Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 401, 477, & 534 SD Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2008, 11:10 PM
New User

Rheems1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Some Motor Help

Well I finally took the plunge and bought myself a fire truck... I have been a volunteer firefighter for many, many years and have seen and driven alot of fire trucks.. but this one has always been one of my favorites. It is a 1969 Ford N-1000 with an American fire body on it.... it was a tanker at it's fire department and carried 1,500 gallons of water. It is a nice piece.. but here is the help I need.... I always assumed it had a 534 in it... but I got looking (both at the motor and at the matinence records) and have come to find out that it has a Ford 477 in it. I felt comfortable with a 534 because I have driven things with that in it... but I hadn't ever really heard of a 477... now I am terrified that I bought a truck with an unfavorable motor in it. So... the help that I need is... what can anyone tell me about the Ford 477... is it a decent motor? Does it have any real problems? Is the reason that I haven't really heard of it before joing this board because it was a crappy motor that wasn't produced very long? Finally... should I be looking for it's replacement awhile? It seems to run good (it ran on the highway at a respectable 59 mph while getting about 7mpg)... but I guess I have the fear of the unknown... so any help or info on this thing would be most appreciated!!

Dave
Old 04-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Post Fiend

85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
Read through the threads here. The 477 is just a smaller displacement version of the 534. (the other is the 401) If yours is running good, you are waaay ahead of most already.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:57 AM
New User

Rheems1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes, it seems to run well (just a very slight miss every now and than at idle). Here is a picture of it before it left... I will try to get better pictures of it in the coming days.

Click the image to open in full size.

1969 Ford/American Pumper
750 Barton Front-mounted Pump
1,500 Gallons of Water
Ford 477 CID Motor (6,800 miles)
Eaton 5 Speed Transmission with 2 Speed Rear End
Old 04-30-2008, 01:57 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 401, 477, & 534 SD Engines

Tags
1000, 1960, 1966, 1969, 477, 69, american, barton, engine, ford, n1000, pump