1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Price of gasoline!

Old 04-24-2008, 12:20 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
I just thought of another problem with a private citizen making their own bio fuel. How will the government tax it? Sure, they'll get a little taste if you use racing fuel but I think the mix is something like 1 part racing fuel to three parts used oil. I can see it now, the government will have restraunt owners meter their incoming and outgoing oil, just as they make the body shops keep track of the thinners they use. This will add cost to the food they sell, again driving up the price of used vegetable oil.

Also, I agree with imlowr2, but in a slightly different way. When you get behind one of these vehicles using bio diesel they fill the air with the aroma of french fries and fried chicken which will make the guy behind them hungry, he'll stop at the first fast food place he can find and order a big, greasy meal. Maybe this compulsion will happen two three time a day. Now multiply that times the number of vehicles burning bio diesel Before you know it everyone will gain 50 pounds. With an average of two people in each car, adding an additional 100 pounds, which will decrease mileage 10% which will mean it will take more fuel to get anywhere!

As I said, sometimes it just doesn't seem we can win!

Old 04-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Red face

Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Right now that is the problem around here, there are several folks that are cooking up their own bio and collecting all of the WVO coming out of the resturants. It is going to become another marketable item with a pricetag to go along with it before long. I have a friend who is running 2, 6.2 powered Blazers and supplementing the fuel in his log truck with home made bio, so he is taking a lot of what is available around here.
I looked into making bio from WVO because the MB diesels that we are running are some of the best for it, but after checking on availability of WVO, I decided that it just wasn't worth it.

Hey Jeff, a buddy of mine watches that show myth busters. He said that they ran a MB or some kind of diesel car on french fry oil completely? They emptied the tank completely and ran the engine exclusively on the french fry oil. I'm not sure if that is real or not, but it is interesting? As I said before, I hate it, but I'm goin to drive mine til they take it away from me You guys havent considered this either, with the gov getting in to our business so much, they want to stop people from eating junk food and such. They've already started it with the NO smoking stuff. I'm not a smoker, BUT where does it stop??? If they try to take my KFC and Krispy Kreme donuts away, there IS going to be a FIGHT!!!

They will also try to take Bobby's frosties away too

Old 04-24-2008, 01:37 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Truxx1956
They will also try to take Bobby's frosties away too
They already tried that in the 30s. It was called Prohibition. It didn't work then and it won't work now...

Old 04-24-2008, 05:57 PM
e william
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know what my little 239-Y and it's 2-barrel carb are gonna get per gallon...But I'm really dont care, I'm gonna drive it, enjoy the heck out of it and when she's thirsty I'm gonna stop and buy her a drink!!!
We all built'em so lets enjoy'em!
later, Ed

Old 04-24-2008, 07:02 PM
ditz
Junior User
"""They already tried that in the 30s. It was called Prohibition. It didn't work then and it won't work now..."""""

Mr GreatNorthWoods

I sincerely hope you are correct....but the U.S. population is much different than in the 30's. Much more complacent. We do have a more easy going Prohibition right now only it is called DWI and it gets more stringent every year. Smoking use is another Prohibition that keeps getting stiffer every year. The next affliction to be addressed by our government will be over weight folks. The insurance company's are pushing this health stuff....... The govenment has been trying to take guns away from the general population for years and they are still nibbling away at. The time is coming no law abiding person will own a gun. Too bad.

Sorry for the rant

Old 04-24-2008, 08:30 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
IIRC, truck drivers suffer because they're getting paid last years gas price surcharges because that is how the contracts are written up. So if I had a 1 year contract with agreed upon gas at .90 cents a mile, and it costs me .60 cents a mile, that's great, but as the gas prices double (for diesel) like they did in the last 3 years, then that become's $1.20, but I'm still getting paid .90 cents a mile....I am now losing money.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:31 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Truxx1956
Hey Jeff, a buddy of mine watches that show myth busters. He said that they ran a MB or some kind of diesel car on french fry oil completely? They emptied the tank completely and ran the engine exclusively on the french fry oil.
It is real. I have tried it in my MB, but the price of new cooking oil is still higher than diesel, but I don't know for how long. I have also tried a mix of up to 50/50 diesel and used motor oil, it ran fine with little smoke. I am in the process of putting together a system to filter and mix used oil and diesel to supplement my tank. I will run up to a 25% used oil to 75% diesel, this will work out to a 25% savings at the pump!

Old 04-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Bob at warsaw
Senior User
Vote for your Elected Officials that will Talk and understand
the needs for poor people. If they dont get to work from the
price of gas, we all loose

Old 04-25-2008, 09:47 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob at warsaw
Vote for your Elected Officials that will Talk and understand
the needs for poor people. If they dont get to work from the
price of gas, we all loose
I didn't know there was any elected officials that listen to poor people?

Old 04-25-2008, 10:39 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by imlowr2
I didn't know there was any elected officials that listen to poor people?
You are right Ed, there isn't. That because lobbyists are not poor. That is who the elected officials listen to. Ever see the pocket of a lobbyist and notice the wiggling?? That is our elected officials in there. Our current excuse for a president is a good example of EO's not listening to the people. Oh nevermind, that a whole different story. Oh well.......
Jon

Old 04-26-2008, 12:27 AM
Bob at warsaw
Senior User
Ed
Well maybe it time to protest in DC, if we keep quite
nothing will happen.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:16 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I walked into a gas station this morning and asked for $5.00 worth of gas. The clerk farted and handed me a receipt...

Old 04-26-2008, 07:23 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
lmao, that's funny right there. True, but funny.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:17 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
I walked into a gas station this morning and asked for $5.00 worth of gas. The clerk farted and handed me a receipt...
Vern, Vern, Vern, give a little warning before you post something like this.Now I need to dry my keyboard and monitor off, I spit coffee all over both when I read this!

Old 04-26-2008, 10:38 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
Very funny! LOL..... I hope your gas station has a sign posted inside stating, "No Smoking!"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Price of gasoline!