New Hampshire Chapter Join Chapter Leader: 7283-F250

gas $$$$$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:17 PM
FordPickMeUp
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gas $$$$$$$$$

On the news tonight they said gas will be up to $4.00 a gallon for gas by the summer ugh.What do you think the reason is for the gas prices to be going up so high so fast?some say its the war others say its bush what do you think it is?.And do you think we can do anything about it?

Old 04-20-2008, 05:12 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,098 Likes on 4,183 Posts
No simple answer...corporate greed has to rank high on the list. In the not too distant future we will fondly remember the day when gas was only $3.50 a gallon. I read in this mornings paper that the president of Iran thinks $115 for a barrel of crude is not high enough. There is not a whole lot you can do about it...take small steps to conserve your energy use...people talking about boycotting gas stations...strikes...etc. does absolutely no good. People need gas/diesel to get to work...shop...work...they have us over a barrel...no pun intended...and they are driving it home!!!

Old 04-20-2008, 05:39 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by BIGKEN
No simple answer...corporate greed has to rank high on the list. In the not too distant future we will fondly remember the day when gas was only $3.50 a gallon. I read in this mornings paper that the president of Iran thinks $115 for a barrel of crude is not high enough. There is not a whole lot you can do about it...take small steps to conserve your energy use...people talking about boycotting gas stations...strikes...etc. does absolutely no good. People need gas/diesel to get to work...shop...work...they have us over a barrel...no pun intended...and they are driving it home!!!

BIGKEN if people stay home and do not go on vactions this summer and not use there boats and stuff like that will hurt the oil companys pockets...

Old 04-21-2008, 12:18 AM
FordPickMeUp
Elder User
Originally Posted by sglaine
BIGKEN if people stay home and do not go on vactions this summer and not use there boats and stuff like that will hurt the oil companys pockets...

I agree with you on this but for some reason no one ever does it..

Old 04-21-2008, 07:14 AM
BIGKEN
Originally Posted by sglaine
It won't happen...we have proven that we are not willing to make the changes necessary to impact the oil companys. I believe there was a truckers slow down/strike recently...and what happened to prices at the pump??? In Western Massachusetts they went up about 40 cents!!! Lot of good the slow down/strike did!!! Folks I know are already doing what you suggested...just to be able to make ends meet...especially in terms of heating their homes.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:35 PM
7283-F250
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And I help the oil companies because I fill up every day just for work.

About 100 miles just today for work. And thats not counting the 60ish miles to and from work. But I got the Focus back on the road so I kinda cheated today with 30mpg. Thats up from the 18mpg I get with the trucks.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:44 AM
sglaine
Posting Legend
It won't happen...we have proven that we are not willing to make the changes necessary to impact the oil companys. I believe there was a truckers slow down/strike recently...and what happened to prices at the pump??? In Western Massachusetts they went up about 40 cents!!! Lot of good the slow down/strike did!!! Folks I know are already doing what you suggested...just to be able to make ends meet...especially in terms of heating their homes.

If you take the attitude that it wont work and not do anything about it..Then it wont work...The problem today is that people are simple minded and will not stand up for what they should believe in and help others......

You must be possitive and kick some butt and write to your State Rep and let him have an ear full..If you sit on your arsse and then nothing will be done.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:12 AM
c4barnes
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright - I've been avoiding this one because I'm gonna hurl up a rant, but here goes.

There's nothing to do but stop driving so damn much. No writing to your congressman, no grousing about the oil companies will get anywhere. The prices are way up because of a confluence of factors, not just because oil company greed. On the supply side, oil refiners don't want to add much needed refining capacity because of a burgeoning movement to use less gas that makes the billions of dollars needed for expansion an unwise investment. Not that they can’t afford a loss, but I digress… Then there's crude supply. Unrest in places like Nigeria, where rebels have sabatoged a big Shell pipeline, have reduced output. The oil glut in Iraq hasn't materialized because our brain trust did no planning past Shrub's carrier landing, and they're still nowhere near prewar capacity output iirc. On the domestic front, the dollar is falling dramatically, making it so $1 buys less imported oil than it used to.

Then there’s the demand problem. Places like China and India, which have bigger populations than the U.S., are demanding way more oil than before because they are undergoing huge industrial expansion. We're doubly screwed, because we for years have planned our lives around the car. I'm amazed to see how few suburbs outside NE even have sidewalks next to streets with 6 lanes. Clearly, the population there is dense enough to support a sidewalk if there is a 6 lane boulevard! Mass transit in most places in the US is a joke. I tried to get around Denver on the bus once, and times were 2-4x drive times. People think nothing of driving 8-10 miles for shopping or 40 miles to work and have purchased homes in neighborhoods developed accordingly. None of these exurbs would have been developed on $3 gas. We invested no $ in infrastructure when we had the cash in the 90’s, and now not driving is impossible for many, yet they have no alternative. This dependence reads like a history of the Opium trade in China, for crying out loud.

So, unfortunately, there isn't much congress can do about the prices immediately. Obviously, people who use cars for a living have an extra problem. Slow downs or those "don't buy gas on 4/25" emails don't do a damn thing because people just buy the gas on the 26th. It has to be sustained change. Congress needs to fund public transportation and not the you-know-what in you-know-where. People need to cut daily consumption down. 7283 cut his maybe by 1/3 using the Focus. Imagine if everyone did that! Easier said than done, I know, but that's what has to happen. Rant is truncated here, but there’s more upon provocation…

Old 04-22-2008, 11:39 AM
BIGKEN
Courtie...come on you woose...say what you really mean...stop sugar coating it...be a man about it!!!

Is that enough provocation???

Old 04-22-2008, 11:44 AM
c4barnes
Elder User
Is that enough provocation???
Ever seen a Tourette's victim on mushrooms?

Old 04-26-2008, 05:50 PM
77f2504by4
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C4,

you put my thoughts so eloquently on the page, if i wrote my gas price rant, it would have had the same general point, but more four letter words lol.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:51 PM
c4barnes
Elder User
Originally Posted by 77f2504by4
C4,

you put my thoughts so eloquently on the page, if i wrote my gas price rant, it would have had the same general point, but more four letter words lol.
It took a while to weed them all out, let me tell you! "For crying out loud" wasn't something that came naturally...

Old 04-28-2008, 07:31 AM
tattoo_skullhead
Freshman User
and why is our dollar not worth as much? because everything at walmart is made in china...so when the average joe gets his refund check to"kickstart the economy" we will in fact kickstart chinas economy

Old 04-28-2008, 08:25 AM
c4barnes
Elder User
Originally Posted by tattoo_skullhead
and why is our dollar not worth as much? because everything at walmart is made in china...so when the average joe gets his refund check to"kickstart the economy" we will in fact kickstart chinas economy
ABC News: Why is the Dollar Losing Value?

Old 04-28-2008, 09:36 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by tattoo_skullhead

I hate Wal-Mart...The last time I was there I got tossed out of there store for life...I went into the changing room and few minutes later I screamed that there was no TP in there....LMAO

Basterds had no sense of humor...

I say that everyone should boycott them

Quick Reply: gas $$$$$$$$$