6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Very Popular Option

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:10 AM
Demolition
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Popular Option

Everywhere I go, County dump, farms, gas stations, etc. the tailgate step gets a lot of attention. Every time I pull that thing out, it strikes up a conversation. I talk to builders, ranchers, handymen, and construction workers nearly daily, and NO ONE asks about dual turbos, gas mileage, HP, torque or even the mirrors. They LOVE the step. Hell, I LOVE the step. Everyone laughs at the handle, but the step is gold. Wouldn't be surprised to see Dodge, Chevy and Toyota doing the same thing.

Gotta say that the more I tow, my favorite option is the towing mirrors. I like how they adjust to the width of the trailer and I love how they fold in when I go to the bank drive thru. Also, those large, convex spotting mirrors are the best. Zero blind spots. I see Toyota has the same thing, but they are pretty narrow, much like the Titan's. From experience I know that they are better than nothing, but not nearly as effective as Ford's.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Traakon
New User
I also get some curiosity about the step on my '08 but I am not its biggest fan. The wife…loves the step. But not like she uses it or works out of the truck.

I'm a contractor that “uses" my tailgate as a job site desk/work bench and with the step, that option is severely diminished. I can still roll out a set of plans and mark them up (so long as I don’t let the pen roll off into one of the plastic ridges.) If I need a usable work surface to repair/modify some equipment, I have to pull out the sawhorses and drop a top on them now where I use to just drop the tailgate.
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
Perhaps I will come around to it in time. You know what they say about “old dogs”

Old 04-30-2008, 10:09 AM
jshumadine
Junior User
I'm with you Traakon. While I mainly use it for "show" and it's nice when I'm feeling lazy, I had to take the tailgate off when I had a pallet of 2900 lbs of slate put in the bed and again to unload it b/c they wouldn't have been able to back the forklift out once the load was dropped in the bed. The curves of the tailgate you mention also don't feel too good on my butt when I put the tailgate down to sit on it and drink a cold one.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:47 AM
firehawk198
Elder User
Originally Posted by Traakon
I also get some curiosity about the step on my '08 but I am not its biggest fan. The wife…loves the step. But not like she uses it or works out of the truck.

I'm a contractor that “uses" my tailgate as a job site desk/work bench and with the step, that option is severely diminished. I can still roll out a set of plans and mark them up (so long as I don’t let the pen roll off into one of the plastic ridges.) If I need a usable work surface to repair/modify some equipment, I have to pull out the sawhorses and drop a top on them now where I use to just drop the tailgate.
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><O></O>
Perhaps I will come around to it in time. You know what they say about “old dogs”
I usually keep a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back for sliding over the tailgate sometimes. maybe you could use a 3' x 4' sheet to slide over the ridges and use as a desk.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Traakon
New User
Thanks for the thought Firehawk but the tailgate isn't flat even if you lay something over it.

It is an interesting add-on but they could of added a wee bit more thought. If it becomes a real issue for me, I will just replace the tailgate with a stock one.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Momorris
Senior User
Can you take of the plastic bedliner and handle and maybe put a piece of sheet metal over it and paint it or spray it? That would make a nice flat seat/work area. The handle doesn't seem that neccessary anyway.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:48 PM
pugster
Senior User
Thumbs up Tailgate Step

I'm 48 and don't bend as easily as I used to. The step/safety handle is much appreciated here.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:42 PM
NS F250
Elder User
Originally Posted by Momorris
Can you take of the plastic bedliner and handle and maybe put a piece of sheet metal over it and paint it or spray it? That would make a nice flat seat/work area. The handle doesn't seem that neccessary anyway.
Some guys replace the handle with a plate from a regular tailgate. Keep the step, ditch the handle.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:32 PM
firehawk198
Elder User
Originally Posted by NS F250
Some guys replace the handle with a plate from a regular tailgate. Keep the step, ditch the handle.
Good idea, I use my steps alot but not the handle. Ford should make the handle an option.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:55 PM
NS F250
Elder User
Originally Posted by firehawk198
Good idea, I use my steps alot but not the handle. Ford should make the handle an option.
Well, I'm sure you can't get the handle as an option because there is an army of ambulance chasers in this country just waiting to sue someone.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Demolition
Gotta say that the more I tow, my favorite option is the towing mirrors. I like how they adjust to the width of the trailer and I love how they fold in when I go to the bank drive thru. Also, those large, convex spotting mirrors are the best. Zero blind spots. I see Toyota has the same thing, but they are pretty narrow, much like the Titan's. From experience I know that they are better than nothing, but not nearly as effective as Ford's.

I don't have a SD but I just added Fords 08 Telescoping towing mirrors on my 06 and they are great! Like you said zero blind spots and awesome with my trailers......also my dad and I are the only ones with them on around here so there are plenty of heads turning!

heres a pic of them

Old 04-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Pahrump1
Junior User
Originally Posted by NS F250
Thats what I was going to suggest...my cousin took his handle off and got the inside part from another tailgate...MUCH better now...you can sit on the tailgate...haul sheetrock...etc...but the step is still there if needed.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:19 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Just what I did. It suits me well. I have an 8' bed with a two foot tool box in the front. I had placed a 2 x 4 on it's side on each side of the tool box on top of a finished 4 x 8 sheet of plywood, 3/4" thick (aka 11/16). I also have an 8 ' ARE cap. When I go to pick up concrete blocks, I have to be careful, but I can stack three high, easily, with a couple bags of mortar on top.

When I go to pick up steel, I obviously cut the 20 foot sections in half and that allows most of my stuff to go under the tool box, and then I put a piece of cribbing under the linex bed, behind the plywood. Seems like the bed is really 8' - 1" long.

Anyway, I had that problem pretty well thought out. I wish I had the 3.73 rears, but who knew about the price of fuel. I increased my fuel consumption to 11.2 with a dually 6.4 by threatening to shot off my right foot big toe. Surprisingly enough, the threat worked. AS INFO...

Forgot the theme: My tailgate step is wonderful. Doing the above protects, and I use it to be the 65 year old guy that can crawl into his F - 350 !

Last edited by rmosso1; 04-30-2008 at 05:20 PM. Reason: THEME