Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Major Oil Leak SOS HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 06:55 PM
derekmj64
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Major Oil Leak SOS HELP!

I just went outside to find a bunch of oil under my truck. I have a 2001 F-250 PSD. I have no idea what it could be or how to fix it. It seems to be coming from somewhere by the powersteering. It is leaking and dripping on my front axle and when I drove it earlier today before noticing it must have blew some back on the oil pan because there is some leaking there too. If some one could help me out I really would appreciate it, I am trying to avoid taking it in and paying big bucks if I can do it myself. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it...
Thanks,
Derek

Hopefully the Pictures Help!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Benny2002
Posting Guru
best bet is to wipe it all down and fire it up and find out exactly where she's leaking

Old 05-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Look up on top of the valley and see if there is oil puddled up there. Note if the oil is puddled in the front or the rear and then come back nand we can all figure this out together.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:56 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Any update on this? Did you look in the valley (between the 2 heads)? To leak near the power steering and the back I'd guess it's the HPOP O-ring on the drivers rail.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:56 PM
derekmj64
Senior User
I have not made it back outside to check it out but I will first thing tomorrow morning... I will give you guys an update as soon as possible. I really appreciate the help and the patience! Thanks everyone...

Old 05-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Pics were of little help. We need to find where it is coming from.

Case in point, I met MikeSDK in Nashville this past Thursday. I have had a pesky fuel leak since Smokin. He was checking out my truck and noted I might have an oil leak. It was leaking down onto the pavement. I said I was aware I had a leak and thought it was fuel. I had puddles in all 3 recesses of the engine valley. The fluid was black like oil.

The other day I got after it and sprayed it down with brake parts cleaner, sopped it up, then started the truck. Found it was leaking from the fitting at the return line from the fuel pressure regulator. I found the fitting had loosened. Tightened with a wrench and leak is fixed. Cost was 0.00.

So the point is, find the source, then fix it.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:45 PM
derekmj64
Senior User
I just went out and looked in the valley and there is a puddle of oil in the front on the driverside. I plan on taking it to the carwash later today and spray it out and clean it with degreaser to find out more about exactly where it is coming from.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by derekmj64
I just went out and looked in the valley and there is a puddle of oil in the front on the driverside. I plan on taking it to the carwash later today and spray it out and clean it with degreaser to find out more about exactly where it is coming from.
Just be careful...don't powerwash the top of that motor, or you'll end up with way more problems than just an oil leak...U can powerwash the underside though.

Get a good degreaser (lots here use simple green) and spray the problem areas down good and then wash them off with a garden hose. Put plastic bags around the alternator, PS pump and anything electrical.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:15 PM
dryfly
Elder User
Also,after you are done with your oil leak you may want to check out that radiator hose that is seeping.At least thats what it looks like from here.Maybe its the gasket there,but something is not rite.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:21 PM
derekmj64
Senior User
thanks for everyones help.... I did notice the antifreeze leak but it seems really slow and it looks like its the gasket. I am wondering do you know how much antifreeze is required for my truck for when I would go to fix the leak.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by dryfly
Also,after you are done with your oil leak you may want to check out that radiator hose that is seeping.At least thats what it looks like from here.Maybe its the gasket there,but something is not rite.

lol..I caught this one too, but I didn't say anything I didn't want to give the poor guy a heart attack.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:27 PM
dryfly
Elder User
I believe the whole system holds 8 gals of 50/50 mix.but if you really want to do it and not have the hassle of using the anti-cavitation additive all the time.Maybe think about completely flushing the green stuff out and putting in some with the additive already in it.I haven't done it yet its on my to do list.but there is alot of threads about it you can do a search and get it easy.Also maybe a new billet stat housing while your at it.Its made better and doesn't normally leak like the OEM does,so they say.The antifreeze you want to use is this stuff;ROTELLA® ELC Extended Life Coolant/Anti-Freeze .But you must make sure you get every drop of old coolant out,they don't mix.Means you must flush a few times until clear water then drain and fill with distilled water and that stuff.
Here is a link for the billit housing

Old 05-06-2008, 05:30 PM
derekmj64
Senior User
I went under the hood and noticed Oil Pressure Sending Units was wet with oil along with the connector when I pulled it out. I am wondering if this is my problem. Here are some picture if you guys can could you take a look and let me know... And is this called the oil pressure sending unit or what is it and if possible would you guys know the part number.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:31 PM
derekmj64
Senior User
This is also located on the front driverside on the right bank by the fuel filter.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:09 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Are we talking about this?

That is your ICP. Usually when we talk about this leaking oil it's in conjunction with a no start situation or a poorly running truck. Many folks have found a good deal on ebay. Hopefully someone will come along with a link. If the ICP is leaking oil I'd replace it sooner rather than later.

Quick Reply: Major Oil Leak SOS HELP!