2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Level kit differences

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:28 PM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Level kit differences

Anybody here running a leveling kit that has done a comparison of
AutoSpring vs BDS vs daystar.

Not really concerned with diff in price of the kits, but rather the way they work, quality, just anything you may know or have heard.
and If they were all priced the same which would you go with and why.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:38 PM
skirk55
Elder User
I put Daystar on my 1998 F-250 and put on a Ready Lift System on my 2005 F350. They did the same thing. I can not recommend one over the other.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:40 PM
skirk55
Elder User
Daystars instructions were not very good. Ready lift was better. Daystar has a 1-800 number if you need help they were very good.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:03 PM
SUPERDUTY_untouchabl
Posting Guru
My NCD customs kit went together easy. Dont know how the directions were I didnt look at them. Havent had any problems out of it and I also think it was cheaper than the autosprings kit. (not sure though)

Old 05-01-2008, 09:12 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Isn't the daystar kit a polybushing that you have to take apart the coil over assembly to install....?

The AutoSpring kit is extreamly easy... goes ontop of the C/O assembly took 2 hours to install taking my time (from the time I walked out side to start, to the time I was in the truck driving to get it aligned), and it was $80 shipped.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:30 PM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
So the Daystar and the BDS would be the same?

BDS preloads the spring, the sales guy at BDS says this is better when putting on a larger tire, I dont know whats everyones thoughts on that statement. Other than hes trying to make a sale.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:41 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
I'd say he's full of bull ____.
Never heard of something so dumb before.

I don't like the fact that it's poly.
That means it wears out and requires the coil over taken apart again to replace it(unlike the 2" steel spacer AS sells).

Old 05-02-2008, 10:24 AM
triple8
Senior User
Originally Posted by MBBFord
I'd say he's full of bull ____.
Never heard of something so dumb before.

I don't like the fact that it's poly.
That means it wears out and requires the coil over taken apart again to replace it(unlike the 2" steel spacer AS sells).

actually this is somewaht correct. the spacer compress's the spring to raise the vehicle so it in turn stiffens the ride. with the stiffer ride there is less opportunity for the suspension to compress and bring the fender closer to the tire which means less opportunity for the tire to kiss the fender. i am just thinking.

i personally have the 2" autospring and am very happy with it. makes the truck sit level unloaded. i am just waiting for th tore to burn out to replace with larger ones.

Last edited by triple8; 05-02-2008 at 10:26 AM. Reason: add on
Old 05-02-2008, 02:16 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
If you can find any kind of way to prove that, let me know.

The spacer doesn't compress the spring 2"s, it simply sits ontop of the spring, with the spring retainer on top of it. The spring would measure the same length stock or with the spacer... no difference.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:31 PM
skirk55
Elder User
I used two types of leveling kits and they both did not make the ride stiff. The leveling kit on my F350 is steel and I wanted that instead of rubber. The ride is the same before and after.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:30 PM
moonlighter
Senior User
Originally Posted by SDTruckMan
So the Daystar and the BDS would be the same?

BDS preloads the spring, the sales guy at BDS says this is better when putting on a larger tire, I dont know whats everyones thoughts on that statement. Other than hes trying to make a sale.

I installed the 2" BDS kit on my 07 2wd, it has a 3/4 " metal plate that goes on top of spring assy. and a 1" metal spacer that goes on shock that makes spring a little stiffer. But it rides same as stock ride. I have heard of some of the kits w/studs on top of plate rusting off.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:43 AM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Well I was kind of thinking the same thing about the poly/plastic breaking down after a while. On the other hand with BDS being a suspension company making lift kits and all, I find it hard to believe that they dont know what they are doing either. Im sure they have done testing on it.

Im not taking sides right now, just trying to make a educated decision.
I cant find the post but I think Pimprohr had a AS then ended up going with the daystar, and commented that he liked the Daystar better.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:16 PM
skirk55
Elder User
The type of rubber that Daystar uses will not brake down or flatten.I purchased Ready Lift over Daystar because it had a higher front end lift. I also felt a little better with steel due to the size and loads I put in my truck. I was very pleased with Daystar with my F250.Daystar has a good customer support and it came in handy because I was not 100% sure on one thing and the walked me through it and the kit worked like they told me.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by SDTruckMan
Load of B.S. The preload changes the ride and has no positive contribution.

1. Daystar kit: Dangerous...or can be. It requires you to remove the coil-over, compress the spring and disassemble the coil-over. you then insert the plastic puck and re-assemble. Now your coil-over lenght is longer than designed and can lead to early failure...not to mention change in ride quality

2. Autosprings/NCD/Steel Spacers: you remove the coil-over, bolt the spacer on the top of the coil-over and re-install. Fast, Easy, Safe, and very unintrusive install. The spacer you get just comes down to $$$ you want to spend and what you order. There is NO CHANGE IN RIDE QUALITY

3. Aluminum and Plastic Spacers: Why would a company sell aluminum for a suspension component? Especially since aluminum corrodes with contact with salt and water? And the very thought of using a plastic puck in my suspension...is just unsettling to me.

I personally like the Autosprings spacer. They've been there for a long time, and when there was a problem, they got it fixed quick. The other companies are basically a copy of the AS spacer.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:21 PM
firedog550
Freshman User
I can't complain about the NCD customs kit I have on my 06 FX4. Didn't change the ride and looks great as well as easy to put on.

Quick Reply: Level kit differences