3.0L Powerstroke Diesel Discuss the forthcoming 3.0L V6 Ford diesel in the F150

2010 Ford F-150 4.4L diesel Spied WTF is Urea?

Old 04-30-2008, 04:31 PM
blizzardND
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Ford F-150 4.4L diesel Spied WTF is Urea?

Here is a quick spy shot on the new Jelly burner from Ford.

2010.5 Ford F-150 4.4L diesel-powered mule [Spied]

A couple quick questions...
WTF is urea?
How much does it cost?
How much urea is used per oil change?
What happens when the the little urea low light comes on?
What if my daughter ignores that warning light(like every other dash warning)
Couldn't Ford call this stuff something other than Urea?
Why does Ford have to use this stuff ? Does any body else?
Will the local gas n go stock it when I need a quart?
What is Ford Thinking anyway?
The guys at Toyota are already laughing (they are probably the ones that named this crap that sounds like pus from some sort of STD infliction.)

-blizz
I'm new here because I would really like a 20MPG E-350 as an RV that I can afford to drive.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:00 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Some more photos here:

Urea is exactly that, Urea - (NH2)2CO
Its used to break down the NOX emissions that diesels emit, it actually eliminates up to 99% of them...
As for how often you need to fill up the tank, those that are already on sale in europe dont need filling up until the vehicle needs its oil changed.

Its a much better system than the DPF, as you don't need to "regenerate" it, as such fuel economy is much better.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:03 PM
SUPERDUTY_untouchabl
Posting Guru
Look how far the front bumper is sticking out. Is urea going to be used instead of a dpf filter? Or are they going to be used together?

Old 04-30-2008, 06:29 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
I don't believe the DPFs are going away.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:36 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by origcharger
I don't believe the DPFs are going away.
Correct, the DPF will be used in conjunction with SCR (urea).

Old 05-02-2008, 01:06 AM
mnmwhit
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm ready for one NOW in the EXPY

Old 05-02-2008, 06:27 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
So will the reduction in NOX have any effect on particulates? Maybe less work for the DPF resulting in fewer regens, or am I just dreaming again?

Old 05-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
These SCRs reduce NOX and other gaseous emissions, you will need the DPF to filter out particulates, so your regens will still be there.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:21 PM
herman391
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Lead Head
These SCRs reduce NOX and other gaseous emissions, you will need the DPF to filter out particulates, so your regens will still be there.
Hopefully not as often though. From what I'm hearing this regen thing isn't all that great.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:05 PM
pullinair
Elder User
Originally Posted by IB Adrian
Some more photos here:

Urea is exactly that, Urea - (NH2)2CO
Its used to break down the NOX emissions that diesels emit, it actually eliminates up to 99% of them...
As for how often you need to fill up the tank, those that are already on sale in europe dont need filling up until the vehicle needs its oil changed.

Its a much better system than the DPF, as you don't need to "regenerate" it, as such fuel economy is much better.
09 VW TDI's are equiped with this set -up. Ford should have went this direction with the 6.4. Hindsight is always 20/20. It looks to be the best way to go. I cant wait for Ford to bebut this truck with some common sense engineering. I am subscribed.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:54 PM
REDFORDFX4
Senior User
Diesel

I saw on Edmunds web site they have info on the new gm diesel. Sounds pretty similar to Fords but no mention of the use of urea just regen cycles.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:34 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
I remember reading a few years ago when the "Bluetec" systems from Mercedes were being review that Fed regulations had issues with the SCR system because it required user intervention, meaning if the tank went empty it wouldn't meet the requirements anymore. I think there was debate as to whether it counted as a maintenance item as plugs/wires/filters would be considered, or a user responsibility.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:10 PM
IABill
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

How are they going to keep the stuff from freezing overnight when it gets cold out?????

Old 05-19-2008, 02:29 PM
TXHillCountry
Elder User
Originally Posted by IABill
How are they going to keep the stuff from freezing overnight when it gets cold out?????
If it's like Mercedes "AdBlue" mixture of 1/3 Urea and 2/3 water, it'll need an on-board heating system for temps below 14 degrees F.

Although I have heard about a solution that also incorporates a small amount of ethanol, thus pretty much eliminating the freezing issue.

TX

Old 06-12-2008, 06:45 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by F350-6
So will the reduction in NOX have any effect on particulates? Maybe less work for the DPF resulting in fewer regens, or am I just dreaming again?

I'm on the Heavy Duty Diesel side of things, but the technology is the same. We are going to use urea based SCR for NOx reduction, but the huge advantage is this... The amount of EGR into the engine can be reduced thereby increasing fuel economy. The resulting higher engine-out NOx is taken care of by the SCR. Also, since the engine-out exhaust gas is NOx rich, the dpf will be able to regen in the passive mode more effectively since soot oxidizes at a lower temperature in a NO2 rich environment than an O2 rich environment.

From 2010 on, all diesel powered vehicles will be required to use OBDII. When your urea tank runs out, it will derate your engine. This is a strategy being forced upon us by the EPA. If you think filling the tank with water will override this, think again. NOx sensors on the outlet of the SCR will monitor NOx levels. If the levels are higher than normal, the system will try to inject more urea to counter this. If this doesn't work, the engine will be forced into derate.

Not all OEMs will use urea. There are other technologies such as the NOx absorber catalyst that Dodge uses with the CTD. However, this system needs to be regenerated the same as a dpf which means more fuel consumption. Others may choose to use massive EGR. Again, the side effect of this is reduced fuel economy. The more you cool the combustion chamber, the more fuel you will need to make power.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 Ford F-150 4.4L diesel Spied WTF is Urea?