1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

slide in pickup camper lights

Old 04-29-2008, 02:53 AM
884x4broncoII
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slide in pickup camper lights

in my 10ft slide in pickup camper the interior lights are run off the aux pin on my trailer light connector but in order for it to work the key has to be in the on position, id like to eather make it so they will work with the key in the off position or install a battery in the camper that charges when the truck is running but does not drain the truck battery witch is the way i would prefer to do it but im open to all easily feasible options other than having to have the key on any time i want 12volt power in the camper.

here is an picture of my dirty camper on a dirty truck...lol

Old 04-29-2008, 04:13 AM
DAVID'S97F250HD
Posting Guru
Leave the aux. pin to charge the battery?? With the truck off it should not discharge the battery but it may backfeed and power the truck then, hmmmmm.

Move the wire from your trailer plug onto the running light pin??

You can run new cable from the battery with a master kill switch to the battery in the slide camper. I've used welding cable at a farm yard supply store that worked excellent when I had to relocate a battery into the trunk of a car.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:00 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Been there, done that when I had my camper. They make a battery splitter with three terminals on it. Center terminal goes to the alternator, one of the outside terminals goes to the main truck batteries and the other outside terminal would go to the battery in the camper. When the truck is running all batteries are charging but when off you can completely run down your camper battery without affecting the truck battery. Looks like a big heat sink with three large studs on it. Check at a local RV center.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:39 AM
MagKarl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What Hussler is referring to is called an isolator. I'm surprised your camper doesn't already have a battery. I would add a battery to your camper. It will get charged while you are driving by the hot lead in the connector, and should be isolated when the truck is not running. But I still unplug my camp trailer from the pickup just in case, I don't want to find out at the end of a trip that my pickup has a dead battery.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:51 PM
884x4broncoII
Posting Guru
sorry for taking so long to respond i haven't been home, do i plug the aux lead from the light plug in into the isolator or do i run a different wire? it seem like the amperage of charging a battery could be enough to fry the aux wire or blow a fuse? if you have to run a different wire how do you make it so you can easily hook it up and unhook it. i have used a bat isolator on a dual bat conversion on a 4x4 with a winch so I'm somewhat familiar but not for this application.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:18 AM
rungunner
Junior User
Isolator / Battery

I have been through this with a 1989 Ford that did not have an isolator. I now have a 1997 F-350 that came with one. When you shut your ignition off the camper will not draw power from truck battery. You do not want to use the truck battey. Get yourself a battery for your camper or you could eventually be stuck somewhere with a dead battery in the truck. I installed two batterys in my camper. I have enough power for over a week in these batteries and wait until I get home to charge them up. I to even though I have an isolator in this truck unplug my camper while I am at hunting camp just to be sure I am not drawing power from the truck.

Search this Thread