Sponsored by:

New Member 2003 Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 04:38 PM
TXABE
5th Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
New Member 2003 Excursion

Hi, I just got this 2003 v10 limited excursion with 113k miles a couple of months ago. Purchased in Phoenix metro Arizona and immediately drove 10 hours home to Texas. The truck did great and I actually got decent gas mileage. So far we love it for our family of 5 but it has a couple minor issues. First, is the ac goes to defrost on acceleration. I've seen many threads on it but most are 4x4 or diesel not v10 2wd. Is it the vacuum lines that go to the canister by the battery? Also has some clear coat fading on from bumper, hood and roof. I'll take care of that down the road. Glad to join and look forward to learning.

Old 07-23-2022, 05:36 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 831 Likes on 571 Posts
Nice looking wagon, and excellent choice on that color!

The AC switching to defrost sounds like the classic vacuum leak, you will have to do some searching around to verify exactly where your leaks is.

Old 07-23-2022, 05:46 PM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Received 336 Likes on 257 Posts
Think i saw that one for sale locally here, about that same time frame, but i already have mine.

I still keep track of which ones are for sale in case i discover another steal of a deal like i got on mine, 7K cash and it is pretty much immaculate, no rust, huge sunroof, had new tires on it, and even half a tank of fuel when i bought it.

Old 07-23-2022, 09:20 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Holy grail of seats, and in cherry condition.

i would have bought it just for the seats

Old 07-23-2022, 11:30 PM
TXABE
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Holy grail of seats, and in cherry condition.

i would have bought it just for the seats
The driver's seat has wear but passenger is good and 2nd and 3rd row are in great shape, leather is still soft. We decides to go with 2nd row buckets and low miles over another 4x4 that had bench.

Old 07-24-2022, 07:41 PM
02ExFilo
5th Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice and welcome im a newby as well

Old 07-26-2022, 10:54 AM
WI Dan
Mountain Pass
Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts
Very nice find, congrats!
Wow, those seats! Way cool. Good for you.
I'm searching a vacuum leak too...keep us posted what you find wrong with yours.

Old 07-26-2022, 11:00 AM
Antonm
Laughing Gas
Received 362 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by TXABE
The driver's seat has wear but passenger is good and 2nd and 3rd row are in great shape, leather is still soft. We decides to go with 2nd row buckets and low miles over another 4x4 that had bench.
If you're looking to repair the driver seat bottom, Richmond Auto Upholstery is an great place to get the replacement upholstery from. DIY installation isn't to bad (I managed to get it done) , and they're even in TX, so shipping shouldn't take to long to get to you either.

https://leather-auto-seats.com/

Old 07-27-2022, 08:08 AM
TXABE
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Antonm
If you're looking to repair the driver seat bottom, Richmond Auto Upholstery is an great place to get the replacement upholstery from. DIY installation isn't to bad (I managed to get it done) , and they're even in TX, so shipping shouldn't take to long to get to you either.

https://leather-auto-seats.com/
yup, I've used them before on a 95 bronco I had. I thought it looked great when I finished.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:36 AM
bwguardian
Fleet Mechanic
Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterX
Think i saw that one for sale locally here, about that same time frame, but i already have mine.

I still keep track of which ones are for sale in case i discover another steal of a deal like i got on mine, 7K cash and it is pretty much immaculate, no rust, huge sunroof, had new tires on it, and even half a tank of fuel when i bought it.
Sunroof...was that an option...can't say I've seen one on an Ex...

Old 07-27-2022, 01:46 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 831 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by bwguardian
Sunroof...was that an option...can't say I've seen one on an Ex...
Not a factory option in any year EX, all sunroofs on these wagons are aftermarket.

Old 06-26-2023, 04:08 PM
TXABE
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by WI Dan
Very nice find, congrats!
Wow, those seats! Way cool. Good for you.
I'm searching a vacuum leak too...keep us posted what you find wrong with yours.
Long time but I fixed the issue. In the winter, I realized my heater valve was leaking a little coolant. I replaced the part and when it started getting hot and I turned the ac, it was fixed. It works perfectly now and that's the only work I've done to it besides battery, bushings, and brakes so it had to be that for me.

Old 06-26-2023, 11:02 PM
ASFC27FTFBQ
Laughing Gas
Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts
Happy ending. Good job.👌
By the way, nice ride.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-27-2023, 06:31 AM
Theboneskes
Laughing Gas
Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts
Welcome to the family!! When you get to yoir brakes, your gonna say ouch! I too have a 2003 2WD Excursion, and I redid all the rotors and pads a few years ago. I went with Powerstop slotted and crossdrilled rotors up front and OE rotors in back, with the Powerstop Z36 pads front and rear. PERFECT for towing and daily use. No brake fade. Make sure you use good Timken bearings, races, and seals, and only use the red synthetic grease. It will cost a pretty penny when you do it(since its a 2WD) but if done right well worth it!

Old 06-27-2023, 08:14 AM
TXABE
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Theboneskes
Welcome to the family!! When you get to yoir brakes, your gonna say ouch! I too have a 2003 2WD Excursion, and I redid all the rotors and pads a few years ago. I went with Powerstop slotted and crossdrilled rotors up front and OE rotors in back, with the Powerstop Z36 pads front and rear. PERFECT for towing and daily use. No brake fade. Make sure you use good Timken bearings, races, and seals, and only use the red synthetic grease. It will cost a pretty penny when you do it(since its a 2WD) but if done right well worth it!
Funny you should mention brakes and bearings. I had another post about vibration ever since I had my bearings, rotors, and pads replaced. Turns out they left the nut loose, the one just after the cotter pin. Had terrible ride for 5k miles and made my tires wavy. Going to replace tires, do some burnouts or patiently wait for them to fix themselves with rotations.

Quick Reply: New Member 2003 Excursion