1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

49 M68 Front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:17 PM
RedZombie
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
49 M68 Front brakes

Hi, I'm new to the forum and just starting a complete frame up project on a M68 (same as a F3).

I'm getting all the pieces of info together before I start dropping tons of money. So I'll be dropping lots of questions over the next few months. One of the big questions I have that I really haven't seen addressed is upgrades to the larger truck front suspensions. I want to keep the 8 lugs. I know there are no new brake parts being reproduced, so I was thinking of swapping out the spindles or possible the whole clip, to get better braking. I believe the spindles are the same for the F1-F3's. So I don't know why the Brake companies can't come up with a disc brake set up for the larger trucks. The truck will be a daily driver, so I want good brakes.

Have any of the other F2/F3 guys done anything keeping the 8 lugs, but upgraded the front end?

Thanks

Old 04-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
I don’t know anything about big trucks but,

I would think that a F3 (one ton?) would have a bigger spindle or axle then a half ton (F1) because of the increased GVW or 8 stud wheel. Is the 8 stud wheel bolt pattern the same on newer F350’s ? I would check out a truck wrecking yard to see if the front axle assembly could be transplanted?

Old 04-27-2008, 09:26 PM
mercman65
Senior User
hey redzombie i'm working on a m68 all so but i'm going to make it heavy1/2.the whole front end uses the same springs/axles etc from f-1to f-3s so it says in most of the vendors cataloges except the brakes and hubs.check out my gallery of my 50 m68 there zombieand by the way where are you from in canada.good luck theres lots of help in this form some one will help you

Old 04-27-2008, 10:58 PM
RedZombie
Junior User
I'm in Winnipeg. Charleswood area.

I see that most of the parts are interchangable, my only problem is that I want to keep the 8 lugs, otherwise, I'd just swap in the 1/2 brakes.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:26 AM
oilyowl
Junior User
Redzomby

I could not get through to your e-mail.
Yes you could have a look at the truck and i can provide a parts list as well

Oilyowl

Old 04-28-2008, 08:40 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The F1, F2, F3 spindles are all the same so any kit that fits an F1 should also fit your M68. The only problem is that there is no rotor that I'm aware of that comes with these kits with the 8 lug pattern. Therein lies the problem and the reason most abandon the 8 lug in favor of the 5x5.5 pattern. Plus if you update the rear end a truck Ford 9 inch will have the same pattern. You might look into having a machine shop drill a 5x5.5 rotor for an 8 lug pattern. I don't know if that can be done or not....