Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southwest Region > Oklahoma Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Gary Lewis

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Postmaster

cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.
Question What Do You Use for Tornado & Severe Weather Notifications

Well, we've lived in OK for about 10 years now and I'm just now looking into a weather radio or similar type service or device. We usually just pay attention to the TV weather reports and I'll stay up until the storms pass. I work the swing shift so I'm finding it hard to stay awake for hours on end as the storm rolls through. I've looked into the Franks Weather Call service from our local Tulsa TV station. It's only $6 a year. But I've read that the first few times it was used that their server couldn't handle the load quick enough and calls went out a few minutes late. I'm very tempted to get a weather radio so that we can have it by the bed and if the NOAA issues a Tornado warning then the radio should come on by itself and visually and audibly alert us. I don't know anyone who's used a weather radio or Franks Weather Call service. What does everybody here use?

Previously Owned; 1978 F150, 2000 Ford F150, and a 1950 Ford F1
Old 05-07-2008, 12:56 AM
Postmaster

white Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to behold
I have this one. Here is the link

Midland WR 300

programable for your specific county and you can turn off the less severe warnings that can get annoying. Excellent radio.

I carry a small midland handheld in my truck - I bought at Staples

Midland HH50
Old 05-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Postmaster

Traxxis has a great reputation on FTE.Traxxis has a great reputation on FTE.Traxxis has a great reputation on FTE.Traxxis has a great reputation on FTE.Traxxis has a great reputation on FTE.Traxxis has a great reputation on FTE.
I don't really have anything... I guess I just hope that either my dog will wake me or someone will call me.

STan

Old 05-12-2008, 12:48 AM
Senior User

HonorableKingCab is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a couple of family radios with the NOAA weather channels on them; however, they do not alert you when something is rolling toward your county. This season we bought the weather radio from walmart and it seems like a good unit. It's also battery powered so we can take it to the shelter with us. I like them both.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:54 AM
Postmaster

white Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to behold
I know the Midland WR 300 will allow you to program multiple counties, so I usssually program mine with my county and all the surrounding counties. Really makes the alarm go off more often, but better safe then sorry I guess.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Freshman User

78fordtruckgirl is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have Weather call and it's worked for me. It seems to give me a 10 or 15 minute headstart to get the heck out of my trailer and down to the fire station. For 6 bucks it's a least worth a try!
'75 F100
'67 Cougar
Old 06-03-2008, 10:30 AM