Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Post Fiend

DIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to all
Subscribing. Any updates?
Old 01-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Senior User

ditch witch is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've been using filter WMO since my last post here in the 6.9 without any problems. I've been mixing according to the time of year. Summer days with 80 deg and up temp. I mix 75 oil-25 diesel and as it cools off in the fall I reduce the amount of oil.

'93 Ranger XLT Super Cab, 4WD, 3.0, auto
Old 01-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Senior User

1967 Turbo 6.9 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How small are You filtering it to?

1967 F350 6.9 Diesel Banks Turbo GV overdrive
1973 F250 camper special Linda Lou
1974 F100 4x4 survivor never been touched
1974 F100 6.9 Diesel 2003 Crown Vic front
suspension 79 grille
Old 01-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Senior User

ditch witch is starting off with a positive reputation.
Go back to post #58. I'm using a "triple stacker" Frantz and it then goes into a single Frantz and then ready to burn. How small it filters to..... I don't know. But it works well and easy to build. I had all the parts except the pump which cost $40.

'93 Ranger XLT Super Cab, 4WD, 3.0, auto
Old 01-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Senior User

catbird7 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just completed another 5000 driving miles of hunting season, running a 50 / 50 mix of wmo & Fuel. I used the word "Fuel" because I'll mix it with Kerosine, Home Heating Oil, or Reg. Diesel. The filtering method is very cheap any easy! I simply gravity feed it through a coffee filter. Been doing this for years with no ill effects. Gas mileage drops from around 20mpg to 17mpg with a noticable difference in power. The engine is noticably quieter.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Post Fiend

DIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by catbird7 View Post
I just completed another 5000 driving miles of hunting season, running a 50 / 50 mix of wmo & Fuel. I used the word "Fuel" because I'll mix it with Kerosine, Home Heating Oil, or Reg. Diesel. The filtering method is very cheap any easy! I simply gravity feed it through a coffee filter. Been doing this for years with no ill effects. Gas mileage drops from around 20mpg to 17mpg with a noticable difference in power. The engine is noticably quieter.
"A noticeable difference in power" in which direction? More power or less?" What outdoor temperatures you looking at?

1997 F-350 7.3 PSD, 4x4, CCLB SRW, 3.55's, ZF5
If it isn't under warranty, I'll fix it myself.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Senior User

Noticeably "less" power when running the mixture.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:23 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Have you done a Blackstone oil analysis on the waste oil your using?

You should. Then post the results here. You would be amazed at what your running through your injectors............

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 01-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Senior User

Speaking for myself, "what's in the oil" doesn't worry me enough to care! It's like scooping up a jar of air, sending it off for analysis so you can worry about what you breathed even though you feel fine. Like I've said in previous posts, if Cummins does this to brand new engines, I'm sure it won't hurt my old beater! My old truck has 280 thousand something miles on it, at least 20,000 of the last 50,000 miles I used some mixture of WMO with no ill effects. Ask yourself (you don't need to answer me) with that information, would you be interested in paying for an oil analysis report from anyone and even if you had one would you believe it if it said bad things will happen?
Old 01-05-2011, 02:36 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by catbird7 View Post
Speaking for myself, "what's in the oil" doesn't worry me enough to care! It's like scooping up a jar of air, sending it off for analysis so you can worry about what you breathed even though you feel fine. Like I've said in previous posts, if Cummins does this to brand new engines, I'm sure it won't hurt my old beater! My old truck has 280 thousand something miles on it, at least 20,000 of the last 50,000 miles I used some mixture of WMO with no ill effects. Ask yourself (you don't need to answer me) with that information, would you be interested in paying for an oil analysis report from anyone and even if you had one would you believe it if it said bad things will happen?
Nothing personal. I don't care what you run in YOUR diesel. Other people that read these threads could get the wrong impression that WMO is totally harmless. Especially when you start talking newer diesels that use injection pressures above 25,000 psi.

The following link is to a blackstone report for a Cat diesel engine that I posted 2 years ago in this same thread: Diesel Engine Sample Report 1

Pay particular attention to the Aluminum, Zinc, Iron, Boron, Calcium, and Phosphorus levels in the 3rd column from the left.

This does not even take the other chemical products of combustion. WMO from gasoline engines is even worse!

A lot of people wanting to save money will read threads like this. I just want to make sure they get ALL the info.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 01-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Senior User

I agree that if I were considering using WMO in a $40,000.00 truck, it would be completely decision!
Old 07-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Senior User

86f350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Holy old thread.....Any updates ?

Jason... US Nat'l Guard unit 638th ASB
'85 F250 4x4, 6.9l, T19 4 spd.
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13
Old 07-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Senior User

Still have the same truck, with the same engine, running the same fuel mixture, no problems. The only thing I've done since the last reply (3 years ago) was add a factory ATS turbo. Yes, I know many people think this is also a no, no, for a 303,000 mile engine with no studs in the heads however so far (knock on wood) it works great. Injection pump turned up two flats. Huge increase in power! I also had Conestoga Diesel set the timing properly.
Mixing fuel has become a little easier than my "coffee filter days". Now I save used motor oil, trans fluid, hydraulic fluid, basically any oil, in 55 gal drums. Let it set inside the unheated garage till January. Then pump it out with a small 12volt dc fuel pump (Holley Red) and push it through two wool oil furnace filters and then finally through a 5micron fuel filter. The oil discharges into a 275 gal oil tank which I've preloaded with 140 gals of home heating oil purchased during the summer months when it's cheapest. I do this in January because all of the water will be in the bottom of the barrel frozen. I also keep the pick-up hose approximately 4" off the bottom to avoid everything that settles including antifreeze. Continue adding filtered oil till the 275 gal tank is full which results in a 50 / 50 mix. Then let the pump run for a couple days in a "loop mode" where the fuel mixture comes out of the bottom of the 275 tank and enters into the top. This makes sure everything is well mixed. I've also played around with gasoline mixing it 85% used motor oil to 15% regular gasoline and it seems to work fine however I'm sticking with the current 50 / 50 mix because I know it works. Again, if I had a $40,000.00 or $50,000.00 truck, I wouldn't think of doing this, however the old IDI diesels will drink this stuff and not complain!
Old 07-28-2014, 08:04 PM
Elder User

Marianna2003 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for the info Catbird7. I'm planning to run @50%WMO 30%D2, and 20%Distilled Water. Lubrizol has a product called Purinox that they mix 20%water with a proprietary emulsifier and D2. WMO is an excellent emulsifier that's what makes it a detergent oil. After reading some of the posts here, I may eliminate the D2. As far as the pictures of the injector from a powerstroke, it's a direct injection engine, IDI means indirect injection and uses a prechamber to create extreme turbulence to improve combustion. This same turbulence should keep our tips clean. :-)
Old 07-28-2014, 08:04 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
bag, biodiesel, carbon, detroit, diesel, fill, filter, fitlering, frantz, fuel, injectors, rite, set, setup, truck, wmo