Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Utah Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Utah Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wooddyusa

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-05-2008, 08:49 PM
New User

raebear is starting off with a positive reputation.
Noob here!

Well hello all. I just bought a 57 F-100 Custom Cab, good shape over all except for a motor that is toast. Think I got a pretty good deal, now I need to decide whether to make it an official project or sell/part out for another ongoing project. I know nothing about these older Ford pickups other than than make some sweet rides when done. Any help as where to dig up info would be appreciated.
First questions are....
1. Any guesses on what motor it may have been? or how to find out?
it is a V8 two barrel carb-holley, truly toast, big hole in side of block.
2. I think it has a 4 speed; feels like it- floor shift, any idea on what tranny or how to tell? Did they put 4 spds in these?Yup 4 speed
3. What motors will work. And or motor manual trans combos, cheap reliable and readily available?
4. Would a going to a small block chev motor and tranny be a easily doable alternative. (leave it alone you blue oval purists)
5. What are the best options for tightening up the front end
6. Power steering
7. Better brakes
8. Good links here to read?

Yes, I know how to use the search function and will be doing so. But I thought if anyone had some of this info readily avail and was willing to point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I'll get picks up shortly.
Thanks,
Ray
Old 05-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Postmaster

CobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to FTE Ray!

Sounds like a great project truck! Wish I could help on some of the answers, but I do not know anyything about the 57's, so my ideas would be purely wild guesses right now...

Where are you in Utah?

When you can't buy what you want, build what you want.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:24 AM
New User

raebear is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks David. It will be interesting to see what happens. Going to power wash it today and yank the motor and tranny this week put it up on blocks and give it a thourough going over. Price, UT
ray

ps back at ya
Old 05-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Senior User

R Rocks is starting off with a positive reputation.
You can read the tag on the door and find all about your truck, look at the top of this page for articles and specs then click on vin decoder.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:47 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Utah Chapter