1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

"Brake line" to replace fuel line?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:00 PM
dwschmidt
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Brake line" to replace fuel line?

Newbie question. I'm trying to get my F-5 started after many years (hoping to fire it up this weekend!). Just took out the fuel tank and removed the metal fuel line from the tank to the firewall. This line has bad sludge in it, so I want to replace it. I went to NAPA today, to get fuel line and a fuel pump. They don't sell fuel line, but have 5/16" brake line that looks to be an exact match. Is it the same stuff? Am I missing something? The fittings appear to match up fine.

[BTW, I'm plesantly surprised that NAPA has the fuel pump in their local warehouse (I get it tomorrow morning) and it is less than $40.]

Thanks much for any help,

Duane.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:06 PM
52 F3
Elder User
Same stuff. It is just flared steel tubing.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:31 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Some of their stuff is coated inside, that's what I used. Sort of a greenish epoxy coating. Bare steel may corrode just like the old stuff.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:47 AM
Sandidande
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same same problem - no one sells just plain old steel tubing any more. It has to have a name and a nomenclature, etc. It's just like going into the part store and asking for a 1/4" x 20 bolt and the fool behind the counter askes what the year and make of vehicle is.

The tubing is manufactured in different outer diameters, inner diameters, thicknesses, and metal stiffness/hardnesses. One of the nice things about working on these big old chunks of steel is that normally a lot of minutial detail isn't really necessary. If you can find a metal tube that is called a brake hose and it works for your gas hose, I'd use it. Brake hose is designed to hold a lot mor epresure safely than a fuel hose. And sur ethere's always a chance it will corrode - Just like the last one - 60 years from now.

In San Diego, we have a place called Marshalls Industrial Hardware and they carry all types of steel tubing. I'd try an industrial hardware supply for your tubing instead of a car parts place. And if you can't find it, let me know and I'll go up to Marshalls and get what you need and mail it to you!

Old 04-25-2008, 08:56 AM
dwschmidt
Junior User
Thanks everyone--I thought it was the same but wasn't totally sure. I've gone ahead and bought it from NAPA--they have it with the green epoxy coating. The longest piece they have is 60" and it looks like I need about 62", so I bought a second smaller piece and may have to join two together. I'm really hoping to get this beast started this weekend, so this will do for now (and probably for a long time). Lots to do today.

Duane.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:53 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
You could finish the last two inches with rubber fuel hose rather than steel if it is outside the pass compartment. Just cut the steel line a couple inches from the end and slip on a piece of fuel hose. secure with a couple spring wire or worm hose clamps. It's a good idea to have a flexible coupling between the tank and the engine somewhere near the engine since the engine can move around on it's mounts. The vibration and movement will eventually stress a solid steel line.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:35 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
You will need a hose between your steel line and pump to absorb the movement of the engine. If you use a stock reproduction fuel hose it will have fittings at each end. You'll need a male threaded fitting at the in of your steel fuel line. It's been a while since I installed the one on my F-2 but I think I was able to use a stock brass compression fitting, if not NAPA will have the fitting you need. Currently on my F-1 panel I am using just a length of rubber fuel hose like AX said.

The trick with NAPA, or any good auto parts store, is try to find the oldest guy behind the count, some one who's been around for a long time. The newer guys just want to look on the computer, I have found the older guys either know the stuff or they will go and dust off an old catalog and look.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:18 PM
dwschmidt
Junior User
Bob and Axracer--I do plan a length of flexible hose between the main steel line and the fuel pump. (initial plan was a "proper" Ford part, but see below, I may end up just making up a flexible line).

Bob, I should have known things were going too smoothly (I got the kid at NAPA who did not know what points or a condensor were, but he found the fuel pump in the computer and it "appears" correct, except...). When we got to the fuel pump today, we found the female fitting on the inlet side seems to be different from the fitting on the inlet side of the old fuel pump. It is unclear what the different is, but nothing I have now fits it. My guess (relatively uneducated here) is that it may be pipe thread fitting rather than straight 1/2"-20 threads that I believe are on the old pump (threads look extremely similar, but fittings do not thread in). I have the old flexible line that went from the firewall to the fuel pump, and an NOS replacement--both have fittings that fit the old fuel pump but not the new. So it is back to NAPA in the morning to see what adaptor is needed, or how to make up a flexible line out of standard flexible fuel line.

Spent a fair amount of time frustrated over this one issue today, but still a betterday than being at work!

Duane.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:49 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I ran into the same problem the other day when I went to install a mechanical temperature sending unit in the right side of the engine in the panel truck. Went to thread in and it turned out the sending unit was 3/8" NPT, the hole in the head was 1/2"NPT. I was at home so I took a ride to my shop before heading back to the store to see if I might have something that would work, sure enough I had an adapter in my fitting bin. Yesterday when I bought another gauge for the other head I grabbed an adapter before leaving the store. I was educated this time.

I remember when I installed the new fuel pump in the F-4 I had to screw around with fittings and adapters. I don't remember exactly what I had to do to make everything fit together. Everything worked fine once I had it plumbed together.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:17 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(It's just like going into the part store and asking for a 1/4" x 20 bolt and the fool behind the counter askes what the year and make of vehicle is.)

LOL had to have been Autozone they are the worst up in my area

Old 04-26-2008, 07:47 AM
redpanhead
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(It's just like going into the part store and asking for a 1/4" x 20 bolt and the fool behind the counter askes what the year and make of vehicle is.)

Went to local auto parts store and asked if they had any heli coil sets, was asked for year and make of vehicle.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:25 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Key word is SHORT length of rubber hose. Too long of a hose, and it may "squeeze" itself closed when the fuel pump begs for fuel.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:21 PM
dwschmidt
Junior User
Update: I went ahead and used the brake line. Used one 60" length versus the original which is about 1.5 inches longer (per parts book and actual measurement).

I found a Ford flexible hose (NOS)--part HC 9288 A--at last Fall's Carlisle meet. Am using that to connect from the main (brake) line to the fuel pump. Havi, I'll keep the flex line collapse in mind, this piece is about 8 inches long.

On the fuel pump threads issue, it turned out the threads were poorly cut. Took awhile to trust that this was the issue, but eventually I used a 1/2"-20 (grade 8 fine thread) bolt to clean out the threads. Worked.

All is plumbed up now (yesterday and today were plumbing days--fuel line, vacuum line, trips to Home Depot plumbing aisle for parts. It will be another day or so of work to get everything else together to try firing it up (maybe next weekend).

Thanks again all.

Duane.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:42 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Be sure the flex line is rated for fuel line use. Gas, especially E-10 can deteriorate and swell some rubber hose pretty quickly.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:36 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
duane, put an ounce of marvel mystery oil in fuel tank, this will lubricate lines, pump, carb, valve train, etc. will prevent rust in line. petey shoes-42 mh