Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Freshman User

comp is starting off with a positive reputation.
thats what i'm looking for
Old 06-01-2008, 09:23 PM
New User

ta5150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am really curious about those toilet paper filters. I am tempted to get one because they say they filter below 1 micron, but I am a bit skeptical. I know tp does filter really well, its just hard to believe. If it really does filter below 1 micron or even at 1 micron I would buy one. It would be interesting to see how well different brands of tp perform. Hmm... time for a filter change, what'll it be, charmin ultra or cotonelle... -oh look soft 'n gentle is on sale!

Does anybody have any proof of the filtration performance of these things?
Old 06-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Senior User

DirtStripHero is starting off with a positive reputation.
I work at a Ford dealership and one of the techs there has tried using tp as a filter. He said that he has never had any problems with it. But I just don't know how well I would trust it.

2000 F-150 4.2L, 5spd, 3.55, 4x4
1984 F-350 6.9L 2wd, T-19
1980 F-250 460, c6, 4x4, pulling truck
Old 06-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Post Fiend

tjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to all
Found an interesting thread this morning that might be of value to this thread.
WMO observations... - Powerstroke Nation
The pictures tell the story. I have never seen a tip so nasty looking.

AD's, IC, Rear Disc, OBA, Tuned by Tony Built by me!

Transmission by Racer X!

Old 06-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Freshman User

comp is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtStripHero View Post
I work at a Ford dealership and one of the techs there has tried using tp as a filter. He said that he has never had any problems with it. But I just don't know how well I would trust it.
use it as a second filter
Old 06-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Junior User

travisg96 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My Grandfather said that they used Kotex during WWII when they couldn't get oil filters.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Senior User

DirtStripHero is starting off with a positive reputation.
----Found an interesting thread this morning that might be of value to this thread.
WMO observations... - Powerstroke Nation
The pictures tell the story. I have never seen a tip so nasty looking.---

I can't see the pictures but I would be interested to see both how he is filtering it and what his injector pump looks like.

2000 F-150 4.2L, 5spd, 3.55, 4x4
1984 F-350 6.9L 2wd, T-19
1980 F-250 460, c6, 4x4, pulling truck
Old 06-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Post Fiend

tjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to all
Name:  DSC00309-1.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  138.1 KB

Name:  DSC00310-2.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  138.4 KB
Here are the pictures. Only thing I know is that he is running 50%. No injection pump on the Powerstroke engine to worry about but $300 injectors (per not set!) are enough to worry about

AD's, IC, Rear Disc, OBA, Tuned by Tony Built by me!

Transmission by Racer X!

Old 06-07-2008, 05:06 PM
New User

Wow, those are some nasty injectors. Thanks for posting those on here tjbeggs. I have seen alot of international injectors, none like that. Definately from the oil. I'm glad mine are cheap.

I like the fact that greenbeast over there is going to continue use of his oil mix. It will be interesting to see how this affects a powerstroke. In all honesty after reading that bit it doesn't seem like any of his problems were due to the oil.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Senior User

1967 Turbo 6.9 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well I wish I'd seen this thread weeks ago.
I've been thinking about WMO a lot and by saving My own oil over the past few months I finally had enough so last week it was time. Ran the front tank dry no big deal My 86 has always restarted with very little bleeding. I drive 22 miles a day not far but at $479. well You know. Every thing out of the tank that will easily come out so in went 5gal 100% unfiltered wmo from My own known engines. The first two days I swapped tanks a mile or so before shut off just in case.
Tuesday night I forgot to swap tanks it was 68 the next morning and to My surprise it started right up. So no more swapping tanks. If anything performance is much better on wmo the truck really likes it. I didn't drive it at all last weekend and this is Tuesday at My normal 19mpg driving to work I should be out of fuel but according to My gauge I still have days worth of oil in the tank??
As soon as I find a source of oil I feel I can trust I will put together a filtering station and run as far as I can with this. As long as I can replace the pump and injectors so cheap on a 6.9 I don't have to skip many fill ups for this to work.

Okay just how big are the holes in the injector?
what is the smallest hole in the injection pump?
I'd like to know how anything could be smaller then 1 micron and accumulate in the injector considering the pressure and speed that fluid is force through it. If anything a higher wear of any sealing areas would be My main concern.

1967 F350 6.9 Diesel Banks Turbo GV overdrive
1973 F250 camper special Linda Lou
1974 F100 4x4 survivor never been touched
1974 F100 6.9 Diesel 2003 Crown Vic front
suspension 79 grille
Old 06-11-2008, 04:30 PM
New User

Wow, that is encouraging. Unfiltered 100%? That takes some cohones. That engine must be healthy if it starts up on straight wmo.

I lost track of gallons or miles I've run through mine, but I did experience my first problem. I added an additional fuel filter before the stock filter on my 7.3, and it plugged up. I guess I should have seen that coming, seeing as it was a 4 micron filter. 4 micron was a bit too much I think, kind of like the transfer pump was trying to push a golf ball through a garden hose. So I put a $3.29 carquest 20 micron in it's place, now fuel goes to the 20 micron, then the stock 12 micron, then injection pump. That was last Saturday, trucks been fine since. Free fuel is good.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Senior User

1967 Turbo 6.9 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The 6.9's are a very good starting diesel My 86 at nearly 290k will start right up on the coldest day We get here in Kansas. I'm surprised at how small You are able to filter. I work on a lot of hydraulic much of the additives in the oil are larger then 2 micron.

1967 F350 6.9 Diesel Banks Turbo GV overdrive
1973 F250 camper special Linda Lou
1974 F100 4x4 survivor never been touched
1974 F100 6.9 Diesel 2003 Crown Vic front
suspension 79 grille
Old 07-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Senior User

ditch witch is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wondering about Frantz filters? I had one on a 1983 Maxima diesel. Installed it about 30,000 miles because the factory filter was $20 back then and was difficult to get to.

I sold the car with 365,000 miles on it still running fine.

I purchased the TP from a restaurant supply house. 96 rolls in a box for about $20.

I've got a Frantz filter like shown in the picture except is the for 3 rolls of TP. It's for big engines-- trucks, buses. I'm thinking of putting WMO into a tank, pressurize it with air to about 30#. valve it thru this big filter and use in it trucks and tractors.

It is amazing how good they do filter. The oil never got as black after I changed that filter a few times.

'93 Ranger XLT Super Cab, 4WD, 3.0, auto
Old 07-29-2008, 10:55 PM
New User

mbablower is starting off with a positive reputation.
Look take this for what it is, I don't want to get flamed. I am usually on Oilburners but stop in here just to look. I couldn't take anymore hearing about the terrible things wmo will do.
First I am a Mechanical Engineer with twenty years of machine design experience and am currently the head engineer for a large manufacturer in Houston with over twenty degreed engineers reporting to me. I have dealt with a large number of lubrication issues in my career and have also meet with the head R&D engineers for both Shell and Exxon lubrication products.

Experience and expert opinion has consistantly confirmed that metallic dust in the sub 10 micron size are not a concern for machines designed with clearances in the thousandth's of an inche. You injector pump will fail at approximately the same time regardless of the metallic dust in WMO. The only real problem could be from increased machanical strain from pushing higher viscosity fluid.

That being said, for grins 8 years ago I bought an old F350 with a 6.9. I have run it on 100% WMO since I got it. My company has an endless supply from machines which are started and tested before shipping and then drained(literally 100's of gallons a month). Further, for five years I have been running my Twin Engine Detroit Diesel boat with no problems.

The only thing I do is run a water injector on the boat and centrifugal filter on the boat(I am a little more cautious there since a rebulid cost 30K per engine). I pulled the injectors a couple years ago and they looked good on the boat, slightly dirty on the 6.9.

I love it because the boat holds 600 gallons, a fill up is $3,500 for diesel or free! on WMO
Old 08-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Posting Guru

BlueOvalBud is starting off with a positive reputation.
So if the Toilet Paper filters last well with engine oil run through them...will the Home Water Filter (in-line plumbing type-canister with replacable element) hold up to a slurry of diesel engine oil, gas engine oil, power steering fluid, and ATF?
The filter elements are easily replacable..just wondering how they would hold up. I also was thinking that since the roll of TP is packed into the fitler housing, there was less chance for it to unroll/disentegrate. The home water filter units have quite a bit of room around the element for expansion-just wondered if the oil would expand it and allow it to come apart? I checked them out today at ACE hardware and at Tractor Supply.
ACE brand filters were available in 30, 20, 10, and 5 micron in the store. The ACE website also listed a 1 micron filter, but did not see at the store.
Tractor Supply had brand filters available in 20, 10, 5 and .5 (cool!) micron ratings.
IDI's make me
Old 08-25-2009, 05:17 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
bag, biodiesel, carbon, detroit, diesel, fill, filter, fitlering, frantz, fuel, injectors, rite, set, setup, truck, wmo