Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2008, 07:12 AM
Senior User

C350CREW is starting off with a positive reputation.
spare pcm

tried to do a search on this but could not find what i wanted, dont like the search function, should only give results from the forum you are in when doing the search. anyway, want to get a spare PCM, if i cannot find one to match the tranny i have, can it be reflashed to match mine? also what is the newest program i should have and how do you check the pcm to find which version? any other recomended spares? IDM/CPS? tips on these?
Old 05-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Postmaster

MADVAN has a very good reputation on FTE.MADVAN has a very good reputation on FTE.MADVAN has a very good reputation on FTE.
Its PCM code and family (DPC)
You can use any code of the same DPC family. Different codes for different reasons. Most are just updates. On a flash of the DPC you can only get the last code of that DPC family.

Bill
Old 05-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Playing in the Dirt

plowhand has a good reputation on FTE.plowhand has a good reputation on FTE.
Do a search on car-part.com. It will be under Engine Computer, (97 will be the newest update for a pcm programing) this will pull up a list for ECU (Electronic Control Unit) towards the bottom you will see the listings for the 7.3L. Find the tranny you have (AT or MT) then emmissions (Fed. "std" or Cali. "low") then the highest letter. Example = 1997 Fed. Auto trans. truck = F7TF-12A650-TB will be the newest PCM; F7TF-12A650-TA will the next newest, etc. Hope this helps.
95 F250, XLT, 2WD, 5 Spd, 4.10 l/s, SuperCab, Longbed. Beans Stage II's, Adrenaline HPOP, Wildman 6 pos. chip, SMF, Open air intake, EBPV gutted, SSX, downpipe, CAT gutted, shimmed FPR, GPR control switch, gauges (Pyro, Boost, AMPs, mechanical Oil Pres. & mech. Water Temp.)
02 F150 Super Crew, Lariat (Wife's)
81 Bronco with 460
Old 05-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Senior User

helps a little. all this is new to me so type slow and use small words.
but, can i use a pcm from an auto if i have a man, or man if i have auto?
if so do they need reflashed/reprogrammed?
is it a good idea to carry a spare IDM? are there different types of these?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Playing in the Dirt

PCM = you can use an auto in a manual because it's not shifting anything, but you "can not" use a manual in an auto because there is no shift/torque converter lock up programing. (I found a 1997 PCM for a customer's truck alittle over a year ago on car-part.com for $75) So look around, you might the right one for your truck.

You can have PCM's reflashed but I don't know the limitations on this.

IDM's don't go out very often, "Keep them DRY". I would definitely carry a spare CPS.
95 F250, XLT, 2WD, 5 Spd, 4.10 l/s, SuperCab, Longbed. Beans Stage II's, Adrenaline HPOP, Wildman 6 pos. chip, SMF, Open air intake, EBPV gutted, SSX, downpipe, CAT gutted, shimmed FPR, GPR control switch, gauges (Pyro, Boost, AMPs, mechanical Oil Pres. & mech. Water Temp.)
81 Bronco with 460
Old 05-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Senior User

makes sense. thanks for the info.
so if i pressure wash the engine compartment, covering the IDM would be a good idea?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:53 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

Neal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud ofNeal 97 250 has much to be proud of
Yes it would or just don't spray it. A little bit of splash will not hurt it but just don't blast it.
97 F250 Rosewood Stage II.75's, DP Tuner Live Tuned, Modded H2E, Terminated HPOS, Comp 910's, ARP studs, Swamps Pushrods, 6.oh Cooler, BDP elec. reg. return fuel, Valair full feramic clutch, RSK, D60, SD 1 ton springs DRD INMATE # 40
Neal's Pics and H2E install
Tennessee Chapter Leader Join Chapter here
Old 05-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Postmaster

Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.Hussler has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C350CREW View Post
tried to do a search on this but could not find what i wanted, dont like the search function, should only give results from the forum you are in when doing the search. anyway, want to get a spare PCM, if i cannot find one to match the tranny i have, can it be reflashed to match mine? also what is the newest program i should have and how do you check the pcm to find which version? any other recomended spares? IDM/CPS? tips on these?
Use the advanced search function. You can then narrow down the search to only the forum you want to look into.

1997 F250 HD CC 4x4 7.3L - E4OD - 3.55's
Napa 6637 - FPR Shim 3" Down Pipe & CD 203 Stat
Riffraff
HPX - Interceptor Scan Gauge - Cobalt Digital Pyro
Old 05-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Senior User

farmer ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
looking for the same thing for my ford. and just checked car-parts.com they have tons of them. how do you Know for sure that they are good? or do you just take that chance to save the money?
Old 05-01-2008, 09:47 AM
Postmaster

MADVAN has a very good reputation on FTE.MADVAN has a very good reputation on FTE.MADVAN has a very good reputation on FTE.
Link

PCM Codes - 1994-1997 Power Stroke FAQ

Bill
Old 05-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Playing in the Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer ford View Post
looking for the same thing for my ford. and just checked car-parts.com they have tons of them. how do you Know for sure that they are good? or do you just take that chance to save the money?
Ask Questions:

1. Was it pulled from a running vehicle? Has it been out of the weather? If it was pulled from a wrecked vehicle where was the damage?

2. Ask if they will guarantee it to work. Most places will.

3. Look at it before you pay for it. Any signs of damage or water or heat.
81 Bronco with 460
Old 05-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Post Fiend

tjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to all
Most salvage yards have a no DOA policy but it gets tricky with electronics. You can buy a PCM and have it flashed if it doesn't match your trans. I would send them to DP-tuner to be flashed and skip Ford. Once I get organized I will have a spare IDM, PCM, UVC and gaskets, Harness repair kit, IPR, ICP..... Ah forget it I am gonna carry a spare truck on a trailer!! that will solve any issues except theft then I have two trucks to replace...... that would not be good!!

AD's, IC, Rear Disc, OBA, Tuned by Tony Built by me!

Transmission by Racer X!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Post Fiend

tjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to all
PS- DON'T pressure wash the engine! bad things happen or can happen. low pressure only!!

Transmission by Racer X!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Posting Guru

WALJON is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbeggs View Post
PS- DON'T pressure wash the engine! bad things happen or can happen. low pressure only!!
x2 water BAD
Old 05-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Post Fiend

Water isn't the problem its the pressure. I was my engine compartment often but the first two times I used the pressure washer and had problems both times. Never had a problem since using the garden hose. Hot water works even better!!

Transmission by Racer X!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:48 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1997, 4x4, 73, a1997, automatic, diesel, e4od, ecm, ecmpcm, f250, f250hd, f7tf12a650, f7tf12a650ta, f7tf12a650tb, family, ford, install, pcm, powerstroke, reflash, tb