General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Health Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:12 PM
rmalottwtes30
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Health Insurance

My fathers company that he works for does not offer any type of health insurance. See the problem arises is that my mother is on a bunch of medicines and is a diabetic. Are there any legitimate companies that are worthy of checking out to get health insurance from?

Old 04-22-2008, 06:08 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
Unfortunately, coverage for her pre-existing conditions will almost certainly be excluded by any commercial carrier.

Only real choice is for someone, either her or your dad, to become an employee of a company that offers group coverage without regard to such pre-existing conditions. That means one of them will need a new job.

Steve

Old 04-22-2008, 06:18 PM
CretePumper
Senior User
Well, I can relate to that my wife is a Type 1 diabetic, just getting over a battle with APDR (Advanced Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy), as well as having children, Benefits for me are not an option they are a must, Diabetic supplies alone in a month are insane, without adding additional medications and children to the cost.

Sounds like this company you speak of are some cheap *** bottom feeders, not sure what your pops does in the construction industry, but if the Construction industry in Ohio is anything like it is here, Jobs are a dime a dozen, no need to work for Gearboxes IMHO

I have never had an issue with any work group plan I've been a member of with my wife being diabetic

There is private coverage out there , but the premiums will kill ya for a pre-existing conditions.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by CretePumper
Sounds like this company you speak of are some cheap *** bottom feeders
I take serious objection to that comment. I own a business. It is a rather young business. I offer limited health benefits. I actually offer less now than I did before. I had to cut back because I couldn't afford the skyrocketing premiums when my employees went to the emergency room for every little sniffle so they wouldn't have to miss an hour of work. Hundreds of dollars in emergency room medical costs to me so they could save the one or two hours of pay they would miss for a doctor's appointment.

And the ones that are full time still take home more than I do.

Make sure you know all the facts before you call someone a cheap *** bottom feeder.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:37 PM
rmalottwtes30
Posting Guru
This company is cheap, but he does make good money but lacks the insurance, he talked to them today and they figured it up and they said he would have to pay around $600 a month, hell he don't even pay that much without insurance on moms medicines. He just spent $128 today on insulin!

Old 04-23-2008, 12:44 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
600 is about what we pay at my company for blue cross blue shield

Old 04-23-2008, 06:37 AM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Blue Cross with my company for my wife cost me $250 a month, my employer pays my insurance and my daughter is with a private company, her premiums cost me $375 every 4 months. If she would be on my group hers would cost me $250 in addition to my wifes, so it is cheaper to keep her where she is for now.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:37 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts
You may want to look into an HSA, health savings account. While it has a high deductible, you can put money into the health savings account to cover the high deductible part. I use GoldenRule the insurance part and for my HSA.

Check with your tax preparer, some if not all of the money put into the HSA may be deductible from their adjusted gross income for their income taxes.

Does your state offer any type of coverage for those who don't have health insurance thru an employer?