1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Banks Technicooler tubes

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Banks Technicooler tubes

I just got off the phone with Banks. I was getting a quote for just the tubes, cold side and hot side. He talked me into hoses and clamps. So to sum it up; 2-3X3 hoses, 2-3X3X4 hump hoses, 8 hose clamps, hot and cold side tubes all for $125.29.

Does this sound reasonable?
I did not get their ram intake Y-pipe because I know they want a ******** for that.

I am going this route because due to my living situation I cannot get access to tubes and a welder. This would be quick and easier for me. I have the 6.0 cooler and the early '99 Y-pipe already.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:09 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neal your still going to have to fab. Even with the bank y-pipe the tubes need to be shortened for height some. Using the Early 99 y I think your going to run into even more problems cause I think the banks unit extends farther over the valve covers. here is a link to rtxcoon's 6.0 install. he had to trim for height

Old 04-29-2008, 02:11 PM
93f1505.0L
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds great. I would have done that if i knew they were that cheap. I made mine out of both 6.0l pipes and the drivers side 7.3l pipe. turned out good but would have rather had the banks. I too used the 6.0l intercooler and early 99 spyder.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
I can't look at pics on you-tube or webshots or similiar accounts due to security issues here at work. So when you say shorten for height can I just cut or do they need to be welded. I can cut.

And when you say the banks y-pipe extends over the VC I understand that but they still have to be modified? I would think the pipes should be plug and play if you have all of their stuff.

To fix the part of the y-pipe that doesn't hang out over the VC enough I could get a piece of pipe from a mufler shop couldn't I?

Old 04-29-2008, 03:20 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by tjbeggs
Neal your still going to have to fab. Even with the bank y-pipe the tubes need to be shortened for height some. Using the Early 99 y I think your going to run into even more problems cause I think the banks unit extends farther over the valve covers. here is a link to rtxcoon's 6.0 install. he had to trim for height
oops, link
DSC00018 pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

Old 04-29-2008, 03:24 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Neal 97 250
I can't look at pics on you-tube or webshots or similiar accounts due to security issues here at work. So when you say shorten for height can I just cut or do they need to be welded. I can cut.

And when you say the banks y-pipe extends over the VC I understand that but they still have to be modified? I would think the pipes should be plug and play if you have all of their stuff.

To fix the part of the y-pipe that doesn't hang out over the VC enough I could get a piece of pipe from a mufler shop couldn't I?
I think the banks cooler mounts lower than how most install an IC in these trucks so the pipes extend too high for our purposes. thats the deal with the height. As for the top ends with the early 99 I am sure its workable but I am not certain the approach angles are the same. Length could be added with other pipe but it you don't weld it it just means more possible leakage points. no a big deal but not the way I would want to go.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:13 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
i think the 6.0 cooler inlets are in different locations than the banks or the stock 7.3? i could be wrong though. the tubes are just 3 inch round pipe, you can use a rubber connector to join them together if you need to cut and adjust. i did no welding on mine either and all of my piping is customized.

how soon are you in need neil? i have a bunch of pipe still and some clamps. i can see what i have, i hav eno clue what shipping would cost though.... when is the next time you are up here on work?

Old 04-29-2008, 07:42 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Joe now that I look at rtxcoon's pic I think you are right. The 6.0 cooler has the inlet/outlet are higher.

Neal to solve your issue I think we can work out a deal. I will send you my 7.3 cooler and your send me your 6.0 cooler! LOL

Old 04-29-2008, 07:46 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
lmao!!! tim, you are a trip

Old 04-29-2008, 07:50 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

A guy has to try!! Beside Neal already bought a set of injectors from me this week so I hopefully to get a little more out of him. LOL Come on Neal it sounds like a great idea to me!!

Old 04-29-2008, 07:59 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
oh yeah? thats a fair trade.....lol

Old 04-29-2008, 10:36 PM
rtxcoon
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to cut 5" out of one pipe and 6" out of the other....keep in mind I didnt say shorten, I said "cut out" and then reweld in the riser sections of the piping from the intercooler....basically the reason for this was because I had to mount my 6.0 intercooler higher than normal due to the cross tube on my reverse shackle kit...

to the OP, dont worry about the fab, if you measure and re-mearsure, then cut your pipes, any local competent muffler shop should be able to reweld them back for you at a pretty decent price...the trade off is that you ruin that pretty grey banks powder coating...LOL!!!

my webshots album on the install pretty much shows everything I did to get the cooler mounted and cutting of the pipes if you can access them from somewhere other than your work...

Old 04-30-2008, 07:25 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe
i think the 6.0 cooler inlets are in different locations than the banks or the stock 7.3? i could be wrong though. the tubes are just 3 inch round pipe, you can use a rubber connector to join them together if you need to cut and adjust. i did no welding on mine either and all of my piping is customized.

how soon are you in need neil? i have a bunch of pipe still and some clamps. i can see what i have, i hav eno clue what shipping would cost though.... when is the next time you are up here on work?
Thanx Joe. I may take you up on that offer. I will pay all shipping and as long as the package is not too big it wouldn't be too much to ship. I took a new job and I don't have to travel anymore so now I can be with my family all the time I wish I could come up and visit you though. Maybe in the future?
Also are those pipes aluminum or steel? I have a buddy that has a welding shop back at home I may be able to use. It is just a logistics thing with me being in Erwin and all my tools in Roane county.

Originally Posted by tjbeggs
A guy has to try!! Beside Neal already bought a set of injectors from me this week so I hopefully to get a little more out of him. LOL Come on Neal it sounds like a great idea to me!!
Hey guys I got a better idea. Tim I will send you my cooler you send me yours then you and Joe swap then me and Joe will swap and we will all be happy. LOL. UPS would love that huh? Anyway, nice try Tim.

Originally Posted by rtxcoon
I had to cut 5" out of one pipe and 6" out of the other....keep in mind I didnt say shorten, I said "cut out" and then reweld in the riser sections of the piping from the intercooler....basically the reason for this was because I had to mount my 6.0 intercooler higher than normal due to the cross tube on my reverse shackle kit...

to the OP, dont worry about the fab, if you measure and re-mearsure, then cut your pipes, any local competent muffler shop should be able to reweld them back for you at a pretty decent price...the trade off is that you ruin that pretty grey banks powder coating...LOL!!!

my webshots album on the install pretty much shows everything I did to get the cooler mounted and cutting of the pipes if you can access them from somewhere other than your work...
I will be able to access them this weekend when I go to the house that is for sale. I will open it then print so I can have them. Thanx RTX for the confidence and the pics.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:49 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Neal 97 250
Hey guys I got a better idea. Tim I will send you my cooler you send me yours then you and Joe swap then me and Joe will swap and we will all be happy. LOL. UPS would love that huh? Anyway, nice try Tim.
Something tells me that would not be a profitable situation for any of us! thanks anyway Neal! LOL

Old 04-30-2008, 06:36 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe
I liked your set up, what kind of rubber connector did you use? and that set up, means more possible leakage points, do you have any leaks?.

thanks

Quick Reply: Banks Technicooler tubes