. on Ft.sanders hill,Close to campus but very little parking. If you want an apt away from campus then you can try deep South Knox. The area just accross the river is a rough area. Or N.E. out past West Haven. (Western Ave.) The apts. out West are pricey, but there are some that are not. just be careful account most are inhabited by the illegals. Stay out of E.Knoxville altogether.
This is about the best I can do for you. I haven't actually lived in K-Town for a while but most of my family is there. Good Luck in your search.

Bill

Old 05-06-2008, 11:55 PM
BIG R
Senior User
If you don't mind a 15 minute or so commute, I would suggest the maryville or alcoa area. Uasally rent is a little cheaper here than some of the nicer parts of Knoxville. If you choose alcoa make sure it is not in the hall community( lots of drug problems).I live in Louisville, it is about 15 minutes from UT. You will pass louisville on your way to maryville and alcoa. I actaully work for a company that has me servicing fountain equipment for UT sports most of the year. We chose louisville to live for the easy commute to UT. If you mapquest Alcoa Hwy south of Knoxville you will find lousville. I myself would not want to live anywhere around campus. Just not the safest place to live in my opoinion. On campus somewhere might not be to bad. Good luck. If I can help in any other way jus let me know.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:26 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
i do not want to live on campus or anywhere around that central area.

we are going to check out the surrounding communities for sure. any specific apartment suggestions or anything? or at least known ones to stay away from?

how is the traffic going from the surrounding communities to knoxville? i guess 15 minutes is pretty darn good.

the cheapest 2 bedroom was in the $700 range, there were cheaper but i am leery of living in the cheapest area of town, tends to attrct the not so good folks.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:27 AM
jefftb
Senior User
Travel time depends greatly on time of day. I attended UT, my wife's family lives there and I travel in and around Knoxville and surrounding areas numerous times a week-generally 2-3 days on average. I have projects in Pigeon Forge, LaFollette, Townsend, etc. etc....

Knoxville traffic is now notorious. I can guarantee on nearly any weekday afternoon that travel in bound from West to downtown will begin to slow to a crawl beginning around 3:00. In fact I have witnessed worse in bound traffic from West to downtown at that time than 5:00 rush hour traffic outbound.

In my opinion, if you are new to the area and until you became will versed in all of the backroads available to travel from west to east and vice versa, I would stay away from West Knoxville. There are nice places to stay (that are close to everything you could want) out there that are not too bad-but traffic would be bad and you are paying for the convenience at a higher price.

Right now and for several months (18 or so) I40 through from James White Parkway on is closed and everything going beyond that will be routed around on 640. Just a heads up on that one because I know that the Strawberry Plains area is getting some new development work going in and some of it is apartments.

The Maryville/Alcoa/Louisville area is a pretty good choice overall-there are some not so great spots just like any town or city. The only issue is that there is really just the one artery between UT and that area. Its been unaffectionately called the Maryville/Alcoa "death" highway. Lots of traffic, lots of speed, lots of congestion, no traffic lights to control flow. The speed limit on that stretch of the Alcoa motor mile (car dealer strip) is 45 but I almost never see anyone traveling less than 55. You might be able to find a pretty decent home rental in the Friendsville area-not too far from Louisville. The Maryville area as a whole has a lot going for it, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. and you are just a short drive on the 140 connector to West Knoxville. Plus its quite close to the backside of the National Park-a nice feel to the area. If I were moving back it'd be my first choice.

Finally, did you check out Knoxville Apartment Guide - Find Apartments in Knoxville, TN Searchable by area.....

Last edited by jefftb; 05-09-2008 at 03:31 AM. Reason: grammar